Sony KD**X9005B (2014) 4K Owners Thread

... I think many might take the plunge for 2013 55X version which now just £2099 form Appliances Direct/ Direct TVs inc of 5 year warranty :clap:

No longer available to order online directly from the Sony website. It also says on the Sony website that you can have a 5 year guarantee for a £ 1.00. Also other online retailers seem to now have it available to pre-order.
Model no's are 55X9005B & 65X9005B.
Really looking forward to reading some reviews of what forum members think of this TV. Also, would it be possible please for the AV Forums team to get this TV in and post the first UK review. It would be also great if a comparison could be done with the X9005A (2013 Model) in terms of picture, sound quality and active 3D performance. That would be absolutely fantastic ! Have Sony improved things for this years model or have they cut costs ? Very interested to know.

It would be also great if a comparison could be done with the X9005A (2013 Model) in terms of picture, sound quality and active 3D performance. That would be absolutely fantastic ! Have Sony improved things for this years model or have they cut costs ? Very interested to know.

I'm interested as well...
This model seems to have active 3d compared to x9005a passive 3d
If the panels are different then maybe this time the whole 3d image will be shown in full 1080p compared to the downgraded 540p of the previous model (I'm speaking of the 55" model only,the 65" didn't have this problem)

I'm interested as well...
This model seems to have active 3d compared to x9005a passive 3d
If the panels are different then maybe this time the whole 3d image will be shown in full 1080p compared to the downgraded 540p of the previous model (I'm speaking of the 55" model only,the 65" didn't have this problem)

If its active then yes the 3D should be at least 1080p, in fact won't it be 4k (upscaled)? It is active though , many people prefer passive for the flicker free, brighter and less fatiguing experience

Welcome all!

This is the new thread for the Sony 2014 4K X9005B range of televisions. Thought I'd kick start the thread for those of us who have taken the plunge. I'll be placing an order for the 65" next week. According to Sony, shipping will begin around the second week of May.

Last edited:
65" for me too but waiting on launch prices - and launch discounts :)

Welcome all!

This is the new thread for the Sony 2014 4K X9005B range of televisions. Thought I'd kick start the thread for those of us who have taken the plunge. I'll be placing an order for the 65" next week.
Congrats Lalami1990 on your new purchase. I can assume then that Sonic Direct sorted out your X9005A issue to your satisfaction.
Looking forward to hearing what you think when you get your new TV, especially as to how the new fluid magnetic fluid speakers sound and if they are an improvement on the 2013 model.

have you seen the tv in the flesh? the speaker placement just looks off to me, maybe its because ive been drooling over the 2013 tv for far to long :). When you get it let me know how it handles the 10e and 30w uhd demo's

And so the 4K Sony mantle passes to a new generation. God speed!

…..and all who sailed in her :)

You will have to take up golf or something!

have you seen the tv in the flesh? the speaker placement just looks off to me, maybe its because ive been drooling over the 2013 tv for far to long :). When you get it let me know how it handles the 10e and 30w uhd demo's

Have to admit, I don't like how they have placed the speakers but I think thats because of the placement of the camera on the TV. I'm definitely going to hook it up to my motorised dish and try some 4K demo channels.

Congrats Lalami1990 on your new purchase. I can assume then that Sonic Direct sorted out your X9005A issue to your satisfaction.
Looking forward to hearing what you think when you get your new TV, especially as to how the new fluid magnetic fluid speakers sound and if they are an improvement on the 2013 model.

I haven't made the purchase yet. Basically SonicDirect won't let me speak to them about a refund or exchange until I've got Sony technical support to confirm that its faulty and give me a case reference number. Once I've got that case reference number and the TV has been confirmed faulty, they will then speak to me about a returning the TV but I have no idea if they would let me exchange for the new 2014 model seeing that I've had two of the 2013 models in the space of two weeks and they might be funny with me. What I do know for certain is that they will have two choices, either be giving me a full refund or an exchange to the 2014 model.

Just a shame that Sony's technical support is closed during weekends so I won't be able to sort this out until Tuesday

Just noticed that the new TV is roughly two inches wider than the 2013 model... this is going to make it harder for the ol' lady...

I haven't made the purchase yet. Basically SonicDirect won't let me speak to them about a refund or exchange until I've got Sony technical support to confirm that its faulty and give me a case reference number. Once I've got that case reference number and the TV has been confirmed faulty, they will then speak to me about a returning the TV but I have no idea if they would let me exchange for the new 2014 model seeing that I've had two of the 2013 models in the space of two weeks and they might be funny with me. What I do know for certain is that they will have two choices, either be giving me a full refund or an exchange to the 2014 model.

Just a shame that Sony's technical support is closed during weekends so I won't be able to sort this out until Tuesday

It's a shame Sonicdirect are taking that stance especially considering you've only had your replacement 5 days and I thought it was the retailers responsibility to sort out issues anyway? Hope you don't get the run around from Sony and you get things sorted mate, perhaps if I'd known this was the stance Sonic were gonna take with you I'd have been more hesitant to order from them, manufacturers (well service centres) are notorious for claiming things are 'within spec' even when there's blatantly something wrong, keep us updated and good luck

Just my experience with sony! When lodging a fault they will send out a local service centre but if a fault is found (or not) and you do not allow the service centre to undertake the repair there will be a cost implication because they would be unable to invoice sony. Sony put sony first with regards to any customer service

Just my experience with sony! When lodging a fault they will send out a local service centre but if a fault is found (or not) and you do not allow the service centre to undertake the repair there will be a cost implication because they would be unable to invoice sony. Sony put sony first with regards to any customer service

I'm going to make sure that it doesn't go down that route. The TV shouldn't be going off for a repair after a few days of being new. SonicDirect never mentioned to me before that they would be carrying out a repair if someone was to visit, just a diagnostic.

The service centre who contacted me did state before hand the cost wasn't much to be honest something like £60 and to be fair why should they sort out the shit because the retailers and manufacturers can't be @rsed or willing to stand up

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Lalami1990, to be fair, I think Sonic Direct have taken the correct approach so far. They replaced your initial set, no questions asked, but need to investigate/confirmation from Sony that your second set is faulty also. Clearly from the pictures that you posted, that is indeed the case. I also fully understand that having had the TV only for 5 days, that it should be either replaced, or a refund given rather than sent to the repair centre.
As I mentioned earlier in another post, I live very local to Sonic Direct and therefore if their is a fault, their service team can come and have a look at confirm the fault. However if you live much further away, then all Sonic Direct can really do is get Sony through an approved service centre to confirm that the tv is faulty and then either a refund or exchange can be given.
I also see no reason why Sonic Direct would not allow you to exchange this faulty set for the new 65X9005B.
I have used Sonic Direct many times in the past and have always been pleased with their excellent customer service. They are a good bunch of people and the last thing they would want is for a customer to be unhappy.

Looking forward to first impressions....I had my heart set on the 2013 model and was going to take the plunge when it got to around 3K(65"), but now knowing the 2014 model is £3600, I cannot decide which to go for...a side by side comparison would be great...mainly interested in picture quality of upscaled 1080p...I am not a fan of 'streamed' films I like to 'own' my movies...so looking forward to 4k Blu-ray....so the built in HEVC decoder is not swaying me...

Hi lcd4ever, I have the 2013 55X9005A. I'm keen to know as to whether or not Sony have improved the picture and sound quality on the 2014 model, which I hope is the case, or is the new 2014 model a slight downgrade to the 2013 one. Let the reviews commence :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom