Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Indeed, they all have to be cool now and do different aspect ratios. I would much prefer all the TV content to be in 16:9.
Plus, when watching in a dark room (and especially with bias lighting behind the TV) the black bars make the TV look like its got big top and bottom bezels negating the push for thin bezels.
Am I being too picky? ;)

Have you tried a different hdmi cable to rule it out? :)

I haven't tried another cable yet, but I think that if the cable was defective it would be annoying even when playing, but there is a perfect picture.

I have this hdmi:

Mmmm that’s odd. As you say if the cable was defective then you would expect the game to have the sparkles as well. Does it do it on other sources eg Blu-ray?

Unfortunately I don't have another device. I only have an Xbox. If I use Kodi from Xbox then everything is ok. I think it only happens when the one is used HDMI enhanced mode.

This is just me guessing but if its happening randomly rather than when the signal changes then that setting will only mask the problem not fix it. Which is fine if you're happy with that so long as the message disappears. I'd have thought 9 times out of 10 these types of faults are probably down to the cable.

Thanks, reseated currenl;ty cable at both ends and probelm has gone so far!

Thanks

A

Plus, when watching in a dark room (and especially with bias lighting behind the TV) the black bars make the TV look like its got big top and bottom bezels negating the push for thin bezels.
Am I being too picky? ;)

Nope, I agree totally, would help with annoying blooming in black bars too. Wouldn't remove blooming but, would minimise it. I always notice it more in cinemascope content.

I suspect 53 is the magic number. I tested p3 tracking today and red seems to be the problematic colour. Then I did a colour checker test and results were very accurate so I'm not sure what to make of it. Only wish I could calibrate dv but that means that I need calman as dv has a golden reference which is unique to this tv.
I use colour value 56. But more importantly I use colour temperature of Warm. I tried for over a year to use Expert 1, but I just find it too yellow. I don't find whites to be truly white with Expert 1 and Expert 2 is even worse. Warm is perfect to my eyes, but of course this is where personal subjectivity comes in.

In terms of choosing the colour 56 value, that's just to using my colour filter card which @Razer08 warned me about :O . Using this card is also how I readjusted from hue G1 to 0, and also arrived at Live colour Low.

Like I said earlier, a few changes for me but nothing major.
Thanks, guys, for posting:smashin:.

Yes, it seems better having a higher setting on the colour to correct tracking, but I was thinking that the TV can’t fill the container on HDR, so maybe the tracking is correct?

Well, after a lot of digging in white papers I found out that HDR/DV does not work the same as we think, the colour control clips detail in colour like too much contrast, so I looked on my HDR suite and in the miscellaneous patterns I found the clipping colour test pattern and yes, anything higher than 50 clips Red, Blue, Magenta and the nit value starts to roll off. All channels run on Pro at 1700nits, but as soon as the colour value is raised it started to clip detail, on 53 the value is 1200nits on the above colours while the others remain at full tracking.

So, I will leave the colour control alone even if my meter telling me otherwise.

@Mallett94 yes them cards can be wrong, they work well on CRT I found but on other displays they act very differently, on one monitor I had in 2009 I tested mine and it said it needed more green, I adjusted it until it said it was correct, then placed a meter on to find it was off by 15%. So just be careful in your adjustment with it.

@Razer08 yes, 53 for SDR is smack on. I tested DV via my OPPO as it reconverts, but I been thinking of buying the DV test patterns that are now available, but the HDR settings I have work just the same, so will see on that one.

I do suspect the problem with Oreo is the support of AutoCal as before on the non-Oreo update the controls to 10pt worked just fine. After finishing off I tested the 10 pt. and 4pt and below there is no control on SDR, on HDR only 1Pt as any control at 5% brightness. So really, all we have is a 6pt control.

If anyone is interested I have just re-done my picture settings on the latest PKG6.6545 firmware following a factory data reset. There are a few differences from before. Nothing major but I think it has resulted in a slightly more accurate and therefore better image.

Also following some of the in depth discussion and analysis over the last few days, I've taken the decision to leave my ALD on Medium for everything except DV where I've put it back up to High. This is because the DV preset has its own ALD setting separate to say CInema Pro which shares its ALD setting between SDR and HDR mode. I've also chosen to 'calibrate' only Cinema Pro so that I don't have to switch between Home and Pro depending on SDR or HDR content.

Have a great day everyone.

Thanks Mallett, as always struggle to keep up with your settings! Used them from day one and found them useful, Im a set it and forget it and don't have time to fiddle about too much with the picture. Thanks for the update! Appreciated.

so is the general consensus to stay on Nougat then? Was gonna do the update today, I've downloaded the file to my USB and everything. It seemed to have a positive effect to the overall picture and performance of my XE9005, which I did a few weeks ago.

so is the general consensus to stay on Nougat then? Was gonna do the update today, I've downloaded the file to my USB and everything. It seemed to have a positive effect to the overall picture and performance of my XE9005, which I did a few weeks ago.
I wouldn't hesitate to install the latest Oreo.

Hi has anyone had issues trying to remove the screws at the back of the tv (so you can mount it). I have tried with numerous screwdrivers and nothing seems to work....:thumbsdow

Hi has anyone had issues trying to remove the screws at the back of the tv (so you can mount it). I have tried with numerous screwdrivers and nothing seems to work....:thumbsdow
No mate ..sounds odd, ive had mine on and off a few times without hassle ...infact a few days ago i had Sony TV engineers out to do a repair and had the whole back off the TV in 2 minutes. I know this isn't what you want to hear !

Last edited:
Just a quick one folks ...when i had the Sony engineers at the house i asked them about the old "if you cut the factory moulded plug off " to maybe fit down conduit inside a wall or just to extend the mains lead ..does this void your warranty and they said No ..they said many times they have went to jobs and there is a none moulded plug on or an extended wire on and they just continue with the repair ...interesting !!

I can't stop reading this forum lol. I enter here everyday to see what you guys have to say. By the way, I updated the TV a few weeks ago but I didn't do a factory reset and all the settings I had before are there. Should I do it and set them all again? Although I would like to try some of yours settings though. Does anyone has some good settings for a PS4 (regular, not Pro) that I can try? for the SRD and HDR content I usually use the built in apps (Youtube/Netflix) and blurays go through my PS4 (for that I set up a "Cinema Pro", but I have the feeling that "Cinema Home" has better results).

*Last edited 12th Jan 2020 - Android 8 - PKG6.6545* Here are my most up to date picture settings. From now on I will have a link in my signature to this post and if I change anything going forward I will just amend this post. Note that my gamma level of 0 is dictated by my room setup in the house.

General settings for all SDR viewing (TV, Netflix, Amazon, Blu-Rays, DVDs) -->
Picture Mode Cinema Pro
Brightness Max (if you don't want to use light sensor manually set it to 17ish)
Contrast 92
Gamma 0
Black Level 51
Black Adjust Off
Adv. Contrast enhancer Off
Light sensor Enabled (if you do enable this Brightness needs to be at MAX for it to work properly)
Auto local dimming Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range Low
Colour 56
Hue 0
Colour temperature Warm
Advanced Colour settings Factory default
Live Colour Low
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Auto
Random noise reduction Off
Digital noise reduction Off
Smooth gradation Medium
Video options All Auto

General settings for all HDR10 viewing -->
Picture Mode Cinema Pro HDR
Brightness Max
Contrast 92
Gamma 0
Black Level 51
Black Adjust Off
X-tended Dynamic Range High
Colour 56
Hue 0
Colour temperature Warm
Live Colour Low
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Auto
Smooth gradation Medium
Video options All Auto

SDR Gaming -->
Auto picture mode Off
Picture Mode Game
Brightness Max (if you don't want to use light sensor manually set it to 17ish)
Contrast 92
Gamma 0
Black Level 51
Black Adjust Off
Light sensor Enabled (if you do enable this Brightness needs to be at MAX for it to work properly)
Colour 56
Hue 0
Colour temperature Warm
Live Colour Low
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Auto
Smooth gradation Low (Game mode default)
Video options All Auto

HDR10 Gaming -->
Auto picture mode Off
Picture Mode Game HDR
Brightness Max
Contrast 92
Gamma 0
Black Level 51
Black Adjust Off
Colour 56
Hue 0
Colour temperature Warm
Live Colour Low
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Auto
Smooth gradation Low (Game mode default)
Video options All Auto

Dolby Vision -->
Picture Mode Dolby Vision HDR
Brightness Max
Contrast Max (DV preset default)
Gamma 0
Black Level 51
Black Adjust Off
Auto local dimming High
Colour 56
Hue 0
Colour temperature Warm
Live Colour Off
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Auto
Smooth gradation Off (very important to be off otherwise detrimental to image)
Video options All Auto
-------------------------------------------------------
This section is for motion settings.

HDMI 1 - Apple TV (used almost exclusively for BT Sport and NowTV Sport, but when watching ATV+ I change Smoothness to 0) -->
Motionflow Custom
Smoothness 3
Clearness 1
Film mode High

HDMI 2 - PS4 Pro (Games only) -->
Motionflow Custom
Smoothness 0 (greyed out)
Clearness 1
Film mode Off (greyed out)

Built-in Freeview, HDMI3 - PS3 (as Blu-Ray & DVD player) & Built-in apps e.g. Netflix, Prime Video, Youtube, iPlayer etc -->
Motionflow Custom
Smoothness 0 (2 for iPlayer UHD HLG HDR content)
Clearness 1
Film mode High

every time you update your settings I’m always amazed just how similar our settings are. I think with exception of me having expert 1 colour and now having light sensor off (due to the issues previously mentioned) your standard day to day sdr settings are exactly same as mine

actually they are exactly same but I don’t have extended in for sdr, my gamma is -1 and I use expert 1 for colour (brightness is 17!)

Last edited:
every time you update your settings I’m always amazed just how similar our settings are. I think with exception of me having expert 1 colour and now having light sensor off (due to the issues previously mentioned) your standard day to day sdr settings are exactly same as mine

actually they are exactly same but I don’t have extended in for sdr, my gamma is -1 and I use expert 1 for colour (brightness is 17!)

Hahahaha very good! Do you have any fancy calibration equipment or just sort of fine tuning over time?

Do you have any other devices attached to your TV out of interest?

Hahahaha very good! Do you have any fancy calibration equipment or just sort of fine tuning over time?

Do you have any other devices attached to your TV out of interest?

i used to bugger about with all that. Used to have room with painted black ceiling and full light control. But then family and mortgage came along, time became short and realised life to short to bugger about watching the picture and I went back to watching the film

I know do it all by eye.

I have all my devices going by Sony 1080 amp
Xbox one x, Apple TV, free sat box

the amp has two outputs so have Xbox going to different tv input so can have game mode

I use the following:
General settings for all SDR viewing (TV, Netflix, Amazon, Blu-Rays, DVDs) -->

Picture Mode Cinema Home

Brightness Max (used to be 17)

Contrast 92

Gamma 0

Black Level 51

Black Adjust Off

Light sensor Enabled (used to be disabled)

Auto local dimming High

Colour 56

Hue G1

Colour temperature Warm

Advanced Colour settings Default

Live Colour Off

Sharpness 50

Reality Creation Auto

Smooth gradation Medium

Video options All Auto

Motionflow Custom, Smoothness 3 (progressive source signal)/4 (interlaced source signal), Clearness 1, Film mode/Cinemotion High.

Let me know how you find it.
Thanks, looks good even tho the source is in bad quality.

So having had a month of this TV on early review calibrations I am now on oreo and still quite happy although still wading through what I feel are the best settings. I am sitting in anticipation of 007L2KILL's final settings for the 65 as the initial 55 inch settings looked (after a tweek or two) not too dis-similar to the previous Panny Oled. I think it may have been some added blue tint and extra sharpness but I liked it. I have sat through A couple of movies tonight with the original FlatpanelsHD settings but I'm honestly not taken. This all has made me aware that I should be jotting settings down coz I've forgotten what I did. 🤣

Thanks, looks good even tho the source is in bad quality.

I've just edited that post to match my slightly tweaked updated settings following a USB firmware upgrade and factory data reset of you wanted to checked and adjust.

What is your source of interest?

No mate ..sounds odd, ive had mine on and off a few times without hassle ...infact a few days ago i had Sony TV engineers out to do a repair and had the whole back off the TV in 2 minutes. I know this isn't what you want to hear !
Thanks. Maybe it’s just me :(

Sorry to repeat question, but just thought I’d try again...

Hi has anyone had issues trying to remove the screws at the back of the tv (so you can mount it). I have tried with numerous screwdrivers and nothing seems to work...

No, not had a problem. They are just Phillips headed screws so just make sure you are using the correct size driver head. :) I’m sure you are, but are you turning them the correct way? Leftie loosie, righty tightly:)

No, not had a problem. They are just Phillips headed screws so just make sure you are using the correct size driver head. :) I’m sure you are, but are you turning them the correct way? Leftie loosie, righty tightly:)

thanks. Tried all sizes and having no joy. Maybe my screw drivers have worn away to such an extent they can’t get anymore. I’m lost lol :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom