1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KD-32DX200U:- RGB woes!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Simon6776, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Just exchanged a new Panny, which suffered from an unacceptable, and irrepairable RGB shift (2 inches to the right!), for a Sony KD-32DX200U, and, for some reason, I now don't seem to be able to get RGB. I feel sure I'm doing something stupid, but I connected the set with exactly the same scart configurations as before. The picture seems fine, but text is almost undreadable, and DVD menus look awful, as do the menus on my other Freeview box. Also, I do not get the RGB symbol displayed on the screen, when an EXT1 component is switched on. Apparently, it's supposed to be a square with three dots in it. I am just getting the square with the arrow pointing into it. When using DVD menus, or the menus on my Sony GX300 DVDR, I actually get clearer text if I set the components to output a 'video' signal, rather than RGB.

Can someone please help, as I don't want to look a fool by going back to the shop a second time, if this is 'user error'.

Many thanks.

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    On the back of the TV ""Apparently, it's supposed to be a square with three dots in it."" just next to the scart socket - if it is RGB then there should be a sqaure with three stars in it!!
    Not displayed on the TV screen.
    Nigel

3. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi, thanks for the reply,

So, is there no indication on screen that an RGB signal is being received? I am just going by the manual, where it says under Troubleshooting:-

Problem:- Poor picture quality
    Possible causes:- Wrong external mode selected for an RGB video source
    Solutions:- Press the [input] button repeatedly until the RGB symbol is displayed on screen.

Not having had a 100Mhz set before, is text usually blurred from an RGB source? :confused:

4. ventoboy1000

ventoboy1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon, I too have the KD32dx200.
    Both ext 1 & ext 2 have an RGB input, but as Nig says, the RGB symbol is not displayed on the screen.
    I have an NTL Digital Box connected to EXT 2. There is an option within the menu for the NTL Box to set it to output an RGB signal instead of composite.
    Do you have that option on your freeview box ?
    Also, there is a way to check on the tv as to whether an RGB signal is being received or not.
    In the menu system , there is an option for RGB Centring.
    If the RGB setting is on, you can access the RGB Centring option.
    If not, it is greyed out.
    With regards to the menu's or text not being clear, this model has DRC(Digital Reality Creation) MF processing. It can be set to 50hz or 100hz under the picture adjustment option.
    I have found, that when I set it to 100hz, fast scrolling text is not clear, but apparently this is a known problem with 100hz tv's I think.
    Hope this helps ! :thumbsup:

5. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks guys!

I feel sure that the set is receiving the RGB signals. I have checked the freeview box and the DVD, to make sure they are both outputting RGB, which they are, as they haven't been changed since the last TV, which did indicate receiving RGB.

I have now turned down the sharpness setting, which has made text a little clearer. The problem is not 'blurring' as I first posted, but more of a 'ghost' around the text. This may well be a symptom of 100Htz which, as I said, I have not used before. It may be just a case of getting used to this, but having paid £1100 for a TV, I expected it to be near perfect, when, in fact, the picture when using menus, EPGs, etc, is inferior to my previous 4 year old Panny PK1! It really looks more like a composite feed, which is what made me initally doubt that RGB was working, especially given there is no on screen indication, which seems a bit of a shortcoming to me.

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, a silly question really but I have to ask, although you are using the same scart configuration are you using 'old' scart leads and are you 100% sure that they are 'fully wired' and capable of carrying RGB signals ? Regards, yt

7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It's a perfectly reasonable question, and the answer is yes. I got RGB no problem with the Panny. One of my reasons for doubting the Sony is that it doesn't display on the screen, when receiving an RGB signal, but it has been confirmed above that it's not supposed to.