Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

No haven’t tried it. I’m stuck in the dark ages and like physical media. I’m sure there are others in this thread that have though :)

Yes they play fine with no stuttering just make sure there isn't too many subtitles on the file nor audio streams or it seems to stop every 40 mins and requires a full TV restart.

The TV doesn't like 24bit audio tracks either fyi

Yes they play fine with no stuttering just make sure there isn't too many subtitles on the file nor audio streams or it seems to stop every 40 mins and requires a full TV restart.

The TV doesn't like 24bit audio tracks either fyi
Thanks my pc gtx970 wasn’t doing the trick

Hey guys. I look Narcos season 2 Mexico and the movement of every person and object is blurry / shaking. That's how it works for every movie. Think about returning TV. Over KODI On shield tv pro 2019 i switched the resolution from 4K 60p to 1080p 23.976p and still gets pretty much shaky and blurred. I thought Sony had a great move, but unfortunately he didn't. The movies are terrible. The friend owns the Samsung 65" Q70 and has almost no blur or shake in the movies.

I’m guessing either something is not setup right or you have a fault as I’ve never seen motion as good on a flat panel

Hey guys. I look Narcos season 2 Mexico and the movement of every person and object is blurry / shaking. That's how it works for every movie. Think about returning TV. Over KODI On shield tv pro 2019 i switched the resolution from 4K 60p to 1080p 23.976p and still gets pretty much shaky and blurred. I thought Sony had a great move, but unfortunately he didn't. The movies are terrible. The friend owns the Samsung 65" Q70 and has almost no blur or shake in the movies.
What are your current motionflow settings?

Hi Razer08. My motionflow is smoothness 1 clearness 1 film mode off. When i turn film mode on i get SOE . i dont like this. I don't know where the problem I'm desperate.

Either your set up/source is faulty or your set because no way will you get better motion on Q70.

Hi Razer08. My motionflow is smoothness 1 clearness 1 film mode off. When i turn film mode on i get SOE . i dont like this. I don't know where the problem I'm desperate.

Why are you watching Netflix through KODI rather than the internal app?

Are you watching everything through KODI?

Do you have any other sources you can test?

thank you guys for your answers. I also think there is a problem in the settings, but I don't know where. Hi Mallet movies I watch from hdd via nvidia shield for 2019 and kodi. Yes I tried to watch through the tv from hdd and the result of the same shake / blur is pretty visible. I don't know if the TV or settings are defective. Sorry to bother you but I don't know what to do. I love this TV has beautiful colors, picture, but the motion blur is bad. I want to enjoy TV and watch normal movies without motion blur and SOE. I've also tried cinema pro and movie mode hight but there's still motion blur visible.

Have you tried your Shield / Kodi setup on your friends set which you seem to like the motion of ?

That would be my first port of call

I had 2 Shield / Kodi setups for a long time and as good a bit of kit as they are, Kodi was never perfect and no matter how many times peopel tweak and play with the settings they never seem to be right for everything

Have you tried watching one of your movies via another medium / device

So a blu ray version or a version from a legit streaming source ?
How do movies look via Netflix or Prime using the inbuilt apps or apps on another device ?

In short, for now, remove the Shield from the chain and see if the issues are Shield related or TV related

As said before, Ive never seen motion as good on a flat panel as I have on this set so for me it suggests either a fault with your set (possibly unlikely) or its not configured correctly ?

The movies on the HDD, are they "legit" - have you ripped them yourself from disc ?
If so how does that same disc look when played back ?

Not judgning but remember movies streamed from the various Kodi addons or downloaded via non legit means are obviously not 1:1 copies and again this may lead to issues ?

Finally have you downloaded the framerate utility for the shield as previously mentioned and covered here in the shield thread ?

dunkle thank you for the quick answer. Yes I tried movies without nvidia shield ...on tv and the result the same. Of course I have bluray movies I watch through PS4 the result of the same blurring fast moving everywhere. The picture is normal only when the camera is not moving. Movies on hdd I just have to try from a friend. I don't have Netflix, but I plan to buy it when I have a good move and no blur.

Found this on a projector thread, this explains why Dolby Vision was awful on the xf for so long, improved now via firmware updates on the Netflix app but I assume all Dolby Vision content is much better on a dedicated player

"Technically, I don't have a problem with something trying to patch together DV on the fly by doing some form of DTM on the stream. I am not sure what the feature in the Oppo is doing with "player led DV" or why that feature even exists in the player. Let's assume it does *something* or it wouldn't be there. But who knows what :)

Edit, doing some research, it appears Sony TV's don't have the horsepower to handle DV so they require the player to do some preprocessing. It's unclear what this means or what needs to be done. If it's some form of decoding where the player basically decodes the data into HDR mode by tone mapping it, then it wouldn't be limited to just Sony TV's I'd think. Unless it's some requirement by Dolby to limit to this use-case. It's also possible that if this is what a player was doing that it could try to do a quick and dirty tone map on content that wasnt DV to output in that format for improved picture. Here is what I uncovered although its still pretty vague:

"According to OPPO, who have communicated with some of its US based customers, Sony has adopted what they are calling a ‘low latency’ Dolby Vision profile, created specifically by Dolby to implement in Sony TVs. The decision for Sony to include Dolby Vision support in some of its high-end TVs came very late in the day at CES 2017 so it appears the hardware for Dolby Vision wasn’t fully in place and this low latency profile is something of a joint hack between the two parties.

For this low latency profile to work, OPPO says more pre-processing duties are placed on the source devices, whereas with other manufacturers, most of the processing work is undertaken on the TVs side. The up-shot of this is that firmware updates will be required from the likes of OPPO and Apple to make their devices work with this new profile. The onus on the source device to perform added processing lends further credence to the thought that the Mediatek SoCs deployed in these TVs were a little underpowered; they certainly don't appear to have much headroom, at least. It is understood that the quality of Dolby Vision HDR experience will not be affected once the firmware is in place.
"

Okay, so I'm using HDMI 2 - an improved signal format 4K.

Denon receiver hdmi to sony TV.

Nvidia shield to denon.

Sony tv setup: firmware 8.0.0

HDMI 2 - 3840x2160p format full

picture mod personal
picture mod auto off
reality creation off
mastered in 4k off
others setting all off
motionflow personal smoothness 1 clearness 1 film mode off
mod HDR auto video HDMI auto COLOR auto

Found this on a projector thread, this explains why Dolby Vision was awful on the xf for so long, improved now via firmware updates on the Netflix app but I assume all Dolby Vision content is much better on a dedicated player...
I used to have a LG B6 OLED TV and Dolby Vision was dreadful (amongst lots of other things) on that too.

...motionflow personal smoothness 1 clearness 1 film mode off...
Smoothness at 1 has virtually no effect with film mode off.

I updated to Oreo PKG6.6545.0255EUA yesterday and ever since had the problem described on the Sony download page for v6.5830. Anyone else get this and know of a fix other than turning everything off and on again? If sony made it available I would just revert to the pre Oreo version.

"We identified that our latest Android 8.0 Oreo update can occasionally cause a no sound symptom from certain Sound Bars, A/V Receivers or Home Theater Systems if the TV has been on standby for a long period of time."

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom