Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Right then, here are my refined calibration settings with dimming engaged on SDR for my 55" to the new Oreo update, SDR is completely different, but HDR is the same.

What I will say first is that if you want more information on why I did this and do that, please view my original calibration settings as everything you need is there from my old non Oreo Settings. Sony KD XF9005 Owners and Discussion Thread

Just to confirm that the two profiles are used, Cinema Pro is for HDR, and Cinema Home is for SDR due to how Sony do things when HDR switches that the settings used from SDR are brought over unlike Dolby vision.

Some settings have (personal preference) this is my own take on how it looks best to me, please just set what you like the best here.

Remember to check after you apply my calibration settings with some full field screens from 10 to 100 white screens to see if everything looks good and no tinting, I will upload some free ones to this post to test yourself.

On the SDR settings there is multiple brightness settings, one for night, daytime, cleanness settings.

Sony XF9005 Settings:

Profile: CINEMA HOME (SDR)

Brightness: Night 4 (120Nits) Clearness on 1 for 120nits set 6, Clearness on 2 for 120nits set 18.
Daytime 12 (200Nits) Clearness on 1 for 200nits set 14, Clearness on 2 for 200nits set 41.

Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black Level: 50
Black adjust: OFF
ADV. Contrast Enhancer: High (personal preference)
Auto Local Dimming: Medium or High
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off

Colour: 53
Hue: 0
Colour temperature: Expert 1
Live Colour: Off

ADV. COLOUR TEMPERATURE:

2-point control:

R-GAIN: MAX
G-GAIN: Max
B-GAIN: Max

R-BIAS: 0
G-BIAS: 0
B-BIAS: -8

10-point control:

1PT

R-OFFSET: 0
G-OFFSET: 0
B-OFFSET: -2

2PT

B-OFFSET: 0

3PT

B-OFFSET: 1

4PT

5PT

R-OFFSET: -3
B-OFFSET: -1

6PT

R-OFFSET: -1

7PT

R-OFFSET: -2
G-OFFSET: -1

8PT

R-OFFSET: -1

9PT

R-OFFSET: -4
G-OFFSET: -2
B-OFFSET: -3

10PT

---------------

Sharpness: 55 (personal preference)
Reality Creation: Auto (personal preference)
Random noise reduction: Off
Digital noise reduction Off
Smooth gradation: Low

Motionflow: True Cinema
Film mode High

-------------------------------------------------------------
Settings for HDR and Dolby Vision.

Profile: CINEMA PRO

Brightness: 4 (DOES NOT MATTER AS TV WILL SWITCH TO MAX AUTO)

ADV. Contrast Enhancer: OFF
Auto Local Dimming: High
X-tended Dynamic Range: Off (will auto switch to max )

Colour: 50
Colour temperature: Expert 2

ADV. COLOUR TEMPERATURE:

2-point control:

R-GAIN: Max

B-BIAS: 0

10-point control:

1PT

2PT

3PT

4PT

5PT

G-OFFSET: -3
B-OFFSET: -5

6PT

7PT

R-OFFSET: 9
G-OFFSET: 2

8PT

9PT

R-OFFSET: 6
G-OFFSET: 3

10PT

--------------------------

Film mode High

Attachments

• 10% Grayscale.zip
    164.7 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Think I may waste a couple of hours updating to Oreo and playing with the settings tomorrow. 😁

Right then, here are my refined calibration settings from my non-Oreo settings for my 55" from my sig to the new Oreo update, SDR is completely different, but HDR is the same. 65" is incoming.:D

What I will say first is that if you want more information on why I did this and do that, please view my original calibration settings as everything you need is there. Sony KD XF9005 Owners and Discussion Thread

Just to confirm that the two profiles are used, Cinema Pro is for HDR, and Cinema Home is for SDR due to how Sony do things when HDR switches that the settings used from SDR are brought over unlike Dolby vision.

Just one note is that I found that the Sharpness setting to be very different on Oreo, when the TV gets a 4K signal that its not using its inbuilt scaler then the image is very slightly blurred that before using say 55, but if the TV gets a 1080p signal then the inbuilt scaler in working the sharpness goes way over board, setting anywhere close to 60 is like full on the old firmware, and setting 100 is nearly 400% more powerful, why I have no idea, so I will be getting the best setting for this when I run more tests on my 65” and will update.

Some settings have (personal preference) this is my own take on how it looks best to me, please just set what you like the best here.

Remember to check after you apply my calibration settings with some full felid screens from 10 to 100 white screens to see if everything looks good and no tinting, I will upload some free ones to this post to test yourself.

On the SDR settings there is multiple brightness settings, one for night, daytime, cleanness settings.

Sony XF9005 Settings:

Brightness: Night 4 (120Nits) Clearness on 1 for 120nits set 6, Clearness on 2 for 120nits set 18.
Daytime 12 (200Nits) Clearness on 1 for 200nits set 14, Clearness on 2 for 200nits set 41.

ADV. COLOUR TEMPERATURE:

2-point control:

10-point control:

1PT

2PT

3PT

4PT

5PT

6PT

7PT

8PT

9PT

10PT

---------------

Film mode High

ADV. COLOUR TEMPERATURE:

2-point control:

10-point control:

1PT

2PT

3PT

4PT

5PT

6PT

7PT

8PT

9PT

10PT

Film mode High
Was doing some testing last night and to combat the initial colour under saturation I bumped colour to 55. I tested values from 50-60 and found overall that 55 was the best fit on average. Red and blue were the problematic colours with magenta having slight hue issues but on the whole 55 seemed best.

I've done colour checker patches and saturation checks and with cinema pro calibrated everything clicked into place with the highest error being 2. Tested hdr and max error was 1.4. I could either have 0-50 having errors of 0.4 or 60-100 having errors of 1.4 vice versa but on the whole average errors are below one.

So now I use cinema pro for sdr/hdr which means I'm not changing picture mode as often. I should clarify that I wasn't solely looking to get errors as low as possible but I was focused on getting red, green and blue to 100%. I think people get carried away with error values whilst not focusing on creating a neutral gray.

Last edited:
...I think people get carried away with error values whilst not focusing on creating a neutral gray.
Indeed. A correct greyscale is vital.

Right then, here are my refined calibration settings from my non-Oreo settings for my 55" from my sig to the new Oreo update, SDR is completely different, but HDR is the same. 65" is incoming.:D

What I will say first is that if you want more information on why I did this and do that, please view my original calibration settings as everything you need is there. Sony KD XF9005 Owners and Discussion Thread

Just one note is that I found that the Sharpness setting to be very different on Oreo, when the TV gets a 4K signal that its not using its inbuilt scaler then the image is very slightly blurred that before using say 55, but if the TV gets a 1080p signal then the inbuilt scaler in working the sharpness goes way over board, setting anywhere close to 60 is like full on the old firmware, and setting 100 is nearly 400% more powerful, why I have no idea, so I will be getting the best setting for this when I run more tests on my 65” and will update.

Remember to check after you apply my calibration settings with some full felid screens from 10 to 100 white screens to see if everything looks good and no tinting, I will upload some free ones to this post to test yourself.

Sony XF9005 Settings:

ADV. COLOUR TEMPERATURE:

2-point control:

10-point control:

1PT

2PT

3PT

4PT

5PT

6PT

7PT

8PT

9PT

10PT

---------------

Film mode High

ADV. COLOUR TEMPERATURE:

2-point control:

10-point control:

1PT

2PT

3PT

4PT

5PT

6PT

7PT

8PT

9PT

10PT

Film mode High

Well done for that my friend. Know many will be happy and it’s a good place to refer anyone new.
Out of interest, and I probably missed it, when did you change to true cinema ? Swear you didn’t use before

My (big) baby all wrapped up and on its way.

Attachments

• F9351500-1632-4703-AD68-5022B6E9DF72.jpeg
    F9351500-1632-4703-AD68-5022B6E9DF72.jpeg
    432.9 KB · Views: 235
  • B8451013-6811-49C4-911B-0B29F0001BF9.jpeg
    B8451013-6811-49C4-911B-0B29F0001BF9.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 220
Nice to see the removal chaps have added some protection as well. Wish you happiness in your new home:thumbsup:

I also started recently using a USB drive, if i leave it attached, my TV will not turn on the following morning. Tested and repeated so i think its that.
Mines turned on fine two mornings in a row with the usb drive removed so I'm wondering if it's because it had the new firmware zip on it. That's the only thing on the drive and I'd just left it in after updating wouldn't normally use the usb drive for anything else really as everything I watch at home that's not virgin Netflix etc is streamed from my NAS.
I am going to flash the drive tonight and plug it back in just to pin point if that's the reason it was not coming on in the morning. At least then it will explain it for other people.
Either way without it plugged in there's no issues with it responding on a morning and my harmony activities all work.

Yes, me. External hard drive plugged into the second USB slot on the side of the TV.

Standard Sony delivered Video App didn't even recognise the file.
Kodi v18, played it, but then started to buffer every 5 minutes or so about half an hour before the end of the movie.

I had to reset the tv, then it played well.

Will Sony XF9005 play a 90GB file after usb -
MPEG-H HEVC Video 60606 kbps 2160p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / Main 10 @ Level 5.1 @ High / 10 bits / HDR10 / BT.2020

Someone tried?

Well done for that my friend. Know many will be happy and it’s a good place to refer anyone new.
Out of interest, and I probably missed it, when did you change to true cinema ? Swear you didn’t use before
IKR! Custom with clearness 1 all the way :p

Hi
I recently purchased the 65 inch Xf9005, and love it, however there are few things I could do with some help on. I tried searching the forums but couldn’t find answers.

1. Has anyone found a resolution to the awful Netflix Dolby vision picture? ( my 12 year old Panasonic looks better. I get the same issue through the Apple TV 4K box and also through the TVs native app).

2. I have watched some HDR content on prime and it looks great. However, it also looks great when playing the non hdr version (I genuinely can’t tell the difference). While I’m impressed with the picture I have no idea if the hdr is an improvement? I was expecting to notice a greater difference between the normal version and HDR. I have been comparing shows like good omens and the boys. If anyone could assist that would be great.
Thanks.

What version of Netflix are you running? The Netflix on my 49 xf9005 is superb.
Check you have the latest version. Go to Settings/Apps/Netflix that will tell you the version number. Should be Version 7.1.0 build 3231 :)

What version of Netflix are you running? The Netflix on my 49 xf9005 is superb.
Check you have the latest version. Go to Settings/Apps/Netflix that will tell you the version number. Should be Version 7.1.0 build 3231 :)

I’m on that version but when I look at a number of things on Dolby vision they just look really dull 🤔 thanks for responding by the way 😀

What are your picture settings when watching Netflix? :)

I just reset them to standard settings that come with the tv. Interestingly when playing on Netflix on the Apple TV it’s horribly dark through Dolby vision. When I switched to an hdmi port that doesn’t support Dolby vision the picture improved a lot. Surely that’s not normal :)

I just reset them to standard settings that come with the tv. Interestingly when playing on Netflix on the Apple TV it’s horribly dark through Dolby vision. When I switched to an hdmi port that doesn’t support Dolby vision the picture improved a lot. Surely that’s not normal :)

What are your picture settings when watching non-Dolby Vision content (SDR content)? Try changing to the Cinema Home or preset. Brightness shouldn't be above 20 max for SDR if you want industry standard image. You can also try setting Brightness to Max but then enabling the Light sensor so the TV sets the Brightness to the 'correct' level for your ambience.

For ATV4K, just use it in HDMI 1. Set the default video output settings to 4K SDR 50/60hz (I use 50hz in UK). Then enable Match content for both dynamic range and frame rate.

Make sure on all inputs you have Motionflow Film Mode set to High. Smoothness and Clearness are personal preference but a lot of people on here use Custom with Smoothness between 0 & 2, Clearness 1.

What are your picture settings when watching non-Dolby Vision content (SDR content)? Try changing to the Cinema Home or preset. Brightness shouldn't be above 20 max for SDR if you want industry standard image. You can also try setting Brightness to Max but then enabling the Light sensor so the TV sets the Brightness to the 'correct' level for your ambience.

For ATV4K, just use it in HDMI 1. Set the default video output settings to 4K SDR 50/60hz (I use 50hz in UK). Then enable Match content for both dynamic range and frame rate.

Make sure on all inputs you have Motionflow Film Mode set to High. Smoothness and Clearness are personal preference but a lot of people on here use Custom with Smoothness between 0 & 2, Clearness 1.

thanks I’ll give those settings a whirl.i just use the settings that came with the tv for sdr. So whatever the tv determines.

So for apply tv should I just ignore Dolby vision then? I’m thinking in that case I should downgrade my Netflix subscription.
Thanks

thanks I’ll give those settings a whirl.i just use the settings that came with the tv for sdr. So whatever the tv determines.

So for apply tv should I just ignore Dolby vision then? I’m thinking in that case I should downgrade my Netflix subscription.
Thanks

The standard picture mode is awful. For SDR try Cinema Home or Cinema Pro.

No on the ATV4K with your settings as I described, when you play Netflix/Prime/ATV+ 24p DV content, the box will auto switch the refresh rate to 24hz and then the dynamic range to DV :)

No on the ATV4K with your settings as I described, when you play Netflix/Prime/ATV+ 24p DV content, the box will auto switch the refresh rate to 24hz and then the dynamic range to DV :)

great thanks a lot for taking the time and explaining. Really appreciate it. I thought hdmi 1 was the wrong one to use for DV. Shows how little I know! Thanks again :)

do you mind if I ask whether I will be getting poorer 4K or hdr by going through HDMI port 1? I was reading it can only do 30fps whereas ports 2 and 3 can do more (I’ve no idea what all this really means) so apologies if they are stupid questions lol

Hello everyone,

Hope you all are doing great in 2020 !

By following this thread I decided to buy the 65XF9005 and it's an amazing set coming from the Sony 55W800 (1080p 3D).

I also bought the Sony soundbar ht-xf9000 where I have some issues when I want to increase the volume using the TV remote it has a ~1.5s delay before it turns the volume up and also it increases the volume by 2points (mute button has no delay)

Without the soundbar there is no volume up/ down delay... Does anyone have some workarounds or a fix for this issue or should I accept it as it is.

The soundbar is connected to the HDMI 3 arc, both the TV and soundbar are on the latest firmware, bravia sync is on, read some threads on reddit with same problems without any solution, tried factory resets, unplugging everything 100times but no improvements.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated.
Thanks a lot !

do you mind if I ask whether I will be getting poorer 4K or hdr by going through HDMI port 1? I was reading it can only do 30fps whereas ports 2 and 3 can do more (I’ve no idea what all this really means) so apologies if they are stupid questions lol
No you won't get worse DV. HDMI 2&3 are needed purely for HDR/DV content that is greater than 30 frames per second.

All of the HDR/DV content available in the ATV4K is 24p which is why with match dynamic range and frame rate enabled, on HDMI 1/4 the box will auto switch to 24hz thus allowing the HDR/DV signal through :)

Wanted to delete my comment but couldn’t. Sorry.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom