Sony KD-55X9005A Reviewer's Recommended Best Settings

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by hodg100, Feb 3, 2014.

1. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
      Disclaimer: The settings below are supplied for information purposes only. We make no guarantee that using the adjustments below will improve your TV's picture, they may even make it look worse. Every TV, even from the same manufacturer and model number will vary, as will the environment the TV is used in. For further information on how to set up your TV, please follow the steps in our Picture Perfect campaign.

To find a professional calibrator near you, see our Custom Installer and Calibrator Directory.

You can read the review here: Sony 55X9005 Review

Column 1 Column 2
      0 Scene Select: Cinema
      1 Picture Mode: Cinema 1
      2 Backlight: 5 (Make sure you turn the Light Sensor off in System Settings/Eco)
      3 Contrast: 88
      4 Brightness: 50
      5 Colour: 50
      6 Hue: 0
      7 Colour Temperature: Warm 2
      8 Sharpness: 50
      9 Noise Reduction: Off
      10 MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
      11 Dot Noise Reduction: Off
      12 Reality Creation: Manual
      13 Video Area Detection: Off
      14 Resolution: 20
      15 Smooth Gradation: Low
      16 Motionflow: Off/True Cinema
      17 Film Mode: Auto
      18 Advanced Settings
      19 Black Corrector: Off
      20 Advanced Contrast Enhancer: Low
      21 Gamma: -1
      22 LED Dynamic Control: Standard
      23 Auto Light Limiter: Off
      24 Clear White: Off
      25 Live Colour: Off
      26 White Balance: Red Gain -7, Green Gain -1, Blue Gain 0, Red Bias 0, Green Bias +1, Blue Bias -1
      27 Detail Enhancer: Off
      28 Edge Enhancer: Off
      29 Skin Naturaliser: Off

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    2. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,811
      Excellent stuff, thanks Mark. My backlight is down at 2 and contrast at 90, which delivers 127 cdm/2 at 100% brightness, but I keep my sharpness at 50. Having checked several patterns on Spears and Munsil 2nd edition, anything lower than that in 2D softened the picture quite a bit, though I keep it at 20 when in 3D to soften the aliasing. Also, I keep the Reality Creation Resolution slider at 8, because anything higher caused noticeable artefacts in certain test screens, like the 24p Image Scaling pattern.

It's also worth setting Mastered in 4K to On if you're using the Reality Creation (though it'll only work with a 1080p24 source) because otherwise the set can't properly pass a single-pixel checkerboard, i.e. the very finest 1080p details are filtered out with it set to Off. (Credit for that one goes to the hdtvtest review.)

I prefer a gamma of 2.2, so keeping gamma at 0 is perfect for that. 2.4 is indeed a bit too dark for a brighter room, but I never really thought about trying at 2.3 so I might give that a whirl.

Your white balance settings are quite a bit different from mine, but I'll dial them in and give the set another calibration and see what I come up with.

Thanks again!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    3. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
      Hi Geoff

Is yours a 55 or 65? I put the BL up a bit to take account of the fact that intra-frame contrast is not quite impressive as the on/off

Sharpness is at 50, that was a typo - you're quite right!

Yeah I noticed that with the RC/mastered in 4K settings with patterns but real world is a different matter and, to be honest, I keep playing with it depending on what I'm watching so it's not really a 'final' setting, as it were

Cheers

Mark

4. NickInWiltshire

NickInWiltshire

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      If you allow them a +/- 1 error, then the only adjustment of note that you needed for the white balance was "Red Gain -7". As you noted the CMS cannot be changed but is very accurate anyway. So it would seem that these panels are very consistent. I wonder whether the Triluminos system is part of the reason. With very accurate, narrow frequency bands for each of R,G,B perhaps it is easier to get a clean CMS. Of course this is just idle speculation. As for the greyscale, I wonder why the red was so far out; it almost seems out of place amongst such accuracy everywhere else.

NB: you've actually linked to the review for the 65" which seems to be even more accurate out of the box.

5. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
      Except it doesn't often work out like that Nick and you can use the WB controls to alter gamma - at least a little.

I've no idea how that link was wrong but thanks for the heads up :)

6. Geoff_D

Geoff_D
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,811
      You're right about the RC settings, with real world content it's not typically gonna show the same sorts of artefacts as with the test patterns. But I don't like to keep fiddling with the settings for whatever source I'm watching, so I keep Resolution at 8 with Mi4K On because it smoothes out random high frequency noise without compromising detail or adding any unwanted smearing.

I've seen a few Blu-rays lately that look every inch like noisy, jittery old transfers (like Twilight Time's Zulu and Shout!'s Raise the Titanic), but with the RC on they instantly become cleaner and more stable, because the layer of noise that contains the flickering has been removed. This level of precision is quite unlike any noise reduction I've seen before. IMO this TV has a very, very clever processing engine inside it.

I've got the 55", by the way.

7. hodg100

hodg100
      Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,460
      I don't like it either but somehow I feel compelled to do so - it's a disease and I admire your fortitude!

Agreed!