Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

No problem.

Also I wondered, what are your complete picture settings you are using for SDR content, and then what are you complete settings for HDR10 and/or Dolby Vision? I'm just wondering if potentially some of your settings are different between SDR and HDR modes and that could be contributing to the differences you are noticing?

Let me know how you get on with the key mapping. I'll be able to check which exact one it is when I am home later.

I tried all kind of settings, nothing makes it as good as on XE. HDR on XE is good, very watchable with a lot more shadow detail.

The problem with XF is that you can set contrast and brightness at max and xtended dynamic range high and yet the picture looks too dark, not contrast or brightness wise, contrast and brightness wise it's too strong, the problem are the colours, the colours are so much darker then on XF and there is a lot of black crush, is too dark and to bright at the same time, don't know how to explain, it's just that bright things are bright like crazy it hurt your eyes while darker things way too dakr crushed, while on XE it's less bright contrast and brightness wise but you can see everything much better, way better shadow detail, a lot brighter colours, way nicer picture on eyes, hard to explain.

Even with gamma at 3 colours are darker with more black crush in darker colours and darker scenes, then on XE with gamma on 0. It just doesn't look right compared to XE, especially DV, HDR looks similar if I put gamma at 3 but still not as good as XE, XE is way nicer on eyes. Even SDR has a bit darker colours and more crush on XF then on XE, if I put gamma on XF at 1 or black level at 51 it's similar to XE.

My settings for SDR are:

Picture mode Custom

Brightness 20
Contrast 75
Gamma 0
Black level 50
Black adjust off
Adv contrast enhancer off
Auto local dimming medium
X-tended Dynamic Range off

Colour 54
Hue 0
Colour temprature Neutral
Adv. colour temprature - 3 on greens
Live colour off

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution 75
Random Noise reduction off
Digital noise reduction off
Smooth gradiation low

Motionflow Custom
Smoothness 2
Clearness 1 during daylight or with all lights on, 2 with little ambient light watching movies in evening
Film mode Low

Last edited:
Well if you don't see it with local dimming on then it's not a problem, on my XE it's there with local dimming and without even stronger. It's a light bleed like a frame around all edges of the TV and it's there in many scenes even with local dimming at max. So glad XF doesnt have this.

Both XE and XF are free of DSE, such a clean screen, never seen this before but both have dark corners, all 9000 series have this dark corners and honestly, they don't bother me. Vertical or horizontal banding is far worse imo, my brother has horrible banding and DSE on his Philips 55PUS7502, it's really terrible even yelow banding, all kind of tinting and all this crap and banding is very noticable on my Philips 7304 aswell and it's only 43", the bigger the screen the worse are usualy this things.

It's amazing how good are the 9000 series of Sony when it comes to DSE and banding.
Yeah it's a it annoying..hopefully it's ok now...I'm at work so can't watch it lol.

Mine's the same. Seen others the same too.
Cheers mate... It must be the bezel edge thickness... It's a great tv but I'm being really picky I suppose

I saw your post on another thread that you have changed auto local dimming to high from medium. Wise choice :)

So what are you first impressions of the XG9505 compared to the Samsung Q90R and Sony AG8 you have tried in the last couple of weeks?
All very different panels... Sony oled was a good panel but not as bright as the other two but was superb in terms of contrast... Nice tv.. Q90r was very very bright and very easy to use. Had a separate pc box with it which connected to everything automatically and made life too easy..I like to make my own choices with settings and other things..that was just too intrusive.picture was good but so much dse. The xg9505 is the sweet spot..Nice screen..colors.. Motion is the best on it I think..great tv..don't know why it's not rated higher on reviews

Still sort of TV related 😆.....what soundbar would you recommend pairing up with this TV? Will more than likely be leaving the rears for now. I have nothing at the moment to compare so whatever will be a massive upgraded. Most will be Sky viewing, TV series and football with a sprinkle of Netflix.
Have been thinking Sonos Beam or Sony ht-zf9. I did also consider the Samsung hw-q70r but it is a bit pricey but would consider if worth the extra.
Cheers 👍
Do not buy anything other than the q80r at the moment. It's by far the best..trust me. I've tested so many recently and that's the best by a million miles..I actually ducked when something went past my head from behind...unbelievable... 750 price matched in JL

Do not buy anything other than the q80r at the moment. It's by far the best..trust me. I've tested so many recently and that's the best by a million miles..I actually ducked when something went past my head from behind...unbelievable... 750 price matched in JL
Is that with rears @BigPest ? £750 may be a bit out of reach but will keep it in mind.

Is that with rears @BigPest ? £750 may be a bit out of reach but will keep it in mind.
No rears but bear in mind the others for 5-600 don't offer anywhere near the quality of the q80r for the extra 150. Trust me..pay the bit extra..proper cinema sound and the build quality is amazing

Hi. I recently bought one. Is anybody else modifying the order of the TV channels? Because I am and I noticed that after a few power on-s, the order gets slowly reset to the scan order. I had a XG8505 and it had the same issue (I went for XF9005 because of the VA panel). This is quite annoying because whenever the order gets reset, the TV changes to the program that used to be there after the initial scan. It is annoying because I am used to having the programs in my own order.

Hi. I recently bought one. Is anybody else modifying the order of the TV channels? Because I am and I noticed that after a few power on-s, the order gets slowly reset to the scan order. I had a XG8505 and it had the same issue (I went for XF9005 because of the VA panel). This is quite annoying because whenever the order gets reset, the TV changes to the program that used to be there after the initial scan. It is annoying because I am used to having the programs in my own order.
I have set the order of programmes in my menu and they stay that way. Sometimes freeview change the odd channel but I’ve never had the list re order itself on either of my xf tvs, both running android 7.

@Mrhappy37 how can you do that on the TV? I did not find a way to do it on the TV. It will also be a lot harder to do it on a TV. Anyway, if the order will be kept, it is worth the time, I guess :( Mine is running Android 8. Could this be the issue? XF8505 also had Android 8 on it.

@Mrhappy37 how can you do that on the TV? I did not find a way to do it on the TV. It will also be a lot harder to do it on a TV. Anyway, if the order will be kept, it is worth the time, I guess :( Mine is running Android 8. Could this be the issue? XF8505 also had Android 8 on it.
On the tv go to home/settings/channel set up/digital set up/digital tuning/programme list edit. From there you can arrange the list as you wish, and in my case it has stayed as I left it. It takes half hour to arrange but saves lots of time and annoyance each time you want to change channel.
The annoying thing is when freeview decide that we all need a retune and I have two to do, that pi....d me off having arranged them both only a few weeks before.

No problem.

Also I wondered, what are your complete picture settings you are using for SDR content, and then what are you complete settings for HDR10 and/or Dolby Vision? I'm just wondering if potentially some of your settings are different between SDR and HDR modes and that could be contributing to the differences you are noticing?

Let me know how you get on with the key mapping. I'll be able to check which exact one it is when I am home later.

I tried Netflix via the KODI app last night and it was great to be able to watch a 4K presentation on the XG with no blooming (by disabling HDR). I haven't tried HDR10 with it to see if the blooming is less pronounced than it is with DV on my set but in SDR it was great just to be able to watch UHD without distraction on Netflix again. Thanks!

Out of interest how do you display on screen stats? I could work out have to confirm it was in UHD by pausing and going into the "I" option at the bottom right screen overlay, it talks about pressing "o" on the keyboard but of course on a TV there is no option. Is it possible to get an OSD like you can in the normal Netflix App by pressing "I" on the remote?

I tried all kind of settings, nothing makes it as good as on XE. HDR on XE is good, very watchable with a lot more shadow detail.

The problem with XF is that you can set contrast and brightness at max and xtended dynamic range high and yet the picture looks too dark, not contrast or brightness wise, contrast and brightness wise it's too strong, the problem are the colours, the colours are so much darker then on XF and there is a lot of black crush, is too dark and to bright at the same time, don't know how to explain, it's just that bright things are bright like crazy it hurt your eyes while darker things way too dakr crushed, while on XE it's less bright contrast and brightness wise but you can see everything much better, way better shadow detail, a lot brighter colours, way nicer picture on eyes, hard to explain.

Even with gamma at 3 colours are darker with more black crush in darker colours and darker scenes, then on XE with gamma on 0. It just doesn't look right compared to XE, especially DV, HDR looks similar if I put gamma at 3 but still not as good as XE, XE is way nicer on eyes. Even SDR has a bit darker colours and more crush on XF then on XE, if I put gamma on XF at 1 or black level at 51 it's similar to XE.

My settings for SDR are:

Picture mode Custom

Brightness 20
Contrast 75
Gamma 0
Black level 50
Black adjust off

Colour 54
Hue 0
Live colour off

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution 75
Smooth gradiation low

Motionflow Custom
Smoothness 2
Clearness 1 during daylight or with all lights on, 2 with little ambient light watching movies in evening
Film mode Low

I would recommend always using clearness at 1 if you want the X-motion clarity tech to be engaged. Do you leave smoothness on 2 even when watching regular tv shows and films?

Film mode needs to be on High if you want to correctly reverse the telecine effect (3:2 pulldown) judder of 24p content being displayed at 60hz. This is needed for all the internal apps, Netflix, Prime Youtube etc. Even kodi needs film mode to be on High.

Colour temp neutral implies you like quite a cool image? Fair play. Have you tried local dimming on high also? I noticed your contrast is quite low. Have you tried calibrating your set or are you going purely by eye? :)

@skyform Also if you were interested in tying them out, here are the settings I use on my TV => Sony KD XF9005 Owners and Discussion Thread

PS. How did you get on with the keymapper? I think now the correct mapping might be Global > Other > Codec information (Video codec information?).

Last edited:
I tried Netflix via the KODI app last night and it was great to be able to watch a 4K presentation on the XG with no blooming (by disabling HDR). I haven't tried HDR10 with it to see if the blooming is less pronounced than it is with DV on my set but in SDR it was great just to be able to watch UHD without distraction on Netflix again. Thanks!

Out of interest how do you display on screen stats? I could work out have to confirm it was in UHD by pausing and going into the "I" option at the bottom right screen overlay, it talks about pressing "o" on the keyboard but of course on a TV there is no option. Is it possible to get an OSD like you can in the normal Netflix App by pressing "I" on the remote?

Yes you need to download the keymapper add on from the default kodi repo, and then in the addon in the global, windows settings there is a specific command you want to map to one of your remote buttons. I can't remember which one it is but I was discussing this with another user on this thread only yesterday.

Did you follow all the extra little steps we were talking about on this thread yesterday about hdcp override, ignore resolution, activating dd plus etc?

Keeping the tv then? :p

Yes you need to download the keymapper add on from the default kodi repo, and then in the addon in the global, windows settings there is a specific command you want to map to one of your remote buttons. I can't remember which one it is but I was discussing this with another user on this thread only yesterday.

Did you follow all the extra little steps we were talking about on this thread yesterday about hdcp override, ignore resolution, activating dd plus etc?

Yeh, I set those options too, I only really toggled the HDR to see if it worked and checked it was a 2160p resolution on 4K material, but watched the Crown with no blooming in SDR. Is it possible to activate DV on the KODI add-on or is it only HDR10 compatible (not a biggy as if I desperately want DV I can use the standard TV app).

I will have a play with the keymapping settings. I was never planning to return the XG to be honest, in SDR its a fantastic TV, blows the XE away, its just with HDR and cinemascope its got distracting bloom, not enough zones I guess. Full Screen HDR isn't so distracting even though bloom is there, cinemscope is where its really ugly imo. I have tried all kinds of settings to minimise it on the XG but never really 100% satisfactorily varying local dimming settings etc, or winding the brightness back (The XE doesn't suffer as bad, maybe because the panel is not as bright).

I need to do more comparison between DV and HDR as I have not viewed much HDR10 material on the XG as I generally use Netflix.

Edit: Can you check the specific keymap assignment as I have scrolled back and can't see what option needs to be mapped. Cheers.

Cheers,

Last edited:
I’ve hammered the crown last couple days via Netflix via Apple TV and constantly impressed by the picture and have zero concerns

Yeh, I set those options too, I only really toggled the HDR to see if it worked and checked it was a 2160p resolution on 4K material, but watched the Crown with no blooming in SDR. Is it possible to activate DV on the KODI add-on or is it only HDR10 compatible (not a biggy as if I desperately want DV I can use the standard TV app).

I will have a play with the keymapping settings. I was never planning to return the XG to be honest, in SDR its a fantastic TV, blows the XE away, its just with HDR and cinemascope its got distracting bloom, not enough zones I guess. Full Screen HDR isn't so distracting even though bloom is there, cinemscope is where its really ugly imo. I have tried all kinds of settings to minimise it on the XG but never really 100% satisfactorily varying local dimming settings etc, or winding the brightness back (The XE doesn't suffer as bad, maybe because the panel is not as bright).

I need to do more comparison between DV and HDR as I have not viewed much HDR10 material on the XG as I generally use Netflix.

Edit: Can you check the specific keymap assignment as I have scrolled back and can't see what option needs to be mapped. Cheers.

Cheers,
It's in this post here => Sony KD XF9005 Owners and Discussion Thread

However if its not either of these options then I think it must be Global > Other > Codec information. I have 3 different things mapped to 3 of the 4 colour buttons. From the top of my head I know that what I have mapped to blue (the right hand side most colour button) is the one that will show the codec information. I think actually now that it is the Global > Other > Codec (maybe Video Codec) information.

I found that with DV enabled with hdr 10 disabled and dv enabled with hdr 10 enabled, there was no HDR image at all. HDR only worked with HDR10 enabled and DV disabled. Of course to get SDR you then disable HDR10 as well.

You have the XF right, not the XG?
Hope this helps.

Great chatting with you all. My search for a new TV without issues has come to an end I hope...I had light bleed on my xg9505... A dink on the top of the Sony ag8... Dse on the q90r... So I've had a few tvs... I've now got the LG OLED B9. Seems good so far but nowhere near as bright as the led ones I had.. Hope I've made the right decision 😂😂😂

You have the XF right, not the XG?

I have the XG9005 (and an XE9005) but I stalk all the threads as many of the themes are common across the models, although I think the XG9005 has worse blooming than the XF9005 by all accounts. :)

I have the XG9005 (and an XE9005) but I stalk all the threads as many of the themes are common across the models, although I think the XG9005 has worse blooming than the XF9005 by all accounts. :)

Ahhhhh so you have the 49 inch. Cool cool that makes complete sense then.

How did the button keymapping go?

My settings for SDR are:

Picture mode Custom

Brightness 20
Contrast 75
Gamma 0
Black level 50
Black adjust off

Colour 54
Hue 0
Live colour off

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Manual
Resolution 75
Smooth gradiation low

Motionflow Custom
Smoothness 2
Film mode Low
I know what you your talking about, see the problem is that the XE can only do 500nits in HDR so there is a lot of tone mapping going on, so that to fit say a 1000nit film into 500nits it becomes more like SDR but of course not so bad. The XF as around 1000nits to play with, so a 1000nit film there is zero tone mapping and will become bright when needed.

The crushing of the blacks you say do sound strange and not correct, please try my HDR setting from my sig and see if that helps any as crushing blacks maybe down to source as sometimes this can happen.

Great chatting with you all. My search for a new TV without issues has come to an end I hope...I had light bleed on my xg9505... A dink on the top of the Sony ag8... Dse on the q90r... So I've had a few tvs... I've now got the LG OLED B9. Seems good so far but nowhere near as bright as the led ones I had.. Hope I've made the right decision 😂😂😂

Beginning to think this is a wind up. Which retailer is authorising these swaps and how are they processing it so quickly?

Beginning to think this is a wind up. Which retailer is authorising these swaps and how are they processing it so quickly?
?????

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom