Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

This is something I would be interested in learning more about, this is my first Sony TV since the 90s and my first DV set so I am still pretty green when it comes to Understanding the Menu picture functions and I know even less about what is correct with regards to the Dolby Vision eotf. That being said I should have available the tools to investigate (colour meter, calman, hdfury device for DV metadata insertion) with a raspberry pi as a pattern generator. Hopefully over the next few months as my understanding increases, I will be able to have a look.
Well, I have been looking up Dolby vision dark vs bright, well, it seems to me the colours get a major boost which I would reckon would look fake, but that maybe just me.

Here is a YouTube video from a guy with a TCL TV switching from dark to bright and you can clearly see the colour getting boosted:

If you have all that equipment I reckon you good to go and find out more than I can. You will have to let me know if you find anything useful.

Well, I have been looking up Dolby vision dark vs bright, well, it seems to me the colours get a major boost which I would reckon would look fake, but that maybe just me.

Here is a YouTube video from a guy with a TCL TV switching from dark to bright and you can clearly see the colour getting boosted:

If you have all that equipment I reckon you good to go and find out more than I can. You will have to let me know if you find anything useful.

having seen a couple of videos and a demo in real life (although under shop conditions and very brief) it’s not far off boosting gamma and setting live colour to high. Not the same, but not far off

I only have the X800.How much better is DV on UHD Blu Ray compared too HDR? If it’s only 10% it’s not worth spending £300 on the M2 just for DV.
I am going to be totally honest with you here.

When I got my XF I was most looking forward to seeing DV and the first UHD BD was tomb raider and while it was not bad it never blown me away like I thought it would, then I watched star wars UHD the first film and again great detail but again not that different from HDR.

Then I brought guardians of the galaxy and that was just normal HDR and that was great, eye popping highlights, really great looking, superb.

So, going over the years now I would say the XF does a great job of tone mapping on its own that DV is just slightly better in say the dark areas, nothing more.

If you have to outlay to get DV then I would not bother, but others may disagree with me.

Remember that on streaming and over the air services can’t use HDR due to the nature of how they work, a film with metadata with HDR only gets sent to the TV for tone mapping at the beginning of the film, if say you jump in anyway in the film but the beginning then HDR would not work, where DV is dynamic and is sent constantly, so, no matter where you jump to in a firm or series etc…, DV will always work on streaming and over the air services.

having seen a couple of videos and a demo in real life (although under shop conditions and very brief) it’s not far off boosting gamma and setting live colour to high. Not the same, but not far off
It reminds me more of vivid mode with the over blown colours and contrast and there is a slight clipping going on. So not great.

I think really the question should be “how good is Dolby vision” its designed to show content how it was produced, well, how can this be when dark is the normal setting, but its too dark, then the bright setting looks over blown, then we have DV IQ that controlled via the light sensor and that will be very different again.

Then we have the players, mine the OPPO 203 and the Panasonic DP-UB9000 show different pictures for DV but not HDR10.

Go and figure.

Last edited:
Remember that on streaming and over the air services can’t use HDR due to the nature of how they work, a film with metadata with HDR only gets sent to the TV for tone mapping at the beginning of the film, if say you jump in anyway in the film but the beginning then HDR would not work, where DV is dynamic and is sent constantly, so, no matter where you jump to in a firm or series etc…, DV will always work on streaming and over the air services.

There are certainly HDR movies available via Apple TV (alien, alien covenant, Apollo 11 are just first 3 in my library) and these are obviously streamed and you can ffwd and pause and resume all of these and the HDR flag remains.

There are certainly HDR movies available via Apple TV (alien, alien covenant, Apollo 11 are just first 3 in my library) and these are obviously streamed and you can ffwd and pause and resume all of these and the HDR flag remains.
That is good to know. I got my info from a BBC white paper, so unless Apple as some how got over this limitation I would not know.

That is good to know. I got my info from a BBC white paper, so unless Apple as some how got over this limitation I would not know.

Just trying to think how it’s any different from watching off a disk when fast forwarding or pausing or chapter skipping. All the j do is still there, it’s just the medium it’s delivered by that’s different

Hi mate

The limitation with HDR10 and streaming is that multiple streams are required based on whether the display is HDR or SDR, there was no way to contain both within one stream. For broadcast material this was not ideal and for live material it was a none starter. Issues relating to having multiple production vans, there was also the issue with available bandwith, both the Freeview muxes and the transponders at 28.2 are near capacity, which is probably why sky still do not have a dedicated UHD channel as such and hide their broadcast content behind the red button.

To get round this BBC along with NHK looked at developing a HDR format which was backwards compatible with SDR displays (so both versions can be contained in one stream) along with a streamlined production workflow suitable for live broadcasts. HLG HDR was born

Then we have the players, mine the OPPO 203 and the Panasonic DP-UB9000 show different pictures for DV but not HDR.

Go and figure.
Dolby Vision is High Dynamic Range.

Hey, I took a look on mine and I don't see the same issue that you mention.

Were you watching it live at the time or was the clip you uploaded pre-recorded? I assume you still see it if you watch it again.

Is it only this particular YouTube channel you see the issue?

Have you tried clearing the YouTube cache? Home\Settings\Apps

Otherwise not sure what it could be, especially if it's only occurring on that one channel.
Hey mate, thank you so much for trying to help! I just ran that said stream from yesterday and NO issues when playing it back. That led me to believe that it might be an isolated issue when certain youtube content is streamed live.

So, to proceed further with this, is it okay if I shoot ya a PM with the link when today's live stream starts so you can tune in and see if it happens on your TV's youtube app as well?

Thanks again!

Hey mate, thank you so much for trying to help! I just ran that said stream from yesterday and NO issues when playing it back. That led me to believe that it might be an isolated issue when certain youtube content is streamed live.

So, to proceed further with this, is it okay if I shoot ya a PM with the link when today's live stream starts so you can tune in and see if it happens on your TV's youtube app as well?

Thanks again!
Sorry, only just seen your message!
I don't mind taking a look, but I guess it all depends on what time it's on etc.
Is it on during every night?

Hi mate

The limitation with HDR10 and streaming is that multiple streams are required based on whether the display is HDR or SDR, there was no way to contain both within one stream. For broadcast material this was not ideal and for live material it was a none starter. Issues relating to having multiple production vans, there was also the issue with available bandwith, both the Freeview muxes and the transponders at 28.2 are near capacity, which is probably why sky still do not have a dedicated UHD channel as such and hide their broadcast content behind the red button.

To get round this BBC along with NHK looked at developing a HDR format which was backwards compatible with SDR displays (so both versions can be contained in one stream) along with a streamlined production workflow suitable for live broadcasts. HLG HDR was born
Spot on, I was trying to keep it very simple and short, but that’s how HLG became, it was a very interesting read the white paper if a little too long and of course that was 3 years ago before I brought my OPPO as it referred to HDR how it can only be transmitted at the beginning of a said programme, but of course things have moved on and I can’t stand streaming at the best of times, prefer downloads and discs.

Just trying to think how it’s any different from watching off a disk when fast forwarding or pausing or chapter skipping. All the j do is still there, it’s just the medium it’s delivered by that’s different
Like I said above, it was a complicated white paper, but a disc based programme from say a UHD BD the player will send out the metadata only once and will be stored even if you pause, rewind etc…, where streaming and this was from the BBC 3 years ago that it was not possible because of limitations, the whys I don’t remember but Netflix I remember reading something along them lines that they use DV for that reason, but like you said above it all works, so not a problem.

I think it's down to 2 things: people's expectations of hdr and how Dolby vision content is mastered. There are good Dolby vision content and bad Dolby vision content out there. And if someone hasn't seen hdr content before they have no point of reference.

Taking pictures is no use as it doesn't capture what your eyes will actually see if it was there. As someone who used to be woefully misinformed take it from me that beauty is really in the eyes of the beholder.
I agree, with the caveat that there is the danger of an Emperor's New Clothes syndrome in all of this. Which might explain the differences in people's experiences, or expectations.

As for pictures, I think my pictures clearly illustrate the issue with badly implemented DV. In fact, they don't go far enough to illustrate the problem.

Dolby Vision is High Dynamic Range.
I think now I had some sleep lol, that what you mistaken what I was saying was HDR10 as I missed the 10 off HDR if that mattered as UHD BD discs have the base HDR10 and most but not all have Dolby vision.

Found the video from YouTube from HDTV test that Vincent reviews the Panasonic DP-UB9000 UHD player and he goes in to Dolby vision on the panny player and comparing it to the OPPO 203 and you can see clearly how Dolby vision is different vs HDR10.

It starts from the timestamp I selected.

I will preface this by saying I’m not a huge fan of “copying and pasting” of people’s settings and fully aware of the pitfalls and the various issues that can effect tv picture and that what works for one does not work for another. Also, as I have said countless time’s, I’m a fair believe that a “perfect picture” is one that looks best to the owner / user of the tv.

I’ve been lucky enough in past to have fully blacked out room and have TVs and projectors professionally calibrated but now real life has taken over and I just have to make do with what I have.

Anyway, all that said.

The other day I stumbled across a post on another forum (it’s a competing forum I suppose with similar name but I’ll not link as not sure how that fits in with the rules)

Anyway I then read with interest one user who I have chatted with before and whose opinions I have always respected and saw his latest picture settings. Being bored I tried the ones he had for SDR BT.1886 2.4 gamma just to see what happened. I copied them exactly, although did up my brightness from his suggested 3 as my room is very bright

And wow. Was very very impressed. Had been working way through gangs of London via now tv (using the crappy Apple TV app) and the picture was massively improved from my previous settings (which in themselves are very close to a user here, although forgive me, I know we have chatted about it before but can’t remember name)

Anyway, I’ll not copy them here as think that may be bad form and again realise it’s a us based forum, but would certainly recommend if you have twenty minutes to see what think. The guy ins user name is Anderegg.

Thanks for this, managed to find the mentioned settings and give them ago. Initial impressions are they look good. :smashin:

Thanks for this, managed to find the mentioned settings and give them ago. Initial impressions are they look good. :smashin:

i have yet to try the HDR ones, but SDR settings have my picture looking best I have seen it and I was VERY happy with my previous settings.

Hi mate, this happens on mine, it is likely a hdmi cable issue.

It also happened on my Samsung but I got round it by setting the chroma to 4:2:0, on the xf only 4:4:4 is available unless I disable enhanced on the hdmi ports (which I don't want to do)

It's fine for movies because the bandwidth requirement is reduced due to the lower framerate.

A temp workaround which would show that it is the cable would be to set the home screen to 4k30sdr, enable dynamic range/framerate match so movie content still works. If the black screens stop on the menus etc then this will confirm that either one or all cables in your chain cannot cope with the 18gb requirement

I have some replacement hdmi cables on order which should arrive today
Hi @chopples - Were you able to resolve your issue with your new hdmi cables?

Tried to get some help on Bravia subreddit, but to no success. I am once again asking you for your tech support😂

"I tried using Bravia Sync to use one remote (Sony's TX-300E) for both the TV itself and Set Top Box. Wanted to use Sony's remote to switch Set Top Box channels, change volume of the set top box and to turn off the Set Top Box and the TV with one button. Therefore, I enabled the HDMI CEC in the Set Top Box settings.

Unfortunately, that's where the problem occurs. Even though I successfully sync the Set Top Box with the TV using the Bravia Sync, when I click on "select connected device" it says "Accessing... please wait" and some 15 seconds later I'm hit with the error message "Communication failed. Please check your connection or cable". And I'm stuck in this loop no matter what.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or could it be that for this model and this certain combination of Set Top Box + X900F I must do something else? Maybe the Set Top Box must/can only be "synced" with the TV using the IR Blaster cable?

Anyways, I'm just guessing and I don't know what else to do other than the Bravia sync settings I tried already.

Provided a video to show what it looks like for me and to show how the HDMI shows up in the Bravia Sync, but then doesn't allow me to control it :/

Please let me know there's something I can do about this lol.
Thanks in advance"

Hello all,

Looking at getting a new TV. With help from this forum i have narrowed it down to the list below. Basically the list is in HDR and 4k content, top being this set. As its a 2018 set and about £720 at the moment, is it a good buy even though its 2 years old now?
95% of content will be HDR or 4k. Thank you.

1. Sony BRAVIA KD55XF9005BU £728 with code
2. Sony Bravia KD49XG9005BU £777 with code
3. Panasonic TX50GX800B £574
4. SONY BRAVIA KD43XG8096BU £450
5. LG 43UM7500PLA £349

Hello all,

Looking at getting a new TV. With help from this forum i have narrowed it down to the list below. Basically the list is in HDR and 4k content, top being this set. As its a 2018 set and about £720 at the moment, is it a good buy even though its 2 years old now?

5. LG 43UM7500PLA £349
Firstly, they are all different sizes? So, if I was after the bigger TV it be number 1, plus the XG looks the same as the XF its just that it as a faster CPU, but if that came at a cost and a smaller screen it be the XF hands down.

TVS 3 to 5 that’s up to you if you need to save money, but I would firmly go for the XF.

Hello all,

5. LG 43UM7500PLA £349
Definitely the XF, even if you were to consider the XG I would double check the specs as I believe they are lower than the larger models. In fact im sure I read somewhere that its basically a rebadged XF. The XF really is awesome.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom