1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KD-28DL11 poor sound quality

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jasi, Nov 28, 2004.

1. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi!
    I just bought a kd28dl11 and hope someone could comment on my problem. I've switched off the TV speakers and use the phono sockets to output the sound to my receiver. The problem is that the sound is awful. While not too bad at low volumes, the sound becomes really distorted with the volume turned up a bit, especially high and low frequencies. When I used an external freeview receiver plugged into the amp I didn't have this problem. I think its because of the sound processing the TV does. Does anyone know whether this is normal for Sony TVs? Or, even better, how to correct it?
    Thanks very much for any response! :)

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well apart from anything else this tv has RCA (phono) and Scart audio outputs available. You should not be using the headphone output to drive your hi-fi. Why not try either of these other outputs ? Regards, yt.

3. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I was using the phono sockets, not the headphone socket. I just tried using the 2nd scart socket to output the sound and that works fine I'm relieved to find. The TV must just be crap at processing sound - the RCA sockets output processed sound but the scart outputs the original signal.

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You will need to hack into a Scart plug as the line out uses the head phone amp and is pants - very common Sony issue

5. scotting

scotting
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having a similar problem with my new Sony KD32DX51 (which I think is a very similar tv to yours). I get absolutely no sound at all coming into the amp using the tv's phono connections, but it comes through perfectly when I use a scart to phono plug. But with only 2 scarts why should we have to use one of them when the sound should come out of the phono plugs!!

I have tried contacting Sony but haven't yet had a reply - if I get anywhere I will let you know.

6. jasi

jasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, have you tried turning the volume up on the TV? The volume is controlled by the TV as well when you're connected through the Phonos, maybe its just on a very low volume setting. Sorry if you already knew this but you have to switch the speakers off in the menu to get sound out the phonos too.

7. scotting

scotting
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: Thanks Jasi,

I have tried what you suggested and turned the TV speakers off using the menu and then turned the volume right up on the TV. I now have sound coming out of my amp, but it is really poor quality, especially compared to the sound I am getting from the Scart to Phono lead (which isn't even a good quality lead).

The other benefit of using the Scart to phono is that I don't have to go into the tv menus to turn off the tv speakers, it'll just work at the same time (but each scart connection is precious when you only have 2!!)

8. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You can add the cables to an extisting Scart lead