Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

So, being an idiot I am, I accidentally messed up my audio by clicking "audio" button on my remote. Now I don't know which one I'm supposed to have. Can anyone help? Or is this purely a preference only?

I provided 3 pictures to see what I'm talking about. Each time I click on "audio" button on the remote, I switched to and from A, B or blank
I think it only affects freeview or cable TV but I'm not 100% sure.

I'm curious about how some people have had absolutely no issues with DV on this TV, whereas others such as @Palexr have it so pronounced as you can see in their pics comparing DV to SDR in some titles. Are some people just getting lucky and never coming across badly done DV? Because the difference is enormous from those pics.
I think it's down to 2 things: people's expectations of hdr and how Dolby vision content is mastered. There are good Dolby vision content and bad Dolby vision content out there. And if someone hasn't seen hdr content before they have no point of reference.

Taking pictures is no use as it doesn't capture what your eyes will actually see if it was there. As someone who used to be woefully misinformed take it from me that beauty is really in the eyes of the beholder.

I think it's down to 2 things: people's expectations of hdr and how Dolby vision content is mastered. There are good Dolby vision content and bad Dolby vision content out there. And if someone hasn't seen hdr content before they have no point of reference.

I think this is a very important point. Having used a Samsung qled for the last 3 years I have seen good hdr material and poor hdr material in equal measure, The Mandalorian definitely being on the crappy end of the scale, therefore when I am watching something underwhelming visually I am probably more inclined to point the finger with how the content is mastered rather than the capabilities of the connected display

I think it only affects freeview or cable TV but I'm not 100% sure.
The pictures I provided were taken from HDMI3 which is the input of my receiver box from my internet provider where I watch daily TV. So do you know whather I should use A, B or blank? Because when I change it inbetween them there's a difference in hearing audio. And it's affecting the input I'M watching on TV programmes from internet providers receiver/box..

I will preface this by saying I’m not a huge fan of “copying and pasting” of people’s settings and fully aware of the pitfalls and the various issues that can effect tv picture and that what works for one does not work for another. Also, as I have said countless time’s, I’m a fair believe that a “perfect picture” is one that looks best to the owner / user of the tv.

I’ve been lucky enough in past to have fully blacked out room and have TVs and projectors professionally calibrated but now real life has taken over and I just have to make do with what I have.

Anyway, all that said.

The other day I stumbled across a post on another forum (it’s a competing forum I suppose with similar name but I’ll not link as not sure how that fits in with the rules)

Anyway I then read with interest one user who I have chatted with before and whose opinions I have always respected and saw his latest picture settings. Being bored I tried the ones he had for SDR BT.1886 2.4 gamma just to see what happened. I copied them exactly, although did up my brightness from his suggested 3 as my room is very bright

And wow. Was very very impressed. Had been working way through gangs of London via now tv (using the crappy Apple TV app) and the picture was massively improved from my previous settings (which in themselves are very close to a user here, although forgive me, I know we have chatted about it before but can’t remember name)

Anyway, I’ll not copy them here as think that may be bad form and again realise it’s a us based forum, but would certainly recommend if you have twenty minutes to see what think. The guys user name is Anderegg.

I think the real issue is down to material, The Mandalorian is a terrible example of HDR/DV but it was one I wanted to persist with because I wanted to watch it. Other material is fine.

But as you say it looks like with the later model they've catered for this kind of disparity in the quality - a "brighten" my DV setting?

After initially driving myself crazy with DV etc on Netflix I realised this is the issue, although last year things did improve after the Sony updates. Since then, it's very evident to me, on all formats, Netflix, Prime, Sky Q that the source is key to a great image. I do quite like HLG but have never been a fan of HDR10. DV, does however always provide a lovely crisp image, but some viewing can appear washed out. I've said it countless times, for me UHD is head an shoulders above the rest. I'm still not convinced that HDR isn't just a gimmick to try and sway buyers to purchase something new/different. Broadcasters/producers just need to concentrate on mainstream UHD and everyone would be very happy.

I will preface this by saying I’m not a huge fan of “copying and pasting” of people’s settings and fully aware of the pitfalls and the various issues that can effect tv picture and that what works for one does not work for another. Also, as I have said countless time’s, I’m a fair believe that a “perfect picture” is one that looks best to the owner / user of the tv.

I’ve been lucky enough in past to have fully blacked out room and have TVs and projectors professionally calibrated but now real life has taken over and I just have to make do with what I have.

Anyway, all that said.

The other day I stumbled across a post on another forum (it’s a competing forum I suppose with similar name but I’ll not link as not sure how that fits in with the rules)

Anyway I then read with interest one user who I have chatted with before and whose opinions I have always respected and saw his latest picture settings. Being bored I tried the ones he had for SDR BT.1886 2.4 gamma just to see what happened. I copied them exactly, although did up my brightness from his suggested 3 as my room is very bright

And wow. Was very very impressed. Had been working way through gangs of London via now tv (using the crappy Apple TV app) and the picture was massively improved from my previous settings (which in themselves are very close to a user here, although forgive me, I know we have chatted about it before but can’t remember name)

Anyway, I’ll not copy them here as think that may be bad form and again realise it’s a us based forum, but would certainly recommend if you have twenty minutes to see what think. The guys user name is Anderegg.

Don't suppose you could message them to me please?

Don't suppose you could message them to me please?

Just in case you are bored mate, If you go to AVSforum in the LCD panel section there is a x900f settings thread, the user posts everything in there, he also links it quite often from the main x900f thread.

Pretty sure most of his Calibrations use a colourmeter measured through HCFR so your milage may vary, no harm in giving them a try though I guess.

What's your room lighting situation? I just feel a bit iffy on how some people can't stand the Dolby Vision of the XF90 and say it's worse than watching sdr, and others who say it's completely fine. Sony did add a light/dark preset for Dolby Vision on the XG95, so that points to there being something there. P.S.: Have you compared the Dolby Vision on your xf90 to regular HDR?

The prices as of right now are (for 55" which is what I'm after): XF90 £680, XG95 £855, XH95 £1530. The new model premium/old model discount is there right now. Did you mean once the pricing comes down a bit, other sizes, or do you feel it's worth the extra £850/675? I'm not able to spend £1530 on a TV, and it does seem an awful lot extra to pay regardless.
As you can tell from all the replies there is zero to worry about Dolby vision on the XF as I play mostly UHD BD discs for HDR and DV and there as never be an issue, basically blow away how detailed the picture can be with HDR/DV.

Then I watched some DV on streaming, what a mess, the Witcher had a lovely black elevated hue to the whole programme it got that bad that on episode 4 I turned off and before that I watched the new star wars Mandalorian and while it was a good picture it was not HDR in any sense of the word. I have now gone back to normal 1080p without HDR for streaming and to me its looks lovely and looks more HDR than HDR because of the very poor mastering of some of the shows.

You maybe aware that there is Dolby vision dark or bright on the XG and above as I have no idea if that does anything meaning full as I never tested it, but I would of thought if it was mastered poorly to begin with, then it will not make it any better.

For the prices, the XH as not come down in price yet, that will be closer to the end of the year as the XF and XG are basically the same, with the XG having a faster processor and may help for streaming via the TV, but if you use an external source like myself then they are the same. The XH does have HDMI 2.1 with adaptive sync which will be useful if you plan on getting any of the new consoles PS5/XBOX series X otherwise it will not surprise me if its still the same amount of dimming zones etc…, as seen on the XF.

As you can tell from all the replies there is zero to worry about Dolby vision on the XF as I play mostly UHD BD discs for HDR and DV and there as never be an issue, basically blow away how detailed the picture can be with HDR/DV.

Then I watched some DV on streaming, what a mess, the Witcher had a lovely black elevated hue to the whole programme it got that bad that on episode 4 I turned off and before that I watched the new star wars Mandalorian and while it was a good picture it was not HDR in any sense of the word. I have now gone back to normal 1080p without HDR for streaming and to me its looks lovely and looks more HDR than HDR because of the very poor mastering of some of the shows.

You maybe aware that there is Dolby vision dark or bright on the XG and above as I have no idea if that does anything meaning full as I never tested it, but I would of thought if it was mastered poorly to begin with, then it will not make it any better.

For the prices, the XH as not come down in price yet, that will be closer to the end of the year as the XF and XG are basically the same, with the XG having a faster processor and may help for streaming via the TV, but if you use an external source like myself then they are the same. The XH does have HDMI 2.1 with adaptive sync which will be useful if you plan on getting any of the new consoles PS5/XBOX series X otherwise it will not surprise me if its still the same amount of dimming zones etc…, as seen on the XF.

As I understand it on the newer models Dolby vision “dark” is pretty much the same as the xf whilst “light” gives the same result as manually boosting gamma to +2 on the xf. (This from a few posts over on previous mentioned site)

Also all my viewing is digital / streaming with movies purchase for viewing via Apple TV. Certainly no issues with Dolby vision which majority of films are

As I understand it on the newer models Dolby vision “dark” is pretty much the same as the xf whilst “light” gives the same result as manually boosting gamma to +2 on the xf. (This from a few posts over on previous mentioned site)
I think there maybe a little more in it than that but will look it up. Going by what I read about a year ago it as something more to do with tracking than gamma, basically telling the TV that if a film is say 1000nits then it may become smaller value, say 500nits then the TV becomes brighter and because its dynamic metadata it would readjust the black level to match.

What streaming needs is the new Dolby vision IQ, so it uses the on-board light sensor with metadata and rebuild the data for the user’s room.

Also all my viewing is digital / streaming with movies purchase for viewing via Apple TV. Certainly no issues with Dolby vision which majority of films are

I started using a trail to make sure and it was on the APPS on my 55” I tested this and via my PC, but in windows 10 there is just rubbish support to get streaming looking really good, take amazon prime that’s rubbish on PC. So, my experience is down to just TV series only as I always use UHD BD for film watching.

I think there maybe a little more in it than that but will look it up. Going by what I read about a year ago it as something more to do with tracking than gamma, basically telling the TV that if a film is say 1000nits then it may become smaller value, say 500nits then the TV becomes brighter and because its dynamic metadata it would readjust the black level to match.

This is something I would be interested in learning more about, this is my first Sony TV since the 90s and my first DV set so I am still pretty green when it comes to Understanding the Menu picture functions and I know even less about what is correct with regards to the Dolby Vision eotf. That being said I should have available the tools to investigate (colour meter, calman, hdfury device for DV metadata insertion) with a raspberry pi as a pattern generator. Hopefully over the next few months as my understanding increases, I will be able to have a look.

Can anyone advise if they have sorted out the sluggish OS on this TV via updates yet? Thanks.

Can anyone advise if they have sorted out the sluggish OS on this TV via updates yet? Thanks.
Turn off YouView and see bow you get on.
I’ve disabled a few things but can’t remember what!
My menus fly along.

Hi not been on for a while anyone got the XF paired to a Sony HT-Z9F? Gone and buggered up the font by copying and pasting:)

I have never had a problem with the OS. Never seems sluggish to me.

Another issue I'm having using youtube app.

Here's the issue - Stream I'm watching is randomly "interrupted" by a short (0.5 - 1 second) black screen? I don't know how to explain, but when watching, a blank black screen interrupts the content and disappears after 1sec max. Happens every half a min circa. It kind of 'flashes' black and then it's normal.

I uploaded a video to show how what I'm talking about looks from my POV:

Would be nice if any of you could chip and run a test of your own. The video in question was a live stream, just type in the youtube search bar something in the lines of "Call of Duty League live group stage live". It's quite important that you run the said stream on the said channel because I just tested other live content and this isn't happening there. If someone could be bothered to help me by verifying if it's an isolated issue or not - I'd be very grateful.

I only have the X800.How much better is DV on UHD Blu Ray compared too HDR? If it’s only 10% it’s not worth spending £300 on the M2 just for DV.

Nothing wrong with the set in DV, the issue is the content. It's not all produced equally some are just upscaled such as the Mandalorian and it looks dreadfull as a result. Lots of post production are still adapting and learning how to use the stuff. It's not always maintained correctly through the entire process well either. DV is not a magic bullet that makes everything look amazing.

Would you recommend and do you have the rears? I've been thinking about taking the plunge on this with a view of adding speakers later. Does it really lift the sound? My alternative is the newer release in the last month or so without the rears being able to be added on.

Yes I would recommend. I do have the rears and they make more of a difference than the virtual atmos. The atmos does work if it is well done from the source. If it is trying to do it virtually it is not so good ( as you would expect).. It works well with the TV and provides good clear sound to my ears

Another issue I'm having using youtube app.

Here's the issue - Stream I'm watching is randomly "interrupted" by a short (0.5 - 1 second) black screen? I don't know how to explain, but when watching, a blank black screen interrupts the content and disappears after 1sec max. Happens every half a min circa. It kind of 'flashes' black and then it's normal.

I uploaded a video to show how what I'm talking about looks from my POV:

Would be nice if any of you could chip and run a test of your own. The video in question was a live stream, just type in the youtube search bar something in the lines of "Call of Duty League live group stage live". It's quite important that you run the said stream on the said channel because I just tested other live content and this isn't happening there. If someone could be bothered to help me by verifying if it's an isolated issue or not - I'd be very grateful.

Hey, I took a look on mine and I don't see the same issue that you mention.

Were you watching it live at the time or was the clip you uploaded pre-recorded? I assume you still see it if you watch it again.

Is it only this particular YouTube channel you see the issue?

Have you tried clearing the YouTube cache? Home\Settings\Apps

Otherwise not sure what it could be, especially if it's only occurring on that one channel.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom