Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

It's not just a single source it's for all hdr modes. I was playing FH4 yesterday and it was identical to my old NU7400 with no local dimming. I did some fast panning and the tv gets brighter momentarily and then quickly settles back to ~300 nits. I have auto local dimming/X-tended dynamic range to high, brightness to max and contrast the same and yet it isn't as blindly bright as others.

I've tested some netflix shows and Altered Carbon Ep.1 20:26-20:39 as the car headlights flashes by it literally is identical to sdr. The OA part 1 ep.5 6:10-7:50 (especially at 7:40). I haven't seen any bright specular highlights at all or any bright scenes for that matter so if there are certain scenes which are blindingly bright for you then I can check to see if the tv is faulty or if I've lost the plot.

When watching HDR does the Dolby Vision logo appear in the top right? Have you changed the Video settings from auto for colourspace and HDR in advanced settings? They should be left on auto.

Last edited:
I don’t think it works like that.
A factory reset resets all the settings to as it left the factory but doesn’t affect the operating system.
I’m 99% certain that’s how it works.

You’re totally correct that once the operating software has been updated, it is permanent and can’t be reversed even by a factory reset.

did some fast panning and the tv gets brighter momentarily and then quickly settles back to ~300 nits.
How do you know its 300nits? I take it you have some sort of measuring device if so then that’s way off, even in SDR turning brightness up (back light) I can get it up to 600nits.

Do you have access to a UHD BD player and if so, have you tested HDR from that as on this TV its blinding bright on most films?

Well guys here are my calibration settings as promised:) as I know some of you guys PM me and I did not get them up in the time I said due to my batt in my camera kept giving up and my phone is rubbish. So, I have done the old way and wrote them down, it’s a long list.
Apologies for truncating the post, I was wondering will you be updating to Android 8 Oreo soon and recalibrating your set?

Apologies for truncating the post, I was wondering will you be updating to Android 8 Oreo soon and recalibrating your set?
That was my plan, but it will not be for a while I’m afraid just can’t get the time as calibrating the Sony after trying the new Samsung models and PC with automatic calibrating as after a 5min wait its all done for you, the Sony takes a good few hours and i really happy with the Sony without Oreo too.

When I do get around to doing it and waiting just a bit longer to see if anything amiss with Oreo I will post them up.

Hi. Sorry to crash your thread. But you seem clued up. I’ve connected mine but sounds too tinny to what I’m used to. How do I adjust bass etc?
Hi @Eibbsheh, and welcome to the forum. If you go into settings and select sound, I believe there are different sound modes,Standard, Dialogue etc. You could try one of these. Also I believe under advanced settings there is an equaliser setting. Bit woolly because I haven’t delved deep into these menus as I run a surround sound system.
I think what people are saying on here is that the sound from the tv is not great. If you are serious about sound then they way forward is to purchase a sound bar. Hope that helps. Don’t be afraid to ask questions we were all newbies once:)

If it’s anything like what the shield tv users took too the forums saying when that got Oreo, I’d not rush lol

What’s this. I have an Nvidia Shield

When watching HDR does the Dolby Vision logo appear in the top right? Have you changed the Video settings from auto for colourspace and HDR in advanced settings? They should be left on auto.
How do you know its 300nits? I take it you have some sort of measuring device if so then that’s way off, even in SDR turning brightness up (back light) I can get it up to 600nits.

Do you have access to a UHD BD player and if so, have you tested HDR from that as on this TV its blinding bright on most films?
I promise I'm not making this up. I used to own a NU7400 and it had a peak brightness of ~270-300 nits and every tv I've owned before that had a peak brightness in that same ballpark. I have 4k demos that I watched numerous times on my old NU7400 and my 49xf90 is literally identical to it luminance wise. Auto local dimming, brightness and x-tended dynamic range are on high. The dolby vision icon does pop up when I'm on netflix.

I took a picture of the service menu and I noticed ld error. Not sure what this means but I have a feeling that the motherboard needs replacing because something isn't right.

Attachments

• Service menu.jpg
    Service menu.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 129
I promise I'm not making this up. I used to own a NU7400 and it had a peak brightness of ~270-300 nits and every tv I've owned before that had a peak brightness in that same ballpark. I have 4k demos that I watched numerous times on my old NU7400 and my 49xf90 is literally identical to it luminance wise. Auto local dimming, brightness and x-tended dynamic range are on high. The dolby vision icon does pop up when I'm on netflix.

I took a picture of the service menu and I noticed ld error. Not sure what this means but I have a feeling that the motherboard needs replacing because something isn't right.
AVF only accepts swears on lives as valid tender.

(Disclaimer. I'm not affiliated with AVForums and it doesn't subscribe to my views)

How are you measuring your nits figure ?
Have you viewed another set, same as yours, such as in a store, and see a difference ?

What are you doing in the service menu ?

How are you measuring your nits figure ?
Have you viewed another set, same as yours, such as in a store, and see a difference ?

What are you doing in the service menu ?
I was just taking a look into the service menu to check whether there was a fault, didn't change anything. I've used 4k demos that I've used so many times on my old NU7400 and I've panned the backlight from min to max and the luminance of the tv barely changes. This tv is meant to be hitting ~500 nits when backlight is max yet I'm watching in a dark room and not noticing much difference. I think either the pwm values in the service menu must be wrong or the motherboard is at fault. I'm very sensitive to light fluctuations and at maximum brightness with various hdr (dv) content this tv does not get bright at all and I'm watching in a dark room with auto local dimming/x-tended dynamic range on high and brightness at max and the video options menu (hdr mode, hdmi video range and colour space) on auto.

Yes xf9005 sound quality is gross. Q9fn is much better in that regard.

That's a bit like saying a parsnip is better than a carrot though. I've yet to heard any current television with a decent built in speaker system. A sound bar with sub is the only way forward if you value sound.

My understanding is that menu is showing a clean bill of health just the hours watched. Is be very careful when accessing those menus as well as I've heard reports it can invalidate your warranty.

That's a bit like saying a parsnip is better than a carrot though. I've yet to heard any current television with a decent built in speaker system. A sound bar with sub is the only way forward if you value sound.
Ahem! A separates system is the best.

My understanding is that menu is showing a clean bill of health just the hours watched. Is be very careful when accessing those menus as well as I've heard reports it can invalidate your warranty.
Don't worry I was careful and just took a photo of the page, it's only when you change a value that it gets logged. Since the tv is dim I have to have backlight at around 30-40 depending on the picture mode and even then I can see reflections in the tv. I'll have to put my foot down with Sony as the guy I spoke to seemed very understanding and accommodating. I've been through LG and Samsung and now Sony. I'm starting to think I'm cursed as all my tvs were faulty in one way or another.

I managed to get a brand new sony bravia kd75xf9005 for £1850 due to a supposed damaged box. I got lucky and it's definitely brand new. Can someone advise how the Sony 5 year warranties work? Do they send you a warranty email confirming the validity of your warranty once you've registered it like Hisense did for example with my hisense HE65K5510?....I bought the Sony from Ebay from a bricks and mortar vat registered company which I believe is what Sony require for warranty purposes. It would be good piece of mind to know either way. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Don't worry I was careful and just took a photo of the page, it's only when you change a value that it gets logged. Since the tv is dim I have to have backlight at around 30-40 depending on the picture mode and even then I can see reflections in the tv. I'll have to put my foot down with Sony as the guy I spoke to seemed very understanding and accommodating. I've been through LG and Samsung and now Sony. I'm starting to think I'm cursed as all my tvs were faulty in one way or another.

I have mine 30-35 too. Anything else is too dark. Seen some have it at 1. Can’t see a thing that low! Thought it was just me.

I was just taking a look into the service menu to check whether there was a fault, didn't change anything. I've used 4k demos that I've used so many times on my old NU7400 and I've panned the backlight from min to max and the luminance of the tv barely changes. This tv is meant to be hitting ~500 nits when backlight is max yet I'm watching in a dark room and not noticing much difference. I think either the pwm values in the service menu must be wrong or the motherboard is at fault. I'm very sensitive to light fluctuations and at maximum brightness with various hdr (dv) content this tv does not get bright at all and I'm watching in a dark room with auto local dimming/x-tended dynamic range on high and brightness at max and the video options menu (hdr mode, hdmi video range and colour space) on auto.

Ive just bought the samsung 55nu7400 for the bedroom, and I have the sony 65xf9005 in the lounge. The sony is far brighter than the samsung. Infact, the sony on a mid brightness setting in a darkened room was unbearably bright when a light coloured screen was on. The samsung on the other hand is almost on full brightness but is still not overly bright. It sounds like you do indeed have a problem with your sony.
Im returning the samsung as ive now ordered another sony. The sony picture is just so much better in every way, but I will miss the amazing smart remote with the samsung.

I managed to get a brand new sony bravia kd75xf9005 for £1850 due to a supposed damaged box. I got lucky and it's definitely brand new. Can someone advise how the Sony 5 year warranties work? Do they send you a warranty email confirming the validity of your warranty once you've registered it like Hisense did for example with my hisense HE65K5510?....I bought the Sony from Ebay from a bricks and mortar vat registered company which I believe is what Sony require for warranty purposes. It would be good piece of mind to know either way. Thanks in advance...
I may be wrong, if it's an ebay purchase you may not qualify for the warranty as the TV may be listed with Sony as an 'other not new/refurb' etc. sale due to the damaged boxing and/or possible return which don't qualify beyond one year. But you may be lucky. It should've said on the page.

I have mine 30-35 too. Anything else is too dark. Seen some have it at 1. Can’t see a thing that low! Thought it was just me.
Ive just bought the samsung 55nu7400 for the bedroom, and I have the sony 65xf9005 in the lounge. The sony is far brighter than the samsung. Infact, the sony on a mid brightness setting in a darkened room was unbearably bright when a light coloured screen was on. The samsung on the other hand is almost on full brightness but is still not overly bright. It sounds like you do indeed have a problem with your sony.
Im returning the samsung as ive now ordered another sony. The sony picture is just so much better in every way, but I will miss the amazing smart remote with the samsung.

49" btw and I've been doing some research and the 55"+ seems immune to this. I bought this tv since it was heavily recommended as providing the best price/quality ratio. Since you own both tvs and said at 25 the Sony was very bright then the tv is at fault. I'm coming up to 14 days (on wednesday) since I've bought this tv and if this can't be fixed by firmware I need to get on the phone with Richer Sounds. I really don't wanna go another round with them (not in a bad way) because I had to huff and puff a lot to get this exchange but if this tv cannot get bright then I don't know what to do. Knowing my luck it's bank holiday so I only got Tuesday/Wednesday to get to the bottom of this. If Sony are going to be useless then I'm going back to Richer Sounds again, I ain't having this.

I may be wrong, if it's an ebay purchase you may not qualify for the warranty as the TV may be listed with Sony as an 'other not new/refurb' etc. sale due to the damaged boxing and/or possible return which don't qualify beyond one year. But you may be lucky. It should've said on the page.

Yeah I do get a 1 year guarantee with the seller regardless but it was the Sony 5 year warranty I wasnt sure about. It seems a strange way that they handle their warranties. Lots of confused people on the Sony forums with the same query. If I only get the 1 year then thats fine, it was a good saving regardless.

Yeah I do get a 1 year guarantee with the seller regardless but it was the Sony 5 year warranty I wasnt sure about. It seems a strange way that they handle their warranties. Lots of confused people on the Sony forums with the same query. If I only get the 1 year then thats fine, it was a good saving regardless.
Is there any way for the original owner to transfer it or is that not possible?

In that case, I would register, put the shop (address) as seller (not via ebay info) with and hope.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom