Sony KD-65X8505C 4K Ultra HD TV Review & Comments

Only HDMI's 2 and 3 take a UHD input?
I was led to believe all four were capable?

Also, (Don't like to sound like I'm nitpicking), the TV button on the remote can be set to go to any input with one press, not really an Exit button, but works the same as.

Thank you for the review.
There are for the KD-65X8505C reviewer's recommended best settings,DCI P3 coverage?

I tried the settings from the review on my 55x8509c tonight and they were very good except for the brightness as it was just way too bright. I enabled the light sensor and it brought it down nicely.

Also, (Don't like to sound like I'm nitpicking), the TV button on the remote can be set to go to any input with one press, not really an Exit button, but works the same as.

I do know that but I really wouldn't class that as a proper Exit button. I use menus on all the sources so that strategy isn't go to work for me.

Only HDMI's 2 and 3 take a UHD input?
I was led to believe all four were capable?

That's what the specs from their website indicate but I've just checked and it will accept a UHD signal on the other two as well. Perhaps they mean only 2 and 3 are HDMI 2.0(a) compatible. Let me check with them

I'll update the review in the meantime, thanks!

Hi Mark
I have 55X8509C and found that the out of the box cinema pro picture preset gave a high tendency to reds which made faces on Sky HD look very tanned. Did you notice this effect?

Hi Fred

No, it was pretty accurate out of the box with no glaring issues like that.

Thanks Mark. Would that suggest I may have a faulty panel maybe? I have adjusted my settings in line with your review model and the reds are toned down to an acceptable level but I do still have concerns about the presets.

it doesn't sound like a fault, you wouldn't expect them all to behave the same. Try notching the colour control by 1, maybe 2.

Thanks for the review,
I recently put up the 65x8509 and what Iv'e noticed is viewed directly head on from 8 or even upto 16 ft the picture is really good, even s/d is better than I expected, but as soon as I move to one side even 4/5 ft the colour saturation goes and the picture looks washed out, is this normal for an led TV, bearing in mind I'm coming from. A 50" vt20 Panasonic..
Mike

It's normal for a VA panel which these sonys are. IPS panels have a better viewing angle at the expense of contrast/black level.

It's normal for a VA panel which these sonys are. IPS panels have a better viewing angle at the expense of contrast/black level.
Shame,
When I viewed the panel a few months ago I was well impressed with the viewing angles, mind you that was with a 4 k demo. Are their any settings I can change to make this better ?.

Hi Mark, thank you for the review. The question on my mind is, though it is early days, do you think the future inclusion of HDR on this Sony makes it a more appealing set than the JU6400 in this price bracket?

Hi James

Yes, I think I probably do with the caveat that I've yet to experience any HDR in the home. That moment is soon to come hopefully!

You seriously need to revisit this review. Android is still a big mess, half of the features are STILL missing almost 6 months since it launched and there has been posts all over the internet about side blooming on the 65" and over all general quality control of these sets. Amazon still does not have 5.1 sound and neither do half the other apps.

It took me 5 exchanges before I received one without bright spots across the screen and severe light bleed in left and right hand corner of my 55". Not to mention the horrendous Sony customer service!

Look here for just a small list of bugs CountrySelector - Sony

I have red other review about this TV, and also asked several stores. They all said that the Sony 65X8505C is based on a 8-bit panel. But in your review it's listed as a 10-bit panel. Are you 100 percent sure this is correct?

Question 2: This TV does support HDR after an update. But in one review (www.Flatpanelshd.com), they say that HDR cannot be achieved without local dimming, and this model doesn't have that. Could you please tell me more about this?

Thanks.

As I am a Sonos Playbar user I wanted to ensure this TV would pass DTS as 5.1 via the Optical. Had an email from Sony confirming they did so ordered one for less than 1600 GBP which I think is a great price. Looking forward to it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom