Sony KD AF8 OLED TV owners and discussion thread

Pre-ordered with Curry's about a week ago, but apart from an order confirmation, have heard nothing. Someone on here said Curry's are getting just 20 sets, but have 26 pre-ordered. So assuming I'm one of the over-20's, where else would be good to order from, stock-wise?

Pre-ordered with Curry's about a week ago, but apart from an order confirmation, have heard nothing. Someone on here said Curry's are getting just 20 sets, but have 26 pre-ordered. So assuming I'm one of the over-20's, where else would be good to order from, stock-wise?
On your order tracking does it now say this?
“First, a big thanks for your order.

We're currently processing your order, and it'll shortly be ready for dispatch. The planned delivery date for your order is Sun 29th April. You can check here on the day of your delivery to find out your estimated delivery time.”
https://trackit.teamknowhow.com

On your order tracking does it now say this?
“First, a big thanks for your order.

We're currently processing your order, and it'll shortly be ready for dispatch. The planned delivery date for your order is Sun 29th April. You can check here on the day of your delivery to find out your estimated delivery time.”
https://trackit.teamknowhow.com

Thanks for the link, I was trying this before but I was inputting my Curry's order number, not delivery number. Have now inputted my delivery number and have this "
Order in progress
First, a big thanks for your order.

We're currently processing your order, and it'll shortly be ready for dispatch. The planned delivery date for your order is Tue 1st May. You can check here on the day of your delivery to find out your estimated delivery time."

So not too bad, I thought being outside the 1st 20 would mean a much longer wait.

Currys changed my delivery to tomorrow so I should have some feedback soon after

Can anyone confirm that this sits at a slight backward tilt? Any review or previews are saying it's "upright" but all press shots look to me like it' sitting back at maybe 1 or 2 degrees...?
Sony will fix this via a future firmware update, read the footnotes on the site.

This is barely noticeable by the way, don't worry about it, it's not A1 angle

Okay guys, I am after your advice again...when I get my AF8 it will be my first ever OLED. What do I do to test the TV for any potential issues? I have seen something about running a white screen to look for yellow tints. How do I do this and are there other simple things I should be doing/looking for? I’m probably still a week or so away from getting it delivered, but want to be prepared. Many thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Just watch telly, football, golf and Netflix etc. Enjoy it and don't look for stuff you'll never see watching normal everyday programmes.

Just watch telly, football, golf and Netflix etc. Enjoy it and don't look for stuff you'll never see watching normal everyday programmes.

Ha ha, good advice I’m sure. I just want to make sure that if there are any issues or irregularities with the tv I find them ASAP and don’t get stuck with a lemon. I’ve seen a few posts where people have decided to “live with the issue as it’s not that bad”, only to be told by others that they have had similar and had the tv replaced. At this sort of money we need to be sure we are getting what we pay for. I
Just want know if there are any simple things I can check for to feel confident. But I agree with what you say about just use it and enjoy it too.

Currys changed my delivery to tomorrow so I should have some feedback soon after

Same here, mine's now arriving this Thursday . BTW, John Lewis has terrible service, spent many days just getting confirmation that they will be stocking it. Many messages and tweets with very few results. Wouldn't be surprised if they are the next High St casualty.

Same Mediatek MT5891 SoC

Screenshot 2018-04-24 10.56.28.png
Screenshot 2018-04-24 10.52.15.png
Screenshot 2018-04-24 10.52.55.png
Screenshot 2018-04-24 10.53.04.png
Screenshot 2018-04-24 10.55.12.png
Screenshot 2018-04-24 10.53.44.png

Well it’s here and wow, the bad first do they still have tint yes they do, this time it’s on the right had edge of the screen and it’s not as bad as as my E7, the OS is so slow, it’s a good job I won’t be using it.
now the good, the uniformity is excellent and I mean excellent sell the pics below with no cycles. The motion and scaling much better in my eyes than the LG but everyone’s preference will be different. At this minute in time I’m happy and even the tough scenes in mind hunter look good

The only thing I can’t work out at the minute is my black bars are gray SORTED
1EE9E436-D34D-41B0-9304-BB545643CF6E.jpeg

Last edited:
LG motion wasn't an issue for me before
But lately I find it bothers me more and more
So I'm interested in your opinion on motion comparison between the two.

I'm not in the market until possibly next year but you never know LOL!

LG motion wasn't an issue for me before
But lately I find it bothers me more and more
So I'm interested in your opinion on motion comparison between the two.

I'm not in the market until possibly next year but you never know LOL!
It’s I have never been bothered by LGs motion but my Sony upstairs has shown me how much better it can be

Woppy I know the OS is slow but how is it when you say press the Netflix button and play something off Netflix? Does it buffer a lot or does it play within a second or two like on the LG?

Congrats BTW I hope it’s a keeper. My TV has just been collected and I miss it already lol. Roll on Friday.

Woppy I know the OS is slow but how is it when you say press the Netflix button and play something off Netflix? Does it buffer a lot or does it play within a second or two like on the LG?

Congrats BTW I hope it’s a keeper. My TV has just been collected and I miss it already lol. Roll on Friday.
I don’t know mate because I use Apple TV, even a blind man can see there is not enough system memory to run the apps, why have you sent yours back ?

The uniformity is excellent, it has got tint I won’t lie, but I’m sure Steve kemp will get rid of some of that when he comes to calibrate it

I don’t know mate because I use Apple TV, even a blind man can see there is not enough system memory to run the apps, why have you sent yours back ?

No I mean my C6 has just been collected/sold. I’m getting my AF8 on Friday.

How about the brightness Woppy? Is it plenty bright enough in both SDR and HDR.

Looking good hopefully even better after a cycle. Shame about the tint.
Yeah don’t get me wrong I would prefer it not to be there but find it much easier to put up with than banding/sharp edges, as as I said I’m sure Steve will be able to reduce it a little

Yeah don’t get me wrong I would prefer it not to be there but find it much easier to put up with than banding/sharp edges, as as I said I’m sure Steve will be able to reduce it a little

Yea hopefully he can sort it. Hopefully banding doesnt look too bad when it gets dark. You will just have to ignore the OS it aint the best. What do you think of the image ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom