Sony KD-28DX200 mis-alignment problem

zx7r

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi experts,

I've attached some pictures of a problem my old man has with his TV (Sony KD-28DX200).

The Text blurb on DVDs and the EPG (?) menu have shifted over to the left slightly. :mad: :confused:

Is this a problem that can be solved by the use of a service menu option???

:lease: Please help/advise!!

Thanks.

I think this can be altered on the standard user menu.

If you access the setup menu

Then further manual setup, there should be an RGB adjustment facility.

The DVD player should be connected via scart lead to the AV1 socket on the tv.

You set the DVD to output in RGB mode, select the AV1 input on the tv, which should be RGB equipped, via the remote control, and then you can adjust the horizontal width of the picture and also the alignment to left or right.

Looks like the aspect ratio is set to 'zoom' or 'smart', no?

I have this TV too. If you cycle through the options, you get smart, zoom, wide, 14:9, 4:3.

You may need to turn off 'format correction' (but leave on 'auto format') in the AV setup for that scart as well.

I don't think there's a fault.

By the way, I just got one of these and I think it's excellent. Very happy with it.

Glenn2 said:
Looks like the aspect ratio is set to 'zoom' or 'smart', no?

I have this TV too. If you cycle through the options, you get smart, zoom, wide, 14:9, 4:3.

You may need to turn off 'format correction' (but leave on 'auto format') in the AV setup for that scart as well.

I don't think there's a fault.

By the way, I just got one of these and I think it's excellent. Very happy with it.

I believe the problem still exists in normal widescreen mode too.

If you have the same TV could you please confirm that the suggested options are available? I don't have access to the TV from where I am at the moment!

I'll let you know if it sorts the problem out.
Cheers.

TV still isn't fixed.

There is a RGB Setup option but it's greyed out so you cannot select it.

(All devices connected to the RBG scarts 1 & 2 are set to output an RGB signal).

Getting him to call Sony up.

Looking at the Sky EPG pic and the black screen with the white writing, I see that the text is stretched at the left and scrunched up at the right. The horizontal linearity is bananas. Add to the fact that other geometry problems exist I think there is definitely something wrong. The eeprom that holds the settings may have malfunctioned and reset them all or there may be another physical fault. I think you are right to get the Sony man in.

By the way, you can turn the remote into a service remote by doing the following:
Press the media selector so that the TV light lights up (not the DVD or VCR one) whilst it is lit, hold the yellow key until the light starts flashing. Repeatedly press '9' until all three lights come on. It is now a service remote. To reset it do the same with '0' instead.
When you press the VCR/DVD power button (top left) you see TT--.
Press menu and you get normal menus, press it again and you get service menus. When finished, press '0' twice (you see TT00) and it saves.

WRITE DOWN THE VALUE OF EVERY SETTING YOU CHANGE!!!!

***BUT*** if the Sony man is coming let him do it!

thanks for all of your help thus far.

My dad is taking the TV to a 'listed' Sony Sevice centre as it's still under warranty.

Once the problem is solved, I'll let you know what it was; for future reference.

Ta. :smashin:

Yes, please do!

As I said, I have one of these and couldn't be happier with it but should it go the same way I'd like to know what the problem was.

Toodle-pip.

zx7r said:
TV still isn't fixed.

There is a RGB Setup option but it's greyed out so you cannot select it.

(All devices connected to the RBG scarts 1 & 2 are set to output an RGB signal).

Getting him to call Sony up.

This has caught me out before.
You activate the item (Sky Digibox eg) that's connected to AV1 on the tv, call up the tv menu and find that the RGB setup option is greyed out.

Surprisingly, all you have to do is press the button under the power button on the remote control, ie the AV input select button. Then when you call up the RGB setup option, miraculously it's ungreyed and active.

Are you sure you can input RGB to AV1 and AV2 on the tv? Most Sony's have RGB to the black scart socket-AV1 and the other, red, scarts are not RGB enabled but are S-vhs etc.

okay, I'll get him to try that option.
(Scart sockets are all black. AV1 and AV2 are RGB compatible.)

Two things:
1) As I mentioned in a earlier post, the linearity looks totally wrong. Letters are wider on the left than they are on the right. Only service menu settings can fix this (if they have been wiped - if there's a physical component failure they won't help either).
2) If you look at the Sky EPG, the yellow blocks against the blue background show a chequered patterning at the edges. You are watching a composite signal (the RGB adjustments will definitely be greyed out in this case). The Sky boxes default to 'PAL' (composite) you need to change the setting on the box to RGB. ...but that's the least of your worries right now, just something to change when the set is fixed.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom