Sony kd-48a9….. freesat…..sky dish….help!!

Yorkshiredub

Standard Member
Is it possible to get full free to air channels in uk with a pre installed sky dish into my kd-48a9?? I have tried and am just getting a load of random channels…. No bbc channel 4 etc…

Have just cancelled sky q and would like to go free view for a while.

thanks

jamie

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Is it possible to get full free to air channels in uk with a pre installed sky dish into my kd-48a9?? I have tried and am just getting a load of random channels…. No bbc channel 4 etc…

Have just cancelled sky q and would like to go free view for a while.

thanks

jamie

I don't think it's possible unless you have a freeview box. Otherwise you need an aerial to get the freeview channels directly via a smart TV.

chipray

The satellite tuners in all 4 of my Sony smart TVs have been excellent. The one in my current 55AG9 is better in stormy weather than all the other tuners I have, including a Sky HD box, a Humax Freesat HDR and a Technomate. Sky Q is the clue to the problem here, I believe they use a different LNB. Change to a Universal type LNB and all should be well, but get a professional to fit and test it.

Once you have all the channels tuned, the channel list can be edited and the unwanted ones deleted. Channel numbers 1 to 100 are empty after tuning but can be used so they are the ones I use, 90 for TV and 10 for radio. Sometimes the TV will tune new channels by itself, but they will always appear from No.101 onwards so can be easily spotted and edited.

The EPG is a major disappointment for those used to Sky or Freesat EPGs, in that you only get "now and next" information for channels as you tune to them (or channels on the same transponder) so best to have an app for that on your phone :p

Yorkshiredub

Standard Member
The satellite tuners in all 4 of my Sony smart TVs have been excellent. The one in my current 55AG9 is better in stormy weather than all the other tuners I have, including a Sky HD box, a Humax Freesat HDR and a Technomate. Sky Q is the clue to the problem here, I believe they use a different LNB. Change to a Universal type LNB and all should be well, but get a professional to fit and test it.

Once you have all the channels tuned, the channel list can be edited and the unwanted ones deleted. Channel numbers 1 to 100 are empty after tuning but can be used so they are the ones I use, 90 for TV and 10 for radio. Sometimes the TV will tune new channels by itself, but they will always appear from No.101 onwards so can be easily spotted and edited.

The EPG is a major disappointment for those used to Sky or Freesat EPGs, in that you only get "now and next" information for channels as you tune to them (or channels on the same transponder) so best to have an app for that on your phone :p
I took your advice and ordered a different LNB for the dish…. Bingo!

thanks for the advice, top man!

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom