Sony KD-55AF9 (AF9/A9F) OLED TV Review & Comments

I had always assumed Sony decided to go with DV a few days before CES’17 and surprised many including their engineers :) that was the reason for their lite version.
This isn’t factual but that’s the impression I got.

Well, they’ve had a lot of time since but still their DV remains the same.

Superb review and confirms how good this set is. However, and I am going to surprise many including Phil. I don’t believe this set deserves a 9 until Sony sort the DV issue.
This half backed DV implementation should be called out. Sony is being lazy and can do full blown dv with latest SOC.
If LG can do it, so can Sony and they bl**dy should at this price!!!

About pricing at the Weekend the AF9 65 inch was £3499 and the 55 inch £2599 but not from Crapton and Moore..wish i had submitted a PM with JL now .

Full price at JL

Thought long and hard about waiting for this or going for the Panasonic FZ802. In the end I opted for the latter and am glad I did. For the extra £1000+ I would be hoping that the AF9 blows the Panny and other associated sets out of the water. I am not doubting it is a fabulous set - just not fabulous enough to warrant that kind of hike in price.

I owned a LG B7 and the DV was not good it was dark just like the Sony, it was one of the earlier TV to have DV and there where some issues. i now own a LGC8 and the DV is very impressive indeed. A huge improvement so it can be sorted out. I am sure Sony will fix this it was just surprising that Sony got it wrong in the first place. It's not only Sony's reputation on the line its its Dolby so i have no doubt they are both working on a fix. But saying all that Sony's' own tone mapping is so impressive it makes up for it

That means Sony have got it wrong with successive TV’s. And the points you make don’t address what I said.

I moved to an LG C7 when my B6 went, and there was a big improvement there. The C8 is nowhere near the same step up

Superb review and confirms how good this set is. However, and I am going to surprise many including Phil. I don’t believe this set deserves a 9 until Sony sort the DV issue.
This half backed DV implementation should be called out. Sony is being lazy and can do full blown dv with latest SOC.
Being able to compare on Netflix on a B6 with DV with a 802 HDR10 i would be perfectly happy with HDR if DV were not available very little if any noticeable difference a tad brighter , hardly a deal breaker.

But if the A9F is supposed to have DV on board it should be able implement it fully.

That means Sony have got it wrong with successive TV’s. And the points you make don’t address what I said.

I moved to an LG C7 when my B6 went, and there was a big improvement there. The C8 is nowhere near the same step up
I disagree the C8 is a big Improvement over the B7 its clear to see having had both, do you own a C8?

DV aside, I really glad to read they have sorted out the sluggish OS.
I’m not buying for a few years but that’s what ruled out the Sony for me when purchasing last year.
If it’s as nippy as WebOs that’s a big improvement. Os didn’t really matter 5 years ago, but it’s a major factor (at least for me) now, the tv is now the hub, you have to be able to quickly navigate and jump in and out of apps.

Your right but the Q9 didn’t deserve the score it got because it couldn’t be calibrated to reference level because of the over bright EOTF but they never changed that score, so I say leave it as is

I disagree the C8 is a big Improvement over the B7 its clear to see having had both, do you own a C8?
This^^ the C8 is a massive improvement over the B/C7 the new A9 processor alone is worth the upgrade never mind the better screen uniformity

Your right but the Q9 didn’t deserve the score it got because it couldn’t be calibrated to reference level because of the over bright EOTF but they never changed that score, so I say leave it as is
Agreed sir. I didn’t expect the score to change. I think Phil and this site can take a suggestion for improvement.
Manufacturer should be penalised when they are lazy or doesn’t deliver the spec.
I believe flatpanelhd penalise them when they don’t upgrade OS for old models...or they don’t follow an EOTF curve like sammy...
Same should apply for features...

Not starting a revolution but that’s food for thoughts...point closed.

Dolby Vision lite, No HDR on Youtube, £2999. You can get a C8 LG 65" for less or a LG C8 55" with a good sound bar and still have plenty of change left.

Thought long and hard about waiting for this or going for the Panasonic FZ802. In the end I opted for the latter and am glad I did. For the extra £1000+ I would be hoping that the AF9 blows the Panny and other associated sets out of the water. I am not doubting it is a fabulous set - just not fabulous enough to warrant that kind of hike in price.

This is my current dilemma, I do have a price match on the AF9 for £2,599 and the Pana I think will drop to £1.4-1.5k during BF sales

Might seem a silly question but here goes. Why have a stand that tilts at all? I cannot see it offers any advantages.
Agree, I thinks its a sales thing, its different (unique) - that's it (edit although it does allow to have a sizeable sub that most TVs lack I guess)

Last edited:
Im still trying to work out how you wall mount it with the stand on.
Im guessing it folds into the back of the screen but by how much

Power Direct have £300 off the 65/55 inch AF9.

Dolby Vision lite, No HDR on Youtube, £2999. You can get a C8 LG 65" for less or a LG C8 55" with a good sound bar and still have plenty of change left.
You can, but say you are the 1 in 4 (maybe more, source had one, and other owners) who gets a duff one that has Uniformity/tint issues it is far from a cake walk now to return.. the A9F seems by the owners comments to be issue free albeit the 2 you mentioned ... meaning uniformity/tint issues free.. i myself can live with no HDR on youtube and DV lite not idea , but doable .

Vincent talked about the DV and hoped for a firmware fix.

Quote from another forum:

"If you raise the gamma in DV PM to +2 it will look identical to the LG DV.
Netflix content looks great
smile.gif
"

Pretty sure this is what Vincent the tv reeeroooer and carribrator was saying..

This^^ the C8 is a massive improvement over the B/C7 the new A9 processor alone is worth the upgrade never mind the better screen uniformity

Na man, the black frame insertion is unusable, smooth gradation is useless as it's tied with detail stripping NR, HFR is USB only, brightness is very similar (depends on panel) my B7 uniformity is superb, so the only two things the 8's have over the 7's is DTM for gaming, and possibly near black handling, but in no way massive by any means.

6-7 far bigger jump.

Vincent Teoh of HDTVTest found the autocal feature to introduce posterization as well so probably best to mention that to whoever will be calibrating your TV
That didn't stop folks getting LG C8's auto-caled, which I found totally ridiculous and that a calibration expert constantly said it was working fine, despite it being known that that was in fact incorrect. Last time I checked it still wasn't working properly but that was a while ago now.

Vincent talked about the DV and hoped for a firmware fix.

Quote from another forum:

"If you raise the gamma in DV PM to +2 it will look identical to the LG DV.
Netflix content looks great
smile.gif
"

Pretty sure this is what Vincent the tv reeeroooer and carribrator was saying..
I blame yourself, from the AF9 not being on my radar .. to being my next tv , why did i not submit that PM over the weekend ... also it would have to be a 55inch portable , with a new viewing distance of 12 inches.:D

This is my current dilemma, I do have a price match on the AF9 for £2,599 and the Pana I think will drop to £1.4-1.5k during BF sales

If you are not bothered by DV and you have seperate speakers to carry out audio duties, the Panasonic is a no brainer IMO. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom