1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KD-32DX200 - switchable 50/100Hz

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Ozzy, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looking to buy this TV, but the bloke in the local Sony Centre said it doesn't switch between 50 and 100hz.

Downloaded a manual (albeit for the KD-32NX200U) and it states it can switch between 50 and 100 DRC.

Can someone confirm whether this TV can be switched between these frequencies and what exactly is DRC (if it's not the same things as 50 or 100Hz)?

Stefan

2. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    DRC= Digital Reality Creation. Sonys pic processing on this model. You can switch between ordinary 100hz, DRC100hrz, and DRC50hrz. I think DRC50 doubles horizontal AND vertical line where as DRC100 only doubles one(not sure which).
    If you do some searching you'll find some opinions....most people seem to prefer DRC50.
    I've had the set less than a week and so far I'm very pleased, and its getting better by the day. It shows up a poor quality source like a sore thumb..and I don't know if Sony has changed the software or weather its just personal preference, but I prefer DRC100. I can see the flicker on DRC50, not really bad, but easily noticeable, especially when switching between the 2.

3. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that.

What sources are you using on the new set? I'm planning on using the built-in Digital Freeview, but also running my Sky STB, a DVD Recorder and my XBOX.

I was going to get a Panny TV, but I loved the styling on the Sony. Couldn't tell much difference in picture quality, although the sets were in other stores.

Stefan

4. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Styling is very nice :smashin: I was concerned about the bulk of it, but it looks great in the corner.
    Freeview tuner is very good...better than Sky sometimes, although that could be down to my old digibox? DVD is superb LOTR as ref looks stunning :thumbsup:

Don't use an X-box I'm affraid so can't tell you anything there.

I'm still playing with settings but DRC100 is at the base. The other settings (DNR .contrast,brightness,sharpness etc) are interdependant. EG if you have Dig Noise Reduction on high, you can hardly add any sharpness because the pic starts to look really shimmery and processed...awful IMHO...especially on a naff source, but alot of this is down to personal preference and the individual set you end up with....in this day and age it seems no 2 are alike.