Sony KD-65A1 price drop

Pindi

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the market for a 65" OLED and was thinking about the new LG C8 or Sony AF8 models due to come out soon. But, my understanding was that the Sony KD-65A1 was to remain their top dog without an update.

If that's the case, why the price drop to £3300 in Selfridges? Am I wrong in thinking there's not an update coming? If it is indeed going to remain number 1, I'd rather just go pick it up now and not even wait for the new lines of LGs.

Thanks

The a1 was successful but design was polemic.
Releasing the AF8 now is to correct that alongside a price positioning
The A1 will remain top dog until the A2 with new ultimate processor is released between June and sept show.

That’s the real battle plan and you will see the a1 probably discontinued

Who told me? Nobody. Just learning from recent announcements and the recent strategy by Sony....

So unless you are in a hurry, I will wait for C8 or AF8 as simply should be cheaper especially LG. Secondly, big big probability that new LG processor closed the processing gap. With LG, you are buying a more future proof tv with latest processor while Sony is not (doesn’t make it bad but lot less future proof).

English isn't his first language. I think he meant polarising.
Ah right. Because it is angled slightly upwards I suppose. I have mine angled slightly downwards with a wall mount. I doubt anybody apart from forum frequenters notices either way.

Ah right. Because it is angled slightly upwards I suppose. I have mine angled slightly downwards with a wall mount. I doubt anybody apart from forum frequenters notices either way.

Yeah a lot of people on here took against it because of the lean. Personally, I love the design of the A1 in all it's monolithic glory.

Yeah a lot of people on here took against it because of the lean. Personally, I love the design of the A1 in all it's monolithic glory.
Monolithic glory, like it. I am very impressed with the design too. Essentially disappears from the front and back, only visible in profile. It would be slimmer without the subwoofer on the back, although before installing my speakers I did appreciate it.

The design was polemic?!

Origin and Etymology of polemic
French polémique, from Middle French, from polemique controversial, from Greek polemikos warlike, hostile, from polemos war; perhaps akin to Greek pelemizein to shake, Old English ealfelobaleful

Origin and Etymology of polemic
French polémique, from Middle French, from polemique controversial, from Greek polemikos warlike, hostile, from polemos war; perhaps akin to Greek pelemizein to shake, Old English ealfelobaleful
Might be how you use it in Middle French but in English it is used to denote a verbal or written attack on someone or something.

Like marmite, you love or hate it.
However, from Sony rep directly, new mode cheaper to make, easier to wall mount and just straight...
Like I said, the a1 will probably disappear by end of this year :)

Might be how you use it in Middle French but in English it is used to denote a verbal or written attack on someone or something.

Fully agree, didn’t use it properly and thanks to you, I learned the exact definition
IN France, polemic applies to people or something as long as there is a strong divergent reactions from two sides. Not in English apparently

Last edited:
The a1 was successful but design was polemic.
Releasing the AF8 now is to correct that alongside a price positioning
The A1 will remain top dog until the A2 with new ultimate processor is released between June and sept show.

That’s the real battle plan and you will see the a1 probably discontinued

Who told me? Nobody. Just learning from recent announcements and the recent strategy by Sony....

So unless you are in a hurry, I will wait for C8 or AF8 as simply should be cheaper especially LG. Secondly, big big probability that new LG processor closed the processing gap. With LG, you are buying a more future proof tv with latest processor while Sony is not (doesn’t make it bad but lot less future proof).
Thanks. Personally, I could wait but the reason I'm getting a new TV is that john Lewis is refunding my current one due to banding issues and I'm not sure if they'd be happy to keep the offer of a refund going for months.

Thanks. Personally, I could wait but the reason I'm getting a new TV is that john Lewis is refunding my current one due to banding issues and I'm not sure if they'd be happy to keep the offer of a refund going for months.
The c8 should be available end of March or beginning of April. Don’t see why the refund has a time limit as it is money after all ?

The c8 should be available end of March or beginning of April. Don’t see why the refund has a time limit as it is money after all ?
It shouldn't have a time limit but I genuinely don't know, I just need to give them a call and see what's what.

From what I'm hearing, the AF8 is a somewhat paired down version of the A1 yet the rumours are it'll have a price the same as the A1 when it was released. VeBe the question, who would go for the AF8 over the A1?

Well, according to flatpanels the A1 will not be replaced this year by the A2 and will continue into 2018. The AF8 will, and has been price revealed, to be more expensive at launch to the A1, after the A1 has seen price reductions. The AF8 has the same internals as the A1 and so should either be exactly the same or slightly tweaked in performance. There are some hands-on reviews of the AF8 which as of yet say they're the same in PQ as the A1. It's looking like design may in fact be the only significant difference, save a few hundred pounds.

The alpha 9 chip in the new LG C8 and upwards is much more capable than the xtreme processor in the Sony TV's. Colour gradation and picture processing should be improved over the Sony oled according to the people in the know /folks that saw them at CES.

The alpha 9 chip in the new LG C8 and upwards is much more capable than the xtreme processor in the Sony TV's. Colour gradation and picture processing should be improved over the Sony oled according to the people in the know /folks that saw them at CES.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if there's motion improvement too along with the AI of the new chip to enhance PQ of lessor media - which is something some buyers of the Sony bought for also.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom