Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Are your screwdrivers getting a grip or are they just slipping? If so your screwdrivers could be worn or you’ve rounded off the screw head. :)

That would be my next step. :)

Over the past week when watching SDR content, by blacks no longer appear to be black, but instead dark grey.
Other TV and normal viewing looks pretty good, but black screens and letterboxes just don't look jet black anymore.
HDR also looks spot on and as dark as expected.
I've updated to the latest version of the firmware (was already on Oreo) and checked my settings and all appears to be normal. Any other suggestions as to what could be happening?

Over the past week when watching SDR content, by blacks no longer appear to be black, but instead dark grey.
Other TV and normal viewing looks pretty good, but black screens and letterboxes just don't look jet black anymore.
HDR also looks spot on and as dark as expected.
I've updated to the latest version of the firmware (was already on Oreo) and checked my settings and all appears to be normal. Any other suggestions as to what could be happening?
After you updated to the very latest firmware did you then do a factory reset?

Some of my settings have changed when i did a fresh 'calibration' after doing the above process.

After you updated to the very latest firmware did you then do a factory reset?

Some of my settings have changed when i did a fresh 'calibration' after doing the above process.
No - but just to clarify this was happening before updating to the latest firmware, I might have to factory reset although always reluctant to!
I've also not got the kit to calibrate, so just copying other people from here, but been absolutely happy with the settings so far.

I thought I put my thoughts on Oreo and my analyzing the dimming control on Oreo.

Okay, I been testing some footage of films, series, games on my 65” and wow, what a difference. Firstly, the picture is fantastic, it’s like I upgraded the TV and to a bigger size and after testing a few things out I come to this conclusion.

Blooming is way less than on my 55” I would say 50% less, as my torture test scene is from pan when the 3 dudes are sitting by a camp fire and it lights up the bottom black bar like a Christmas tree on most TVs I tested, but now its slight.

This one it came clear, the viewing angles are wider? Been a bigger TV it should be worse, but no its better as I have to go right off at an angle, so its clear this is not the same panel used in the 55” and 49” and because of this no calibration should be used from 65” to 55” or the other way round.

Now Oreo the good parts are that it boots faster, its faster on button pressing etc…, and Game mode now reaches 1300nits tracking from the old non-Oreo 800nits.

Bad part is the calibration controls are a nightmare and shouldn’t be, 4pt and below act very slight if at all when dimming is enabled, and when dimming is disabled the blue channel goes wild.

Now for the calibration part, its best if you can calibrate with the 10pt only and not use the 2pt, as when the dimming is doing its thing I found that it can swing all over the place when the screen is only showing 10% coverage to 100% coverage.

If you calibrate with dimming disabled and then enable it, then you have made things worse? Strange one that Sony did not see this, so anyway always enable dimming on medium for SDR and while displaying 10% windows adjust the 10pt but when you make an adjustment jump to a 100% window and see what the dimming is doing and you will find the Red channel as a life of its own, it will jump all over the place while the other 2 channels will mostly act right. What you will find on my 65” anyway that after all is done there was not much to do, but I improved the overall picture and HDR was another story, but much the same, but you keep to 10% windows , but at 40% brightness there is zero adjustments that would work to get the red channel down its just broke, the 2pt worked but upset the apple cart, so I leave it be and all is great.

So, here are two pictures of the dimming so you can see what’s going on.

First picture is tracking from 10% windows, keep an eye on the red channel.
window-jpg.1245116

Now, this is the second picture at 100% windows again look at the red channel as you can see its swapped position, so anything that using 50% of the screen it will be flat, and all measurements are at 0.4 delta error or below.
full-jpg.1245115

So, I a happy with this calibration and will post them up in a few days and I will be re-doing my 55” calibration in a few weeks as its packed up before selling it on in the classifieds and will post them up as well.

Attachments

• Full.jpg
    Full.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 2,254
  • Window.jpg
    Window.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 2,257
Nice to know that my 'rookie' thoughts and own opinions of the viewing angles and blooming are confirmed. Back on rtings basic settings plus tweeks and looking forward to your calibration.

Now Oreo the good parts are that it boots faster, its faster on button pressing etc…, and Game mode now reaches 1300nits tracking from the old non-Oreo 800nits.

Is the increase in nits due to the panel itself or is it universal for all sets that have upgraded to Oreo?

Also, I'm really surprised by the 1300 nits number. I thought the max limit was around just over 1000 for this set? Isn't 1300 XG territory?

Looking forward to your settings!

Bad part is the calibration controls are a nightmare and shouldn’t be, 4pt and below act very slight if at all when dimming is enabled, and when dimming is disabled the blue channel goes wild.
Same as mine.
swing all over the place when the screen is only showing 10% coverage to 100% coverage.
I found that the first reading was bad, but if you wait a few seconds for the local dimming to "stabilise" then you get a more accurate one. Not sure if it's the tv's local dimming that is slow.
but at 40% brightness there is zero adjustments that would work to get the red channel down its just broke
Yeah there is always one interval that is broken and for me this was 10% last update and now it's 30/40% so a little juggling had to be done.

Overall your results are good and the increased nits is interesting.

I thought the max limit was around just over 1000 for this set? Isn't 1300 XG territory?
Technically 1100+ is XG95 territory but mine hits 1100 so the lines between the two models are blurry.

I found that the first reading was bad, but if you wait a few seconds for the local dimming to "stabilise" then you get a more accurate one. Not sure if it's the tv's local dimming that is slow.
Yes, that’s correct and yes to for waiting for dimming to stabilize, but that’s manly on HDR, not SDR as on SDR it was instant.

Is the increase in nits due to the panel itself or is it universal for all sets that have upgraded to Oreo?
Its universal to all Oreo sets.
Also, I'm really surprised by the 1300 nits number. I thought the max limit was around just over 1000 for this set? Isn't 1300 XG territory?

Looking forward to your settings!
No, you are mixing up light output to tracking, when a TV goes in to HDR it tracks the metadata to the light output of the TV, so this TV is 1000nits, so a film with a 1000nits luminance there is no tracking, but as it increases it as to lower light output as we go up to 4000nits tracking.

Just play something in HDR and pause on a bright scene and switch between Cinema pro and Home and you will see that Pro is brighter as it tracks 1700nits then clips, now switch to Home and it will seem dull as it tracks around 4000nits, but shows all details in clouds etc…

My setting will be up tomorrow:smashin:.

Everything I can say is anybody keen on purchasing this TV will not be frustrated. HDR is extraordinary. I viewed Netflix, the specular reflections were marvelous. Unquestionably an increasingly customary focus stand would be undeniably more stylishly satisfying on the eye just as having various different focal points,

I've just edited that post to match my slightly tweaked updated settings following a USB firmware upgrade and factory data reset of you wanted to checked and adjust.

What is your source of interest?
My cable provider, the resolution is below 1080.

Anybody got an issue where if you set "Auto local dimming" it's setting it for both normal viewing and for HDR? I ideally want it HIGH for HDR and MEDIUM for non-HDR but it's essentially copying the setting over to both, it's not copying the X-tended Dynamic Range setting though, that appears to be independent.
Dolby Vision (which my 4k BluRay doesn't support) looks spot on on both.
Interestingly I've always had it on Expert 1 colour, this might be more correct but changed it yesterday to Warm and found the whites are a lot more white and pop more making it look more realistic to my untrained eys so think I'm going to stick with Warm.

Everything I can say is anybody keen on purchasing this TV will not be frustrated. HDR is extraordinary. I viewed Netflix, the specular reflections were marvelous. Unquestionably an increasingly customary focus stand would be undeniably more stylishly satisfying on the eye just as having various different focal points,

No idea what this means but that's definitely the most adverbs I've seen in a single sentence so well done.

I think what @lin8995 is trying to say is that nobody would be disappointed with the picture quality. That a better stand would be good, also better viewing angles. My guess is English is not @lin8995 first language. I could be wrong though. :)

Hello guys, i also have xf9005 55' and i did the last oreo firmware update via usb stick, do i necessary do the factory reset?

Hello guys, i also have xf9005 55' and i did the last oreo firmware update via usb stick, do i necessary do the factory reset?
General consensus is if you don't have any issues, then you don't need to do a factory reset. If you start seeing any odd behavior or broken things, do a factory reset.
If you have time now and want to be sure everything will be OK - then do a factory reset!

Last edited:
Yes, I would, I found that the blue channel on my 55” was more at 7pt up, did a FR and all was good.

Really no harm in doing a reset as then you know its working as it should be.

Here you are guys my calibration settings for the 65” model, as always I am using cinema Pro for HDR, Cinema Home for SDR as it as just a little better gamma tracking.

You know the drill, if you want to know more info click here : Sony KD XF9005 Owners and Discussion Thread for the old non-Oreo settings for the info to any questions, saves re-writing them.

Some settings have (personal preference) this is my own take on how it looks best to me, please just set what you like the best here.

Remember to check after you apply my calibration settings with some full felid screens from 10 to 100 white screens to see if everything looks good and no tinting (SDR).

Sony XF9005 Settings: 65"

Profile: CINEMA HOME (SDR)

Brightness: 5 (120CDM/Nits) Clearness on 1 for 120nits set 7, Clearness on 2 for 120nits set 19.
Daytime 13 (200Nits) Clearness on 1 for 200nits set 15, Clearness on 2 for 200nits set 42.

Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black Level: 50
Black adjust: OFF
ADV. Contrast Enhancer: High (personal preference)
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off

Colour: 53
Hue: 0
Colour temperature: Expert 1
Live Colour: Off

ADV. COLOUR TEMPERATURE:

2-point control:

R-GAIN: MAX
G-GAIN: Max
B-GAIN: Max

R-BIAS: 0
G-BIAS: 0
B-BIAS: 0

10-point control:

1PT

R-OFFSET: 0
G-OFFSET: 0
B-OFFSET: 0

2PT

3PT

4PT

5PT

6PT

G-OFFSET: -1
B-OFFSET: -1

7PT

R-OFFSET: 1

8PT

9PT

R-OFFSET: 1

10PT

G-OFFSET: -3
B-OFFSET: -1

---------------

Sharpness: 55 (personal preference)
Reality Creation: Auto (personal preference)
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction Off
Smooth gradation: Low

Motionflow: True Cinema
Film mode High

-------------------------------------------------------------
Settings for HDR and Dolby Vision.

Profile: CINEMA PRO

Brightness: 5 (DOES NOT MATTER AS TV WILL SWITCH TO MAX AUTO)

Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black Level: 50
Black adjust: OFF
ADV. Contrast Enhancer: OFF
Auto Local Dimming: High
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off (will auto switch to max)

Colour: 50
Hue: 0
Colour temperature: Expert 2
Live Colour: Off

ADV. COLOUR TEMPERATURE:

2-point control:

R-GAIN: Max
G-GAIN: Max
B-GAIN: Max

R-BIAS: 0
G-BIAS: 0
B-BIAS: 0

10-point control:

1PT

R-OFFSET: 2
B-OFFSET: -8

2PT

3PT

B-OFFSET: -2

4PT

R-OFFSET: -3
B-OFFSET: -2

5PT

6PT

7PT

8PT

R-OFFSET: 3

9PT

10PT

G-OFFSET: -7
B-OFFSET: -5
--------------------------
Sharpness: 55 (personal preference)
Reality Creation: Auto (personal preference)
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction Off
Smooth gradation: Low

Motionflow: True Cinema
Film mode High

Last edited:
I thought I add this about meter profiling as a couple of users have PM me asking questions about it and I thought this is the right time with my settings above.

What I going to do is show what my settings look like with a profile loaded to the meter from a spectrometer and without.

So, first picture is my SDR calibration using 10% windows with my meter with a loaded profile, as you can see from my settings above there is a few light adjustments and that’s all.
meter-profiled-jpg.1245500

Now the second picture is with my meter with no profile just out of the box. As you can see the blue channel is way to high, but the red is gone under by a massive level, if I calibrated on my XF with this meter like this it would be very pink to red looking picture and there would have to be a massive adjustment to the blue and red channels which would be wrong as I did test this and by eye looks very off.
meter-no-profile-jpg.1245499

Please keep in mind that every meter is different, one maybe worser or you may have one that is right on the dot, but the problem is that you would never know.

Hope this helps anyone that’s thinking of getting in to calibrating their own TV as I heard that some Pro calibrators would profile your meter if you asked them which would be cheaper than buying a spectrometer.

Attachments

• Meter No-profile.jpg
    Meter No-profile.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 2,114
  • Meter Profiled.jpg
    Meter Profiled.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 2,120
No - but some anomalies have been sorted by a simple -
Turn off.
Disconnect at the mains for a minute.
Turn on the power and turn on the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom