Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Went to RS Swiss Cottage today and bought the 55". They generously charged at £899 instead of the £949 as advertised. Very friendly and makes me have faith in retailers as I've been burned badly over the years.

Very pleased and I'm planning on buying a subwoofer from them too. Their customer service and generosity puts other retailers to shame (looking at you argos!).

Thats great, glad it worked for you too. Just goes to show, don’t ask don’t get . Richersounds really are a great company and long may that continue. They are the only place I would, and have had the confidence to buy a new tv from for the past 10 years.

Do you think we will ever get the E-ARC update?

Highly unlikely. It's on the XG model so can't see them adding it to the XF.

Went to RS Swiss Cottage today and bought the 55". They generously charged at £899 instead of the £949 as advertised. Very friendly and makes me have faith in retailers as I've been burned badly over the years.

Very pleased and I'm planning on buying a subwoofer from them too. Their customer service and generosity puts other retailers to shame (looking at you argos!).

Glad you got sorted. Will only buy my AV from RS.

Highly unlikely. It's on the XG model so can't see them adding it to the XF.

Glad you got sorted. Will only buy my AV from RS.

I swear when asked before someone linked to an article / quote where it was said to be technically possible and if I remember something that may come, but not quickly.

I’ve searched though and can’t find it. Someone may remember

Think it came off the back of the relevant audio products (soundbar I think) getting the update

I swear when asked before someone linked to an article / quote where it was said to be technically possible and if I remember something that may come, but not quickly.

I’ve searched though and can’t find it. Someone may remember

Think it came off the back of the relevant audio products (soundbar I think) getting the update

It wouldn't surprise me that its possible but can't see them doing it purely because it would further scupper the sale of XG's.

It wouldn't surprise me that its possible but can't see them doing it purely because it would further scupper the sale of XG's.

I think that’s what the article / quite summarised. That it may come once sales of Xs and Xb star to bottom out

I’ve searched this thread and can’t find it though. Maybe was dreaming

Are you on Android Oreo? :)

I actually meant to get back to you last night as wanted to check how similar our settings are

Now firstly I need to say mine have all been “calibrated” by eye to my personal taste (the days of me running test discs and using colour meter are long long gone) and I’ve not copied any settings. However my settings are EXACTLY the same with two small difference. My black level is the default 50 and have colour as expert 1 (I do like warm but after days of playing revert back to expert 1)

I’ll have to check my Xbox one x settings when next boot it up see how they are

I actually meant to get back to you last night as wanted to check how similar our settings are

Now firstly I need to say mine have all been “calibrated” by eye to my personal taste (the days of me running test discs and using colour meter are long long gone) and I’ve not copied any settings. However my settings are EXACTLY the same with two small difference. My black level is the default 50 and have colour as expert 1 (I do like warm but after days of playing revert back to expert 1)

I’ll have to check my Xbox one x settings when next boot it up see how they are

I also have calibrated 'by eye' using a Picture Perfect UHD kit that Curry's gave me when I bought my parents a soundbar as a Christmas present a few years back.

Ah cool to know that multiple people seem to be converging on a very similar combination of settings. Are you using the same picture modes as me as well? E.g. Cinema Home for all SDR, Game for game etc?

I did fiddle a lot between expert 1 and warm, and as @Adookah alluded to, for me anyway, the whites are so much better on warm. I feel like as it stands on the current OS on my panel, Expert 1 is a little too warm, medium is too blue of course, and warm is just right!

The difference in black level could be down to the lighting in my room, and also the subjectivity of opinion viewing the test pattern which I used for that setting.

How do your HDR 10/Dolby Vision settings stack up as compared to mine?

And for completeness, have you also tried out the 'upconver SDR to HDR' settings I have on Cinema Pro? I use them often now for watching sport! (But of course this falls into the realm of personal preference).

Let me know how it goes with your games console. Is there anything in particular you are looking for? :)

Whilst I remember, @LCDseeker did you try out the settings I linked you the other day like you asked? How did you find them compared to your custom settings?

Have a great day.

The up conversation hdr settings have there place but not comfortable for majority of viewing

I’ll have to check my DV / HDR settings but think HDR are same as my SDR / Cinema Home but with the addition of the automatic maximum settings it makes

From memory I think I manually upped the gamma by 1 for DV but can’t remember for sure

Thing my gaming settings may be quite different as I do like that extra “pop” with games

I shall keep you updated

All my devices go via amp and then the amp has two outs to the TV. So one set of settings as rule for gaming and one for everything else (with the HDR / DV variations)

Vast majority of my viewing is via Apple TV
Never used the built in apps

The up conversation hdr settings have there place but not comfortable for majority of viewing

I’ll have to check my DV / HDR settings but think HDR are same as my SDR / Cinema Home but with the addition of the automatic maximum settings it makes

From memory I think I manually upped the gamma by 1 for DV but can’t remember for sure

Thing my gaming settings may be quite different as I do like that extra “pop” with games

I shall keep you updated

All my devices go via amp and then the amp has two outs to the TV. So one set of settings as rule for gaming and one for everything else (with the HDR / DV variations)

Vast majority of my viewing is via Apple TV
Never used the built in apps

Just to check, you do also have X-tended Dynamic Range off for SDR content but then when HDR is detected, as well as Brightness auto changing to maximum your XDR changes to High too?

Cool be interesting to see your gaming settings.

What do you tend to go for with motionflow on no gaming content? And then have you ever been tempted to try Motionflow with smoothing for games by using cinema home (for SDR games) or cinema pro hdr (for HDR games)? I have tired it a couple of times but the input lag in non game mode is just too much for me to cope with.

Yeah let me know. Cheers!

Quick question for everyone: do you have your tv connected directly to the wall socket or through a (4 way) plug?

Just trying to see something here.

I've got mine running through a Tacima 6-Way Mains Conditioner.

Ive got mine on an uprated radial circuit. There is a demonstrable difference between this and the standard ring circuit socket.

Quick question for everyone: do you have your tv connected directly to the wall socket or through a (4 way) plug?

Just trying to see something here.

Mine is connected a 10 gang upright stand with surge protection.

Can anyone answer me this? What are the resolutions and hz this TV can actually display. Specifically in gaming.

I've had the TV 49", for a couple of months and play Ps4 on it (and of course watching standard HD sky).

I read the rtings review so from my understanding;
1) 4K HDR 60hz
2) 1440p 120hz
3) 1080p 120hz HDR

Is this right? I'm surprised if so that it can't do 1440p 120hz HDR as I'm sure that's under the 18gbps bandwidth of the hdmi 2/3 ports. I know that 4k hdr 120hz would be to much bandwidth. So if I want HDR then it's got to be 60hz and if I want 120hz it's got to be without HDR basically?

Ah okay just checking if connecting to the mains socket or using a (4) plug makes a difference.

Any content that really shows off this TV's peak brightness?

Ah okay just checking if connecting to the mains socket or using a (4) plug makes a difference.

Have you had a go at playing around with any of your settings yet?

If you want to know good HDR content to try, I'd ask @Kenny Culver!

I also have calibrated 'by eye' using a Picture Perfect UHD kit that Curry's gave me when I bought my parents a soundbar as a Christmas present a few years back.

Ah cool to know that multiple people seem to be converging on a very similar combination of settings. Are you using the same picture modes as me as well? E.g. Cinema Home for all SDR, Game for game etc?

I did fiddle a lot between expert 1 and warm, and as @Adookah alluded to, for me anyway, the whites are so much better on warm. I feel like as it stands on the current OS on my panel, Expert 1 is a little too warm, medium is too blue of course, and warm is just right!

The difference in black level could be down to the lighting in my room, and also the subjectivity of opinion viewing the test pattern which I used for that setting.

How do your HDR 10/Dolby Vision settings stack up as compared to mine?

And for completeness, have you also tried out the 'upconver SDR to HDR' settings I have on Cinema Pro? I use them often now for watching sport! (But of course this falls into the realm of personal preference).

Let me know how it goes with your games console. Is there anything in particular you are looking for? :)

Whilst I remember, @LCDseeker did you try out the settings I linked you the other day like you asked? How did you find them compared to your custom settings?

Have a great day.

Sorry thanks for the link. Having a manic week at work but managed to dial in your settings last night to compare. I have to be honest although not a huge difference I do still prefer my standard and custom settings (incidentally since the Oreo update the custom settings are MUCH better on my new set but still prefer the standard). I always say though, its down to the individual, the set and the settings so there can be no incorrect/better settings just what your own eyes like. I'm going to leave yours on the cinema home though.

I have mine in a 6 way surge protected extension with no issues. I would say Our planet on netflix and most DV content should show the peak brightness well.

Have you had a go at playing around with any of your settings yet?

If you want to know good HDR content to try, I'd ask @Kenny Culver!

Yes I've messed with the settings a bit. I owned the same TV but in 49" so settings are identical. Motion settings were copied from that thread you created. Most of the other settings are on default save for brightness, contrast, smooth gradation and local dimming.

Yes I've messed with the settings a bit. I owned the same TV but in 49" so settings are identical. Motion settings were copied from that thread you created. Most of the other settings are on default save for brightness, contrast, smooth gradation and local dimming.

Are you happy with the 55 as opposed to the 49? Remind me again why did you return the 49 inch? Like @LCDseeker said, been a busy week with work!

Are you happy with the 55 as opposed to the 49? Remind me again why did you return the 49 inch? Like @LCDseeker said, been a busy week with work!
That tv just did not get bright at all. Just dim for sdr and hdr. This tv does seem brighter but I want to wait a bit before I give my verdict.

Last edited:
That tv just did not get bright at all. Just dim for sdr and hdr. This tv does seem brighter but I want to wait a bit before I give my verdict.

Sounds like you're not convinced? Do you have the light sensor turned off? What brightness settings do you use?

Many think HDR means really bright but it doesn't always prove to be that way it depends what you watch.

Sounds like you're not convinced? Do you have the light sensor turned off? What brightness settings do you use?

Many think HDR means really bright but it doesn't always prove to be that way it depends what you watch.
Light sensor is off, I'm just going to try content that has bright highlights as I know hdr is about dynamic range.

For now I've used @Mallett94 brightness settings but I've yet to try hdr content. Will wait a bit so I can judge. But full field brightness is an improvement but I feel that on android 7 the tv was a bit brighter than now.

So if you've seen a bright highlight did it make your eyes squint in a dark/low light room?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom