Sony KD XF9005 LED LCD TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Hi folks ...just a question about picture modes on the picture set up menu.
Vivid, Standard, custom, cinema pro and so on, if i was to have the exact same settings on each of the picture modes would they all look the same or does each picture mode add something different. Really cant decide which picture mode to settle on .

They are all different. I personally like custom or Standard and tweek the settings for these. It all depends on your own viewing conditions and eyes so don't get too hung up about what others recommend. Out of the box settings are pretty good.

No, they are all different more so for HDR.

For SDR they act more normal, the only thing that is major different would be gamma tracking, Cinema Pro and Home being the best or flat, custom will have a slight roll off at the darker end so will seem to have more clipping in the shadows etc…, if you use contrast enhancer that will work very different on all profiles.

HDR will have the best tracking on cinema pro, then Home and custom being darker.
So for skyQ viewing in HD which would be 90% of our viewing then 10% UHD which picture mode would you choose to start with ??

They are all different. I personally like custom or Standard and tweek the settings for these. It all depends on your own viewing conditions and eyes so don't get too hung up about what others recommend. Out of the box settings are pretty good.
Yeah bud this is the problem.....you just keep tweaking and faffing about .

Hi, Has anyone else had lip sync issues with this tv. Mine seems to. Noticed it on inbuilt freeview tuner again last night watching ch4hd? Ive had it quite a few times now on various sources.

Yes I notice quite bad lip sync issues when using external HDMI sources, the built in apps seem a little better. I'm using a Samsung soundbar with digital optical cable.

I am a bit worried over my new XF9005 TV that I got for about 2 months ago. At first I didn't see any issues with this TV, but for a couple weeks ago I started to see some type of artifacts on the screen. The first picture showing an internal Kodi app playing a TV show. The vertical lines are only visible when the background is black and I can not see this when playing the same material from a HDMI connected Android TV box. However, when using the same material on my old Sony XD8505 with the same Internal Kodi app, I don't see this. The second and third picture is from the home menu and there I can see some other artifacts in the middle of the screen. On my other TV, there is nothing like that. Have anyone experienced something similar?

Attachments

• IMG_20181226_184731.jpg
    IMG_20181226_184731.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 184
  • Bild 6.jpg
    Bild 6.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 186
  • Bild 2.jpg
    Bild 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 192
I have tested and indeed, no atmos information detected by ATV while connected on port 2 HDMI of the TV, but you would get 5.1 if you use option 2 or LPM at output audio settings in TV (both Netflix and Infuse). I recommend using Optical cable as well. Maybe if the TV will support eARC via future updates - which I think will not happen being reserved for high end TVs) then atmos will be passed to hdmi/arc port. My soundbar HT-ZF9 already got the update to hdmi 2.1 (eARC) but not the TV... If you really want atmos passed via TV to soundbar you need a new TV like A9F and Z9F.

Thanks ever so much for checking for me. So I would have to plug ATV directly into the Samsung sounds bar to get Atmos? I cannot use my Sony UHD blu ray, as it doesn’t support DV.

Hi,
I got the 65” of this little beast before christmas and I am fairly impressed with it.
Coming from a plasma, not minding the black level or blooming at all, but really appreciating the brightness, mothion and 4k/hdr features.
Also personally happy with android tv, comparing it wih an other sony I had (terrible) and a shield (almost there).

The problem I have is in having it talking properly with an apple tv.
I have an AV receiver that only aupports 4k SDR so I am connecting the ATV to the tv and sending back the audio via ARC. The problem is that for some reason the apple tv only see the tv able to support stereo, so it sends only stereo sound (from any dd, dts, dts-hd source). Using infuse so I am expending a 5.1 lpcm, but does not happen. I can only have 5.1 if I force the ATV to output dolby digital, but not ideal. I can play the same files toh the internal video player with audio over arc passing correctly dd or dts, as expected.

I also tried to put an hdmi splitter sending different feeds to AV and TV, but the TV lowers the audio signal at stereo for both.

Any idea of how I can convince the apple tv to send 5.1 LPCM instead of 2.0 to the tv?

Thanks
ARC won't support 5.1 LPCM, it doesn't have the bandwidth, it will only support 2 channel LPCM or lossy 5.1 (DD/DTS). Seeing as the ATV don't support bitstreaming it defaults to LPCM which only gives you stereo over arc.
There's a small possibility the Oreo update which will supposedly bring eARC could fix your problem but I wouldn't get too excited.
I have mine set to decode the sound to DD 5.1, I'm happy enough with it for now.

Yes I notice quite bad lip sync issues when using external HDMI sources, the built in apps seem a little better. I'm using a Samsung soundbar with digital optical cable.

Ive now switched off the bravia sync option in the settings menu as advised. Hopefully this will work, not had any sync issues so far but its early days yet.

How does the Sony XF9005 compare with the Panasonic FX750 does anyone know I’m in the market for a new tv.

Apologies if this has already been raised and answered, but looking on the TechRadar review of the 65" Sony XF90, they write under the HD/SDR section of the review, "Sony is so confident about its HDR upgrade system, in fact, that it’s applied by default to the majority of the TV’s picture presets." So what is this "HDR upgrade system", is it the X-Tended Dynamic Range' function, or some else entirely?

ARC won't support 5.1 LPCM, it doesn't have the bandwidth, it will only support 2 channel LPCM or lossy 5.1 (DD/DTS). Seeing as the ATV don't support bitstreaming it defaults to LPCM which only gives you stereo over arc.
There's a small possibility the Oreo update which will supposedly bring eARC could fix your problem but I wouldn't get too excited.
I have mine set to decode the sound to DD 5.1, I'm happy enough with it for now.

Be good if it did eARC. I’m not planning on changing my set again for a good few years. Probably when 8K comes out.

Apologies if this has already been raised and answered, but looking on the TechRadar review of the 65" Sony XF90, they write under the HD/SDR section of the review, "Sony is so confident about its HDR upgrade system, in fact, that it’s applied by default to the majority of the TV’s picture presets." So what is this "HDR upgrade system", is it the X-Tended Dynamic Range' function, or some else entirely?

Yup, that's exactly it. The x-tended dynamic range setting attempts to make non HDR material look a bit more like true hdr. It's quite effective at times as well, although not to everyone's taste. It's also required for true HDR material to allow the tv to reproduce the full range.

Andy

Viewing angles are actually ok so long as you have X-tended dynamic range, advanced contrast enhancer and live colour on at least low for all three (It’s still a VA panel though).

I usually have most of that turned off (always have with every Sony set) but I’ve decided to see how I like ‘Low’ for each one and I must say I’ve seen an improvement in a lot of areas, despite what everyone tells me.

Thanks ever so much for checking for me. So I would have to plug ATV directly into the Samsung sounds bar to get Atmos? I cannot use my Sony UHD blu ray, as it doesn’t support DV.
Hi,
You have to plug ATV 4k into soundbar in order to get atmos from online streaming services like iTunes and netflix but not from offline files. Your bluray unit should support Dolby vision via firmware update but your Samsung soundbar would not passthrough it. For DV passthrough you should use only a soundbar from sony like xf/zf-90. There are lg soundbar that support dv passthrough but only for LG TVs.

Viewing angles are actually ok so long as you have X-tended dynamic range, advanced contrast enhancer and live colour on at least low for all three (It’s still a VA panel though).

I usually have most of that turned off (always have with every Sony set) but I’ve decided to see how I like ‘Low’ for each one and I must say I’ve seen an improvement in a lot of areas, despite what everyone tells me.

Always had mine on low live colour. Gives it, that little bit of pop, without going to saturated.

Hi,
You have to plug ATV 4k into soundbar in order to get atmos from online streaming services like iTunes and netflix but not from offline files. Your bluray unit should support Dolby vision via firmware update but your Samsung soundbar would not passthrough it. For DV passthrough you should use only a soundbar from sony like xf/zf-90. There are lg soundbar that support dv passthrough but only for LG TVs.

I haven’t purchased the sound bar yet. It does support dv, but does that only work if you using it on a Samsung tv? If Sony release a 7.1.4 soundbar at E3, I’ll wait. I’d rather keep all my setup Sony. I’m only looking at the Samsung, as it is the only current 7.1.4 soundbar available. My X800 is not able to be upgraded for DV. I’m not getting a X700 for that. Poor build quality. I have 40 UHD Blu Ray discs, none of them have DV only HDR. I don’t think DV is going to catch on physical media. Better for streaming DV.

I haven’t purchased the sound bar yet. It does support dv, but does that only work if you using it on a Samsung tv? If Sony release a 7.1.4 soundbar at E3, I’ll wait. I’d rather keep all my setup Sony. I’m only looking at the Samsung, as it is the only current 7.1.4 soundbar available. My X800 is not able to be upgraded for DV. I’m not getting a X700 for that. Poor build quality. I have 40 UHD Blu Ray discs, none of them have DV only HDR. I don’t think DV is going to catch on physical media. Better for streaming DV.
You are correct. Dv passthrough work only in combination with Samsung tv. Maybe should wait for newer sound soundbars from sony.

Yeah bud this is the problem.....you just keep tweaking and faffing about .

The trick is to sit down for an hour or two with a variety of different sources/films etc and set it up, tweak and then leave well alone.

Why is Dolby Vision not compatible between different manufacturers? HDR is a standard format. The UHD format & standards are so complicated for the average buyer. I was an IT engineer, so I’m familiar with lots of different standards & terminology. But I spent 5 months deciding which UHD set to buy. 8 bit frac or 10 bits, rgbw LG, VA or OLED, Dolby Vision or not, HDMI UHD 60fps all ports, arc, Netflix Atmos support etc. How is an normal buyer mean to know what to buy? Then the individual setup for SD,HD,UHD SDR & UHD HDR. Why has it become so complicated?

I am a bit worried over my new XF9005 TV that I got for about 2 months ago. At first I didn't see any issues with this TV, but for a couple weeks ago I started to see some type of artifacts on the screen. The first picture showing an internal Kodi app playing a TV show. The vertical lines are only visible when the background is black and I can not see this when playing the same material from a HDMI connected Android TV box. However, when using the same material on my old Sony XD8505 with the same Internal Kodi app, I don't see this. The second and third picture is from the home menu and there I can see some other artifacts in the middle of the screen. On my other TV, there is nothing like that. Have anyone experienced something similar?

It doesn't look right to me. I'd contact Sony and send the pictures.

Why is Dolby Vision not compatible between different manufacturers? HDR is a standard format. The UHD format & standards are so complicated for the average buyer. I was an IT engineer, so I’m familiar with lots of different standards & terminology. But I spent 5 months deciding which UHD set to buy. 8 bit frac or 10 bits, rgbw LG, VA or OLED, Dolby Vision or not, HDMI UHD 60fps all ports, arc, Netflix Atmos support etc. How is an normal buyer mean to know what to buy? Then the individual setup for SD,HD,UHD SDR & UHD HDR. Why has it become so complicated?

So all the manufacturers can keep selling televisions. In reality picture quality can only improve so much so they invent all these add ons to try to aid sales.

Well, got my 75" XF9005 and took a bit of a risk by wacking it on the wall unseen, courtesy of a SANU-VLL5 static wall bracket. Luckily, once turned on, there was nothing wrong with the set. Dayam, it's big! Love it to bits already.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom