1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KD-28DX200 and KD-32DX200 discontinued

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by TinkerMan, Jul 20, 2005.

1. TinkerMan

TinkerMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After looking at many many CRT TVs my wife and I finally agreed on the Sony KD-28DX200 (she liked the looks, I liked the features!). I'm getting a new TV through the insurance (my sitting room ceiling collapsed on my old Sony :eek: ) and can only go through Empire Direct. They tell me that Sony have discontinued both the KD-28DX200 and the KD-32DX200 (our second choice) and that we can't have either.

Looks like I'm now going to have to wait to see what Sony offer as a replacement for their flagship CRT sets. Their website still shows the DX200s. Anyone know when Sony will announce the new models and when they might be available?

2. Noo

Noo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can fully understand what you're saying. I want the freeview offered by the dx200s and the 100Hz etc etc. Talking to a assistant in Currys tonight (they were doing the 32Dx200 for £799 online) he said Sony have no intention to replace the flagship models!!! They are progressing LCD and Plasma development above all else. Not sure how true that is...

I have sourced serveral 32dx200s around the country, all over £1000 but have asked them to price match Currys at £799. No answers yet. I am only looking for new boxed product.

I have studied LCDs and Plasmas and don't think the technology is ready yet unless you want to pay £2000+

Hmmm :confused:

3. TinkerMan

TinkerMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you regarding the LCD/plasma debate. I still prefer CRT for the money. Best picture for lowest price. I'm not prepared to spend thousands more for something that looks a little better when not switched on.

I have spoken to Currys staff several times recently, usually after reading posts in these forums, and have always found them to be poorly informed and often I have been downright lied to in order to try and get me to buy a certain set. I really feel for people that go in there and expect to be guided by those muppets. :mad: But it's a very good place to go and view loads of sets before buying elsewhere :smashin:

I can't believe that Sony would stop producing their flagship 28" and 32" CRT models and not replace them, after all this is still a decent sized market as not everyone has got thousands to spend on a LCD/plasma. I'm going to put my 14" in the front room for a few weeks and keep my fingers crossed.

4. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate to say it but I think the number of us who are prepared to pay for picture quality is pretty small. Most people are more concerned about impressing their friends than actually having the best viewing experience. :suicide:

5. Noo

Noo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got an immaculate graded one (an unwanted return to John Lewis due to size!). £599 for the 32DX200. There is another also in perfect condition.
    Have to collect though.

Boxed "as new". Can get a stand for 150 euros.

I'm happy :)

6. TinkerMan

TinkerMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just been into the Sony Centre on Tottenham Court Road and they are still selling these sets. They said they haven't been notified that they've been discontinued and their sales systems still have them listed. They offered me the 28" for £599. So either Empire Direct know about Sony's sets before the Sony Centres or Empire Direct are plain wrong. :confused:

7. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    It is not uncommon for a store to say a model is discontinued when they don't want to sell them anymore.... replacement stock with some other make/manufacturer where they've managed a good buying in deal. There's lots of reason why they might not want to stock an item anymore, poor sales is one example. If it's listed as discontinued stock on thier PC's (I.E. no longer available) then as far as they see it, it's discontinued!