Sony KD-75XD9405 Best TV Picture Settings

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Steve Withers, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,469
    2. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,066
      Steve, I'm interested that you set the contrast to 90, both myself and essoman have had our tv's calibrated by Canary Jules and had the contrast set to 100 and Jules did put the pattern up and showed why it was ok to set it to 100 and that it wasn't clipping at that level, I highly doubt we've got sets that don't clip above 90 but you have so it's a bit of a mystery that one to be honest. Can you just explain a little more why you felt 90 was the highest (best) setting as Jules explained that by setting it to 100 you get the best contrast ratio and there was no reason not to set it to 100 as far as he could tell. Presumably there's a test clip we could use to check whether ours is clipping with it set to 100 but if Jules set it to that I'd be surprised if it was..
      Also, film mode, what does that do because Jules switched it off whereas I notice you've left it on high? Cheers

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    3. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,066
      I assume this is the pattern to use for setting contrast so what an I looking for exactly? With contrast on 100 237 white is barely flashing, everything above that is just white. Would I be correct in thinking that I need up to 241 flashing?
      uploadfromtaptalk1467746237788.jpg

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,066
      Or is it this pattern and if so how do I know it's too high?
      uploadfromtaptalk1467746495476.jpg
      On this pattern with contrast on 90 everything up to about 252 flashes, on contrast 100 only up to 242 flashes

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,066
      Anyone? Ta

6. dlj11

dlj11

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +41
      In theory the highest number that have to flash is 235 so you dont clip anything - cause the range is from 16-235. But if the values above 235 are flashing also, it is OK cause most displays are capable of showing details above white. The first pattern is the APL Contrast/Brightness Pattern, the second one only contrast. So if on both of them 235 is flashing, contrast is set right (for now) - BUT you must also look for discoloration in the different shades of white. Sometimes the higher values have some discoloration in them (pinkish, blueish...) The goal is that all values are a shade of grey, so with no discoloration in them. If some highlights are discoloured - reduce contrast until the bars are free of any unwanted tinting, there should be no other color than grey and white.

7. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,469
      Although video levels technically go from 16-235, you can get get detail up to 255. So that's why I set the contrast control to ensure that the display shows as high as it will go, which is usually up to 255.

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,066
      Hmmm I wonder why it was set to 100 on mine then cos you can definitely see on the avshd pattern that it's clipping from about 242 upwards on that setting, well I guess I'll just set it to 90 then, suspect it won't make a great deal of difference at the end of the day but it would be daft not to change it really. Thanks for the feedback

9. dlj11

dlj11

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +41
      But no need for change if you dont have discoloration.... I think 242 upwards is good, enough headroom above 235. If your display is calibrated I wouldn´t change contrast cause it COULD mess up the calibration... Not sure how it behaves on theese sony-displays.

10. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,469
      Yes Andy, as the poster above has stated, there's no need to change the contrast setting, especially as Jules has calibrated the XD94. You have enough headroom, there's no discolouration and you won't be able to see any difference.