Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Hi thanks so much for this detailed response! Your experience is very close to mine but I've had mixture of led TVs from the Sony 930e which had shocking clouding. The Panasonic ex700 was dull. The Samsung mu7000 was pretty decent but was faulty and no more stock to replace! So got the sj8500 like u said IPS panel appalling viewing in a dark room. So yeah I wanted a oled each week going into shops seeing them but still can't commit with the horror stories of vertical banding etc. So I settled on a Hisense u7a very average performance and bad DSE So that went bk.The b8 comes back into my head or the Sony xf900.. after your feedback and others it sounds like the Sony is for me! Just missed out on the offers so will wait now till black Friday.

Forgot to say the edges don’t look dark to me seems to be a good even back light. they should ban edge lit TVs lol

Just over 2 years ago I was a plasma man had them from about 2004/5 ( spent 2k on my first ) must of had about about 6 of them various makes , from SD to to 1080p then I went to my first 4K tv which was 4K LCD Hisense cost £430 and for the money I dont think it could be beat for picture quality and price excellent picture and decent blacks for VA panel and HDR. But I got the up upgrade bug ( as well as a ATV 4K with Dolby vision) and was looking at the oled LG b7 for £1300 was looking around for a month should I shouldn’t I as I swore I wouldn’t buy another expensive tv after the Hisense but I got the oled bug seeing them in the shops and the amazing blacks saying to myself once you see Oled there is no going back;).

Lol So I ended up buying the LG 55sk800 Nano cell LCD with IPS panel and Dolby vision and 10bit panel because I’m a cheap skate :) had that 2 weeks OMG never get IPS panel for watching tv especially in the dark it was edge lit with local dimming with 6 vertical zones its was bad and I mean bad cost £800 and the Hisense was a 10x better tv but that had gone to the father in law :( what have I done I thought , sod it sent it back I’m going OLED also it was my 40th I’m treating myself B7 or B8 was my dilemma now not many B7s knocking round locally and the off chance I was in Costco and they Had the B8 for a £100 more than a deliverered B7 so got it thought all my TV dreams had come true.

But after one week I’m stating to think for to myself this picture isn’t any better than my £400 Hisense I mean watching the chase and GBBO looked no better, watching movies didn’t look amazing like when you see all these instore demos bright colour and deep inky blacks then noticed these bars/bands like stripes going down the screen in dark scene or anything with a single colour, thought it was faulty but as I’ve said before, so decide to investigate online and low and behold there was forums after forum , YouTube video after YouTube video all bout banding couldnt believe I never seen all this when I was looking on line when reading reviews but then realised they do mention it but don’t make big deal about it they sort of gloss over it as it’s not a problem.

Well it is and it looks awful and makes it unwatchable , when a £400 tv looks better time to take it back.

So made sure I did some good investigation and reading review on going back to LCD and what my option were in 2018 and only a couple of tvs kept popping up the Samsung QLEDs q7/Q9FN and the Sony XF90 ( Dont do Samsung my first plasma was a Samsung and went faulty within 12 months and customer service was poor and ended up selling it on after 2 months) but most reviews didn’t grab me and reading the owners thread on AVF on the Sammys didn’t fill me with confidence plus it’s a sammy :(

Left with Sony most reviews were spot on the only negatives are the Floors in LCD tech which can not be helped but the floors compared to the negatives of OLED it’s a no brainier took the B8 back and got the Sony and couldn’t be happier picture quality to my eyes is far superior in SD,HD, and 4K wow colours are on par with OLED more realistic and the blacks are one of the best on LCD on a whole just so more pleasing to the eye.

Save ya self money and and pain in the long run stick with LCD for now OLED ain’t ready for consumer read the posts.

Nice story for a Wednesday hope you enjoy sorry for the ramble :) lol
Sounds similar to me, my Samsung plasma died in 2017 so I got a Hisense 4k for £600, i was happy with it for the price until it had a few niggles then stopped working in June (after having it only since April 2017) luckily John Lewis refunded me the whole amount so I thought I'll go all out and get a decent TV this time, I really want OLED but I don't want to baby sit it and worry when I'm at work has the misses left Jeremy Kyle on pause for 3 hours, so it's between the XF9005 and the Samsung Q9F

*Last edited 25th November 2020 - Android 9 - PKG6.7140* Here are my most up to date picture settings. From now on I will have a link in my signature to this post and if I change anything going forward I will just amend this post.

General settings for all SDR viewing (TV, Netflix, Amazon, Blu-Rays, DVDs) -->
Picture Mode Cinema Home
Brightness 5 (I use the light sensor so the TV will set appropriate brightness for the time of day. Theoretically, capping this at 5 means that it will never go over 5 which is an absolute max for my Mrs' eyes for SDR content)
Contrast 91
Gamma -2
Black Level 52
Black Adjust Off
Adv. Contrast enhancer Off
Light sensor Enabled
Auto local dimming Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range Low
Colour 54
Hue R2
Colour temperature Warm
Advanced Colour settings Factory default
Live Colour Medium
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Auto
Random noise reduction Off
Digital noise reduction Off
Smooth gradation Low
Video options All Auto

General settings for all HDR10 viewing -->
Picture Mode Cinema Pro HDR
Brightness Max
Contrast 91
Gamma 0
Black Level 52
Black Adjust Off
X-tended Dynamic Range High
Colour 54
Hue R2
Colour temperature Warm
Live Colour Medium
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Auto
Smooth gradation Low
Video options All Auto

SDR Gaming -->
Auto picture mode Off
Picture Mode Game
Brightness 5 (I use the light sensor so the TV will set appropriate brightness for the time of day. Theoretically, capping this at 5 means that it will never go over 5 which is an absolute max for my Mrs' eyes for SDR content)
Contrast 91
Gamma 0
Black Level 52
Black Adjust Off
Light sensor Enabled
X-tended Dynamic Range Low
Colour 54
Hue R2
Colour temperature Warm
Live Colour Medium
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Auto
Smooth gradation Low (Game mode default)
Video options All Auto

HDR10 Gaming -->
Auto picture mode Off
Picture Mode Game HDR
Brightness Max
Contrast 91
Gamma 0
Black Level 52
Black Adjust Off
Colour 54
Hue R2
Colour temperature Warm
Live Colour Medium
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Auto
Smooth gradation Low (Game mode default)
Video options All Auto

Dolby Vision -->
Picture Mode Dolby Vision HDR
Brightness Max
Contrast Max (DV preset default)
Gamma 0
Black Level 50
Black Adjust Off
Auto local dimming High
Colour 54
Hue R2
Colour temperature Expert 1 (trying it out following Android 9 update)
Live Colour Off
Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Auto
Smooth gradation Off (very important to be off otherwise detrimental to image!!)
Video options All Auto
-------------------------------------------------------
This section is for motion settings.

Freeview, iPlayer, HDMI 2 - Chromecast Ultra -->
Motionflow Off (I set Motionflow to Custom, Smoothness 3, Clearness 1, Film mode High when watching SDR sport. Clearness 0 for HDR content)
Film mode Off

HDMI 3 - PS4 Pro (Games only) -->
Motionflow Custom, Smoothness 0 (greyed out), Clearness 1 (Off completely for HDR games)
Film mode Off (greyed out)

HDMI4 - PS3 (as Blu-Ray & DVD player) -->
Motionflow Off (sometimes I set it to Custom w/Smoothness 3, Clearness Min or 1 to remove inherent LFR stutter :p)
Film mode Off

Android TV apps - Netflix, Prime Video, Youtube etc -->
Motionflow True Cinema
Film mode High

For Native BT Sport & NowTV apps -->
Motionflow Custom, Smoothness 3 (1 for TV Shows & Films), Clearness 1 (0 for HDR)
Film mode High

Last edited:
Do you think I can duplicate HDR settings for game mode in HDR (without motion flow or other post processing, just for colour or gamma), does it woth it?
Never calibrated game mode for the simple reason was that it clipped everything from SDR contrast settings to HDR max limit of 800nits, so that means HDR blows your eyes out with nearly everything on screen which it does not do too bad blowing yours eyes out on cinema pro with games.

So sorry I can’t help with game mode.

The best thing to do with the subs is too set them to a darker colour so it does not upset the dimming of the LEDS, so less blooming. Someone posted on this on how to do it.

That’s a good point @Spongebob1913
However if that’s via ps pro and Netflix. Then won’t the image be hdr rather than Dolby vision and thus still have max backlight ?

My backlight / brightness runs a little over 20 for non hdr / dv stuff but that’s because I watch most of time in very bright room with daylight coming from three directions.

But the higher you run backlight then the less “difference” there will be when it switches to the hdr modes
I'm not sure, If i watch DV in a v bright room, i may as well not bother, the max brightness and gamma on max still doesn't counter how dark it all is.

I'm not sure, If i watch DV in a v bright room, i may as well not bother, the max brightness and gamma on max still doesn't counter how dark it all is.

When you say brightness, do you mean 'Backlight'? Or do you actually mean the 'Brightness' settings? They are two very different things :)

When you say brightness, do you mean 'Backlight'? Or do you actually mean the 'Brightness' settings? They are two very different things :)

I have been somewhat confused why Sony seems to use the term "Brightness" when referring to Backlight

I can get why they refer to "black level" instead of brightness, but then why stick to Contrast rather than white level

But yes, on this set Backlight = Brightness and Brightness = Black level

Just to confirm, what settings in game mode don't affect input lag?

I figure the colour and brightness ones don't? What about setting clearness to 1?

Just to confirm, what settings in game mode don't affect input lag?

I figure the colour and brightness ones don't? What about setting clearness to 1?

On this TV, the new X-Motion Clarity mode is engaged when the MotionFlow setting is on Custom with Clearness on 1. This setting has no effect on input lag. If you increased the smoothness to above 0 this would cause input lag, which is why in both SDR and HDR Game mode I have it set as above.

Hope this helps.

On this TV, the new X-Motion Clarity mode is engaged when the MotionFlow setting is on Custom with Clearness on 1. This setting has no effect on input lag. If you increased the smoothness to above 0 this would cause input lag, which is why in both SDR and HDR Game mode I have it set as above.

Hope this helps.

It does, cheers. Smoothness is greyed out in game mode I think. At work currently so can't check

Recently picked up the 49" model from Richer Sounds for £900 including the soundbar.

I have noticed a red stuck pixel on the screen and I can only notice it on a black background. It only looks like one pixel and I have to really go looking for it, however it is towards the centre.

Should I return this for a replacement or do others here have a stuck pixel on their TV also?
from experience id say, just live with it, you cant see it from viewing distance and its possible you will regret your decision if there are other issues with the replacement e.g. 2 stuck pixels lol

Hi guys, does a software exists to test my panel (blooming, clouding, pixel etc...)?
I know Ezio for monitor bur for TV's?
Thanks!

Hi guys. Just a little bit of additional feedback here.

Just tired Netflix, and just watched the last episode of Better Call Saul. Basically Netflix asked me if I wanted to upgrade to UHD for an extra £2 per month.. Gone with it and I have to say the HDR picture looked awesome.

Also just watched the Season 2 last episode of Hell On Wheels via Amazon Video, 1080p upscaled looked bloody good to me.

Another tick in the box here, what a stunning TV, love it. Both Netflix and Amazon Video are via my PS4 Pro.

Last edited:
I've ordered Sony 65XF9005. Tomorrow is delivery. So excited !!! :clap::):D

Does the x49 output DD+ with ATMOS from Netflix over ARC? I'm not on about eARC either, DD+ is possible without eARC.

Where - and any proof of this? If true then I might just be able to afford to upgrade.

SEE POST 2028

"Just a heads up, went to Costco in Milton Keynes today and I couldn’t believe my eyes. They have the 49inch XF90 for £719!! And that INCLUDED VAT. Apparently they have another promotion that started today(originally £815)
Bargain or what!"

"Just a heads up, went to Costco in Milton Keynes today and I couldn’t believe my eyes. They have the 49inch XF90 for £719!! And that INCLUDED VAT. Apparently they have another promotion that started today(originally £815)
Bargain or what!"
Just spoke to Costco Manchester - very helpful guy explained that the XF9005 was still £815.98 - however the KD49XF8096 was £719.99

Hi guys. Just a little bit of additional feedback here.

Just tired Netflix, and just watched the last episode of Better Call Saul. Basically Netflix asked me if I wanted to upgrade to UHD for an extra £2 per month.. Gone with it and I have to say the HDR picture looked awesome.

Also just watched the Season 2 last episode of Hell On Wheels via Amazon Video, 1080p upscaled looked bloody good to me.

Another tick in the box here, what a stunning TV, love it. Both Netflix and Amazon Video are via my PS4 Pro.

Out of interest, are you going to try out watching Prime Video and Netflix via the TVs built-in apps to compare to the PS4 Pro?

from experience id say, just live with it, you cant see it from viewing distance and its possible you will regret your decision if there are other issues with the replacement e.g. 2 stuck pixels lol

Personally I wouldn't accept a stuck pixel on a brand new set.

Hi guys, does a software exists to test my panel (blooming, clouding, pixel etc...)?
I know Ezio for monitor bur for TV's?
Thanks!

NEVER go looking for issues. If you can see something without going looking for it, then maybe test further with test screens but you'll regret going looking for things.

Personally I wouldn't accept a stuck pixel on a brand new set.

I'm in two minds. I managed to find it again after searching for it for ages. Can't see it 50cm+ away and I'm never going to sit that close. I can only notice it on a black background also. If this was a PC monitor I'd sent it back right away but I might just accept it. Still have a month to return/replace it.

Out of interest, are you going to try out watching Prime Video and Netflix via the TVs built-in apps to compare to the PS4 Pro?
Hi mate. I'll just use the PS4 Pro, I like how fluid it all is.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom