Sony KD XF9005 Owners and Discussion Thread

TwoJs

Distinguished Member
The XF90 is still a quality TV if you can get your hands on one brand new with 5/6 year warranty. If not then may as well plump for the XG9505 instead.
Yep your right, from all the reviews I have read it looks a cracking set, I was tempted by an OLED but with potential burn in issues and obviously costing quite abit more for something good like an LG for example, I will be happy with the Sony.

Trum

Novice Member
Thanks for the input about the Dolby vision. I have another question though, when I watch Netflix through the tv is changes the picture setting to Dolby Vision (which looks dull and muted). When I watch Netflix through my virgin V6 box the tv detects hdr and i can pick the picture setting i like (vivid, standard etc) any idea why this is? Think ill stick to the hrd as it looks better!

Thanks

Tris

Mallett94

Thanks for the input about the Dolby vision. I have another question though, when I watch Netflix through the tv is changes the picture setting to Dolby Vision (which looks dull and muted). When I watch Netflix through my virgin V6 box the tv detects hdr and i can pick the picture setting i like (vivid, standard etc) any idea why this is? Think ill stick to the hrd as it looks better!

Thanks

Tris
The V6 box 'only' does HDR10 which is static metadata at 10bits. Dolby Vision is a more advanced format of HDR which contains dynamic metadata and is mastered at 12 bits.

I implore you to upgrade you TV to the latest firmware version (via USB as this is the easiest way to get the latest firmware). On earlier versions the implementation of Dolby Vision was flawed but has been improved in recent updates.

Once if you have done this and tried DV again, and still prefer non-DV then fair play that is your personal preference.

Will you do me a favour. Once you have updated your TV, set up your Cinema Pro picture mode on the V6 box hdmi input to exactly match my 'Cinema Pro HDR10' settings in the link i provided you above. Watch something in 4k netflix that is hdr10 for 5/10 mins. Now change to the built-in Netflix and watch the same 5/10 minute slot of what you just viewed but as DV (ensuring you have set up the Dolby Vision picture mode exactly as i have described in my settings link above).

What do you think now?

Cheers.

Bat-man

Remember that a 55 inch tv today wont look as big as a 55inch tv from back in the day because the bezels on decent tvs these days are so much smaller than in the past!
And the 4:3 aspect ratio of the past gave a greater screen area for the same diagonal compared to the 16:9 of today.

Trum

Novice Member
The V6 box 'only' does HDR10 which is static metadata at 10bits. Dolby Vision is a more advanced format of HDR which contains dynamic metadata and is mastered at 12 bits.

I implore you to upgrade you TV to the latest firmware version (via USB as this is the easiest way to get the latest firmware). On earlier versions the implementation of Dolby Vision was flawed but has been improved in recent updates.

Once if you have done this and tried DV again, and still prefer non-DV then fair play that is your personal preference.

Will you do me a favour. Once you have updated your TV, set up your Cinema Pro picture mode on the V6 box hdmi input to exactly match my 'Cinema Pro HDR10' settings in the link i provided you above. Watch something in 4k netflix that is hdr10 for 5/10 mins. Now change to the built-in Netflix and watch the same 5/10 minute slot of what you just viewed but as DV (ensuring you have set up the Dolby Vision picture mode exactly as i have described in my settings link above).

What do you think now?

Cheers.
Thanks for that. So I have done all that (the tv had the latest software already) and yes i agree that the dolby does look marginally better clarity wise, but im still not 100% happy with the colour saturation (if thats right).
I probably am a bit swayed by more "vivid" look of images you see in the store sets. How would i go about just adding a touch more "pop" to the colour without going too artificial?

Thank you for all your help.

Tris

superchip

Novice Member
I've had the 75 inch of this TV since the end of last year and have been happily watching mkv hdr movies via the side usb ports since, a couple of weeks ago I downloaded the latest firmware and now the movies keep crashing and then nothing on the usb stick works, if I take the power plug out of the socket and then replug in I can play stuff on the usb again, until it crashes again half way through the movie.

Seems firmware related to me given that it was fine before I updated, anyone else having issues with usb playback since updating firmware?

Mallett94

Thanks for that. So I have done all that (the tv had the latest software already) and yes i agree that the dolby does look marginally better clarity wise, but im still not 100% happy with the colour saturation (if thats right).
I probably am a bit swayed by more "vivid" look of images you see in the store sets. How would i go about just adding a touch more "pop" to the colour without going too artificial?

Thank you for all your help.

Tris
I would implore you try for a couple of weeks not using vivid type settings and getting adjusted to more 'calibrated-esque, true to the directors intended vision' settings.

I hope I've been helpful.

Mallett94

Ill give it a go for a few weeks see if i "adjust".

Thanks.

Tris
Awesome!

In that case, for general viewing, try setting your cinema home picture mode to an exact replica of my cinema home settings in the link attached previously.

On your V6 box, change the cinema pro to cinema home if you are watching regular SDR content, or if you wish to 'upconvert SDR to HDR' try my uoconvert cinema pro setting haha.

Hope you enjoy the TV!

Out of interest could could go into a bit more detail in the differences you found between 4J Netflix at HDR10 via V6 box Vs Dolby Vision through built in app? What show/film did you test with?

Cheers!

Metalex

I would implore you try for a couple of weeks not using vivid type settings and getting adjusted to more 'calibrated-esque, true to the directors intended vision' settings.

I hope I've been helpful.
This.

To be blunt, when you get used to the more accurate settings, any type of vivid setting looks horrible.

LCDseeker

yeah I'm still not 100 % with the choice.. I can dispute and say I'm not happy just if I get the store credit back will be the hassle with the delivery again of a new unit too. I'm also assuming the xg will be be a new unit compared to refurbished one I got sent. I am 6 feet away from the TV so 55 would be a over kill.. How far are you?
I'm maybe 7-8 feet. When I got my store credit they send a code of sorts and you then arrange with the shop. I had to take my television back in to Richer Sounds and collect my new one, a bit of a hassle but well worth it. It's not guaranteed to be a new unit.

LCDseeker

I was going to get a new set and had the 55XF9005 firmly in my head, your saying I should not bother and go with an OLED.
It does sound abit unlucky on having that many problems with a panel, I have a 55CX680B Panasonic currently had nearly 5 years and it's rock solid, just lacks HDR etc that's why I want a new TV lol
No I'm not saying that. I've had insects get in to my last three Sony televisions. All top end sets the XD9305, XE9305 (AWESOME set) and then the XF9005. I'm on my second XF9005 and suddenly Sony are saying insects in the set aren't covered under their warranty so IF/when it happens again then my only option is OLED which are sealed so apparently can't happen. The television itself is excellent for the money, and I would absolutely snap one up at the current price, and definitely around Black Friday.

LCDseeker

Yeah true I just don't know what Sony will say. Surely if I don't take the 49xg9005 and they say I can't get the xf9005 55 inch or pay some more for the 9505xg I could go bk to the 49xg can they offer me worse quality...
I my experience, and I've had quite a bit these last few years, there customer relations department is excellent. It can take a couple of weeks to get the resolution you want but just be really honest with them. They wont try to fiddle you if you know what you're talking about. If you are unsure I would definitely go for the store credit option and then get exactly what you want brand new in store with a new warranty. Sony might agree to send you a better/bigger set if you pay the difference but it might not be a new one.

Razer08

anyone else having issues with usb playback since updating firmware?
My xf90s have always been bipolar, but more videos used to work with the vanilla firmware. Now the tv will refuse to play almost half of my 4k demos and is temperamental when I'm adjusting picture settings on the fly.

Harry1986

I my experience, and I've had quite a bit these last few years, there customer relations department is excellent. It can take a couple of weeks to get the resolution you want but just be really honest with them. They wont try to fiddle you if you know what you're talking about. If you are unsure I would definitely go for the store credit option and then get exactly what you want brand new in store with a new warranty. Sony might agree to send you a better/bigger set if you pay the difference but it might not be a new one.
Hi thanks for the information I ended up taking the offer for the 49xg9005. Hopefully I will be happy and this one fault free.. Worse case scenario if its actually less quality of the xf9005 then I'll just have to see what Sony says I want to be getting a TV of standard I originally paid for. Thanks again I'll update you on when I have an update timescale of the replacement availability.

Mallett94

Ill give it a go for a few weeks see if i "adjust".

Thanks.

Tris
In answer to your question, and this is personal preference, you can try turning on to different levels, 1: contrast enahncer, 2: black level adjust, 3: live colour.

I don't recommend this but as stated before personal preference wins out and to each their own. FYI if you are interested about getting the motions settings set up in the best way, see this link here for a detailed explanation => Sony Motionflow & Film mode Settings Explained (finally!)

Hope this helps.

Mallett94

If anyone is up and watching the England Ruby union match, which is being broadcast in 1080i, if you're on Android TV Oreo and watching ITV 1 HD through the built in Freeview, try setting your Motionflow to Custom, Smoothness 4, Clearness 1 Film mode High.

The motion is much improved.

If anyone is watching it via another source e.g. Sky/Virgin/Youview box and it is outputting a progressive signal, try smoothness at 3.

Hope this helps and come on England!

Mad Ad

Standard Member
Is there a way to force HDR mode on?

If no, is there a way to set up a standard profile (I could use custom) with HDR settings or does the auto-hdr system provide more than can be set in the standard profiles?

Lastly, are all the profiles (eg vivid, cinema home, sports etc) just variations on a theme and I can just use any of them as custom profiles if i want? or again are there things going on behind the consumer settings that cant be changed?

Thanks guys!!

Bat-man

...Lastly, are all the profiles (eg vivid, cinema home, sports etc) just variations on a theme and I can just use any of them as custom profiles if i want? or again are there things going on behind the consumer settings that cant be changed?..
I know that gamma tracking varies on different profiles.

Johnny23

Novice Member
Hello,

What would you get in 55" size now? XF90 or XG95 ?
I had a great XE90 before. I watch mainly HD sports, gaming PS4 PRO (Sdr, Hdr)
I consider XG95 with the better cpu. But it seems according to reviews it's not surely the better set? I personally scare a bit about the more blooming, less contrast too

Thank you the help.

Last edited:

Mallett94

Hello,

I consider XG95 with the better cpu. But it seems according to reviews it's not surely the better set? I personally scare a bit about the more blooming, less contrast too

Thank you the help.
I think there is only less contrast on the 75 and 85 inch models which come with 'wide angle' technology, however don't quote me on that 😬

LCDseeker

Hello,

Thank you the help.
The difference is only slight so depends on your budget really. Whatever you decide I'd personally wait until Black Friday and get a bargain.

jedifozzie

Quick one guys had my 55xf9005 nearly 12months picture was perfect up dated to Oreo about 3 weeks ago and picture isn’t the same used same settings after a factory reset but getting issues brightness/contrast flashing between scenes if that makes sense not all scenes same using built in you view and Apple TV 4K.

Bat-man

My first thought is have you got contrast enhancer on high? That can cause the effect you describe.

LCDseeker

Quick one guys had my 55xf9005 nearly 12months picture was perfect up dated to Oreo about 3 weeks ago and picture isn’t the same used same settings after a factory reset but getting issues brightness/contrast flashing between scenes if that makes sense not all scenes same using built in you view and Apple TV 4K.
I'd try a second factory reset and then have a good play with the settings. I noticed an improvement in picture quality when I updated but also noticed changes in the preset image quality. What are you settings?

samplehead

Standard Member
I am having a bit of a strange issue. A couple of month ago I noticed that the TV sometimes goes in deep sleep mode, so when I turn it on with the remote, it's booting up the Android OS. This seams to happen randomly and sometimes it happens after just a couple of days and sometimes after a week. I have tried a factory reset, but that didn't help. Anyone else experienced this?

jedifozzie

jedifozzie

I am having a bit of a strange issue. A couple of month ago I noticed that the TV sometimes goes in deep sleep mode, so when I turn it on with the remote, it's booting up the Android OS. This seams to happen randomly and sometimes it happens after just a couple of days and sometimes after a week. I have tried a factory reset, but that didn't help. Anyone else experienced this?
Are you connected to audio sys by Arc ??