Sony KD-65X9005A owners,hows the p.q. on hd and sd?

silverback1

Just after some first hand info on the picture quality of the 4k Sony,have seen it displaying 4k feed and it looks awesome but very interested to hear from any forum members that have purchased and there thoughts on picture quality using normal feeds ie. bluray,sky hd and sd.

Torn between this set or picking up one of the last Panasonic VT65's,it wasnt on my radar untill the current price drop,now it's clouding my judgement..to 4k or not to 4k ....my thought's at present are to go for the plasma they in a few years look to change to 4k when there is more content available but still tempted...decisions,decisions..:confused:

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Just after some first hand info on the picture quality of the 4k Sony,have seen it displaying 4k feed and it looks awesome but very interested to hear from any forum members that have purchased and there thoughts on picture quality using normal feeds ie. bluray,sky hd and sd.

Torn between this set or picking up one of the last Panasonic VT65's,it wasnt on my radar untill the current price drop,now it's clouding my judgement..to 4k or not to 4k ....my thought's at present are to go for the plasma they in a few years look to change to 4k when there is more content available but still tempted...decisions,decisions..:confused:
Fantastic TV it really is, it would take me a nanosecond to choose between this and the VT65 and this would win every time. I'm done with DFC and line bleed and IR (and yes they all affect the VT65). The 65" is just incredible especially for 3D which is full HD passive and the impact with a screen that size is just immense :) The sound on this TV is out of this world as well, far far superior to the VT65. About the only thing I can think of that the VT65 does better is blacks, apart from that the X9005A walks all over it IMO. I'm not even bothered I can't really watch any 4k content at the moment , I'd have paid £2999 for it anyway, the fact there's untapped potential there to be wowed by in the coming months / years is just the icing on the cake IMO. There is no way I would buy a 1080p TV right now and I know everyone says what's the point of buying a 4k TV now when there's no content, well what's the point of buying a 1080p TV now when there shortly will be 4k content, there's not much you'd be able to do about it if you'd bought a 1080p TV is there but with a 4k TV you're ready and let's face it the way prices have come down there's not the same premium there used to be so it's a win win for us :)

silverback1

Hi zAndy1,

Thanks for the reply,have to admit when I first saw the Sony it looked very impressive,currently using a Pioneer 436 which still delivers a pretty descent pq despite it's age and use.

With the price on offer at the moment I'm very tempted, have had a few Sony set's over the years and really enjoyed the pq they produced.Moved to Pioneer when Sony lost there way abit.

One issue that I noticed mentioned was mounting the screen above a certain height may compromise pq (viewing angle on the vertical so to speak) our screen sits above the mock fireplace, bottom edge about 4' from the floor and viewing distance is between 14'-15' hope this wont be an issue,any idea's.

I think this set is the main reason I havent purchased another plasma,your insight is a big help.:)

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Hi zAndy1,

Thanks for the reply,have to admit when I first saw the Sony it looked very impressive,currently using a Pioneer 436 which still delivers a pretty descent pq despite it's age and use.

With the price on offer at the moment I'm very tempted, have had a few Sony set's over the years and really enjoyed the pq they produced.Moved to Pioneer when Sony lost there way abit.

One issue that I noticed mentioned was mounting the screen above a certain height may compromise pq (viewing angle on the vertical so to speak) our screen sits above the mock fireplace, bottom edge about 4' from the floor and viewing distance is between 14'-15' hope this wont be an issue,any idea's.

I think this set is the main reason I havent purchased another plasma,your insight is a big help.:)
Hi,
Not too sure on the screen height thing but that does sound quite high. Ideally you want your eye level at the centre of the screen otherwise you can get crosstalk, put it this way the bottom of mine is about 2ft off the floor and with that my eyes when sat on the sofa are about central on the TV, it might help if you had a wall mount you could tilt but not sure how much tbh

silverback1

Hi zAndy1,

After a long demo decided on the X9005A,delivery is looking like Tuesday so clearing a space for her,not an easy task as the old screen is fitted flush into the wall but we got there in the end,couple of bolts to undue and the Pioneer will be out ,hopefully.
Have been looking a several wall brackets,the Titan slim line looks like it will do the job nicely and my local screwfix are showing stock so will try and pick one up tomorrow evening after work.
Fingers crossed everything will go smoothly :smashin:.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom