1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony is after you!!

Discussion in 'PS Vita Forum' started by Steve_P, Jun 24, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Guardian News Report

You've all been naughty boys and girls and Sony wants to slap your wrists! :p

S.

2. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    god i hate them, instead of all this they should just releasethe console everywhere are the same time therefore no grey imports, god sony make me sick sometimes.

3. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I sold my PSP to a "game" shop in plymouth. That'd be funny to see them impound that.

4. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Us brits keep getting treated like scum and we just take it. we get a console nearly a year late and sony have the nerve stop us importing it. I was really excited bout the psp initially now i just want it to fail. Apparently MS (another hateful megacorp) did a funny thing during the Paris psp show by putting a big poster oppsite the show saying something like save your energy this winter for 360 (hinting at its big release a few months later). I'm also glad the ds is trouncing psp in Japan (though again i was initially dissapointed by the ds graphics)

5. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    As if they can enforce that :rotfl: . If that was true then they would have to impound every Sony item bought outside of it's intended country of sale. This would include laptops, TV's, MP3's, Plasma's, PS2's, Amps, PJ's and all other AV equipment. If not you could claim discrimination as laws are there for a reason and you can't just adapt them to one specific product. Plus all anyone would have to say was that they dropped it and chucked it away as it was beyond repair.

6. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    -- knocking on the door ---

Buz: Hello

Big Bloke from sony: I want your PSP

Buz:No

Big Bloke from sony: Ive got a warrant

Buz:So

BBFS: Sony said this in unlawful

Buz: Since when has it been illegal to buy something

BBFS: Since sony wants to make the UK launch look very popular and sell more than the DS

Buz: sorry ive lost it.

BBFS: oh ok.

Buz: How are Sony going to retrieve thousands of PSPs

BBFS: Going round the people houses.

Buz: Oh take me to court, i could do with the laugh

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    Exactly, it's a complete joke! If it was legal to do such a thing then surely companies would have done this in the past. Look at the car industry - prices were so bad in this country that loads of people started importing cars from europe. Did the car companies say "right we're coming round to impound your imported car" ? No, the UK car industry reacted how it should have buy reducing prices to those more comparable with the continent.

8. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    and today Sony have said

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz this morning, SCEE head of corporate communications Nick Sharples said that "we're absolutely not going after consumers - that's not our objective at all."

"We can assure people who bought consoles on the grey market that we're not going to be going after them," he concluded.

Reports in the British press this morning had claimed that SCEE was planning to "impound" imported consoles, leaving consumers who had paid hundreds of pounds for the hardware empty-handed.

The claims seem to stem from a clause in Sony's high court action against a number of import retailers, which demands that they hand over the names and addresses of customers who have purchased hardware from them.

However, Sharples explained that this is standard procedure in legal actions of this type, with the data simply being used to trace back the full supply chain and establish the level of damages resulting from the importing.

The concerns seem to centre on the idea that Sony might emulate the RIAA, a music industry body which took individuals who downloaded music off the internet to court in a number of high profile cases.

The situation with PSP importing is completely different, however, and Sony acknowledges that it's unlikely that it would have any legal avenue to pursue individual consumers even if it actually wished to do so.

The firm's court case against import retailers, however, will continue - and earlier this week SCEE president David Reeves confirmed that over 600 letters have also been sent to individuals and companies engaged in selling import PSP devices on eBay.

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Sony are so full of it.
    Im liking them less and less, and am having some serious doubts as to whether i get a PS3 or not.

Im not happy with the PSPs lack of software. Its been a few months since it came out and all im seeing are crappy 1980s arcade games like pac man and space invaders coming out on a machine capable of doing PS2 like graphics.

@#$% SONY! :mad: :thumbsdow

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It makes me so angry when I read things like this. People go one about a certain other console manufacturer being the "Evil empire"

When has anyone but Sony tried to pull anything like this ? Its an absolutely disgusting attitude. Not only do we have to pay almost twice as much for these things as the Japs and Yanks they have to try and rub peoples faces in it.

Well they wont be getting mine back. It fell in the sea whilst I was on holiday honest :rolleyes:

THis sort of thing creates far more bad will than anything else, if they had released the PSP in April in the UK as planned they wouldnt have had a problem would they ?

11. IanW

IanW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Ah, if only would expend this much money and passion maybe the PSP would have been released in the UK in March?????????

:nono: :thumbsdow :mad:

I used to love Sony, but they really are pushing this too far.

Here's an idea we should start an "I will not buy a PS3 petition" until this ban free trade action is stopped?

:lease:

12. SilverDragon

SilverDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, Sony finally has the nerve to ban free trade with UK? Well, there is always a way around such things. Living in America, I don't have it as hard as others living in UK but I still find this unfair. If anyone wants to get a system that trade won't allow them to get it from a store, I can help you. I know of some places where they are just trading and mail orders do not count in free trade bans. I just wanted to say a few things to this part.

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    You would think they would be happy to see free trade and importing as it helps the japanese economy right?

Instead they get all righteous and give the people supporting them abuse?

I hope they loose all their market share to Nintendo and MS. At least they dont abuse their customers.

14. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    Ah well, that's helped me decide which nextgen console I'll be buying, Xbox360, although it was almost a deffo anyway (don't like the looks of the PS3, and controllers look like they still have sholder BUTTONS :mad: , why no triggers!?!)

It'd teach Sony a lesson if gamers started to boycot their products, shame there isn't a XboxPortable, I'd probably abandon Sony altogether :devil:

15. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    Wouldnt (if this actually happened) sony be breaking the law by asking these company's to release private information of their respective customers. As by doing that those companys would be forced to break the law by breaking the data protection act? :confused:

Damn Sony, I buy loads of your stuff over the years (as do many other people), and we pay more than the PSP is actually worth let alone stay loyal to your product and you want it back?? :mad: :mad: :mad:

:rtfm: :censored: YOU! You'll have to prise it from my dying fingers!!!

You should have stuck to your release date, instead we do this and you just cry.

Do they honestly think people would buy another one when it's launched if they got their's confiscated??? Sorry but if they tried to take mine they wouldnt get it :nono: I'd kick off!!!

I aint happy about that, where and when do we team up with PSP buyers all over the UK and protest launching a nation wide official complaint??

tris

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Im almost certain this would get thrown out if they pushed it. Its definately against UK data protecton laws. We as consumers havent broken any UK law therefore trying to obtain our personal details without permission would be illegal as far as I can see.

Its not the point really it is their whole attitude. Really I dispair when I hear things like this. If they had released the ******* thing when they said they would we wouldnt have had to go to all the trouble of importing the things without warranty. And can someone tell me again why we are paying £180 to get the PSP 12 months later than Japan when you can buy the basic PSP console for £100 in Japan :confused:

Sorry I forgot UK is a cash cow for Sony they can charge what they like and we will pay it :mad: The reason they are kicking off about this is because they dont want people like us spreading the word on how cheap these things are abroad :mad:

17. Steve Rollings

Steve Rollings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Presumably the Customs & Excise could be in trouble when they charged us import duty and VAT on this illegal action we have taken.

18. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just you wait till the Ps3 gets released in japan - Sony will arrest anyone caught importing them and force them to work in there factorys 24 hours a day for the rest of there life :rotfl:

19. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I think if they did confiscate them then a lot of people would stop buying their audio/visual products aswell. It would also scare people out of importing the PS3 so they would have to buy an Xbox 360 which will come out earlyer and steal sonys customers.

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    What is disapointing is that a lot of people I speak to just keep going on about the PS3, saying things like -

"That PS3's out next year, isn't it"
    "It's supposed to be 35 times more powerful than the PS2, can't wait!"

Then I say that the 360 is out in November and most people have never even heard of it :( .

I personally am going the 360 route and whether I eventually go for a PS3 will solely depend on the quality of games for it. I'd prefer just to stick with the 360 though.

21. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Same story in Japan. Its PS3 this and PS3 that. If i mention the 360 they quickly change the subject.
    Annoying. :(

I hope the 360 trounces the PS3 If not in japan at least IN THE REST OF THE WORLD!

If that did happen sony would stop the console business as japan alone wouldnt bring in enough proffit.

22. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Surely you expected this ? A friend who speaks Japananese once told me the word for foreigner actually has a dual meaning in the Japanese launguage - it also means "Unwelcome"

I have no idea if this was a joke or there is some truth in it. What is for sure is their almost racist approach towards the free market and buying foreign products. Like I have said before its a good job we dont all think like the Japanese; seing as their entire economy relies on exports. Japan has a long history of protectionism and isolation, I guess some things will never change.

I am sure the PS3 will sell more than the 360 this gen. But I think the gap will close in the US and Europe a great deal (Which makes up 60% of the market)
    Sony currently have 66% of the home console market a position of complete domination. They rely on this fact and the profits from video games make up up to 75% of Sonys overall profits (or have done so in recent years)

What would happen if their market share fell to 50% or below ? And they had to get involved in price cuts on costly hardware if things dont go as well as planned. This is why I believe they have released the PSP ; they know they rely on the home console market too much, they cant get any stonger in this area and have to find ways of making up the eventual shortfalls.

The thing is that Sony have the brand now and no matter how they treat people and try and walk all over the establishment we will still buy their consoles. After all the Crazy frog has been at number one for weeks :rolleyes:

How can you have any faith in a population who makes that garbage number one for weeks on end. Its embassasing :( What incidents like this prove is that we really do need three console manufacturers. Can you imagine what it would be like if there were only Playstations :eek:

If you think they are bad now what would they be like with a monopoly :eek:

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    The worst thing is that this whole thing reminds me of the Dreamcast lauch. I was very excited by the DC's release but everyone else hardly even knew what it was or when it was coming out. All they could mutter was PS2. I know you can't compare Sega with MS (as MS have the ability to keep throwing money at X-Box until they are Number 1) but it's just frustrating that the mass market can not see behind the Huge marketing machine that is Playstation. I really hope that there is a good shift this time so that I can just buy the 360 and get all of my gaming entertainment through that.

As we approach the end of the current console generation I have found myself in a position where I would be quite happy just to own an X-box and nothing else. If the 360 picks up from here (and it looks like it could do with GR3 & PGR3 looking fantastic!) then I will be a very happy man! Personally November can't come quick enough for me!! :clap: :clap:

EDIT:
    I agree 100%, I too have lost any faith that I had in the general population of this country (when it comes to making purchase decisions) after they persist in buying that stupid Crazy Frog tune. Let's face it, the majority of them are just brainwashed clones who would all buy a dog turd as long as it had a Playstation logo on it.

24. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I see your point about the Dreamcast. But there were other factors at the time that lead to their demise. Really Sega were already dead in the water at that stage - thats why the Dreamcas failed despite being an excellent console.

I worked for a large multiple at the time in a reasonably senior position. I remember talking to one of the video game buyers and he told me before the Dreamcast was launched it would be Segas last console and it would fail.

Why ? It didnt have the support of the retailers or third party developers. It didnt matter that the hardware was great and technically superior at the time or that it was first to market.

The downfall of the Dreamcast went all the wall back to the failure of the Sega Saturn. By all accounts the Saturn was a complete disaster for Sega, retailers and Game producers. Everyone got their fingers burned. The hardware was expensive to produce and sold extremely poorly. It was very difficult and costly to devlope games for and the games didnt sell at all well.

By the time they came to release the Dreamcast the damage was already done to the Sega brand as far as Gamming hardware was concerned. The market had moved on and as far as the industry were concerned it was one strike and you are out. Many retailers never stocked the Dreamcast from day one and the third party developers (Headed by EA games) refused to support it because of the Saturn. And that was the end of it really :(

People now talk about the 360 along the same lines of the Dreamcast. The hardware is good and they have the best part of a 12 month headstart from release. People think the same things could happen again.

But the situation is very different. Firstly MS are not running on borrowed time like Sega were. Far from it Microsoft have confirmed that they will continue beyond this current generation whatever the cost - they see this sector as that important.

Not only this retail and developers have loved the xbox. Its been a profitable platform for just about everyone involved (Except Microsoft). Its been easy (and relatively cheap) to develope games for Because of the shared PC arcitecture and Ms expertise in producing market leading software developement tools.

And the console has the highest Software / hardware sales ratio of any of the current gen of consoles. Importantly for the most part software - the most profitable part of the sector has sold very well on the Xbox.

So you see a very different picture to that of say Nintendo with the Gamecube who have struggled to maintain support for the console even in the early days of the platform; Dixon store group which has almost 30% of the video games hardware market in the UK stopped selling the Gamecube very early in the products life cycle for example.

Nintendo want to keep selling and the gamecube until the end of next year when the Revo will be ready; but even now with the revo well over a year away the majority of retail has long since abandoned it.

In comparison the xbox which will be replaced in just a few months is still going strongly with many many third party titles slated for release even in the 360 launch period and into next year.

What I`m trying to say is that despite Sonys domiantion and the certain fact the PS3 will be the biggest seller in the next generation (for the reasons already mentioned) The xbox brand actually has a hell of alot going for it. Only time will tell but I expect the 360 to significantly increase its market share in this generation partly at the expense of both Sony and Nintendo.

If MS could increase their market share from 18% to 30% would they be happy with that. I think so. But more importantly they have aspirations to be number one no matter what the cost if not in the next 5 years in the next 10 - 15.

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,728
    I agree entirely Harris and have no doubt that the X-Box brand will extend long after the 360. I also feel that the 360 will take some market share from Sony (especially if priced right).

My disapointment is just that for probably 70% of the gaming market (i.e. the casual gamer who perhaps only started gaming in the last generation or 2) a games console is still a Playstation. There is no doubt that MS have converted quite a few gamers to their brand but there is a long way to go. The 360 could be in the shops in 5 months time yet where is the hype!? The PS2 was being hyped up before the DC came out (a good year to 18 months ahead of release) and it seems that the PS3 hype is already far greater than the 360 hype, even though we won't see it here for at least a year after the 360's launch.

I didn't want to draw parallels between MS & Sega as there aren't any really. I just think that MS really need to start the hype machine rolling as 1 poor MTV show just won't cut it.

26. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Sony is not after You, Sony is after those who sold PSP to you, according to Sony.
    I will buy the Xbox360 probably the very first from our local Game store but only if the games on release are worth buying, same thing about PS3.

27. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    According to GameSpot, they're not looking for addresses. They're looking to stop people selling them on eBay.

28. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They sure have some nerve!

I can't believe they are trying to dictate what we can and cannot buy, it's their own fault people are importing anyway due to all the set backs etc.

Honestly I don't know why they are bothering, if we import directly via a US store there is nothing they can do to stop it. I feel sorry for the import video games stores though, whats next are they going to ban all imports?

29. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    This is absolutely the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!!!! How can Sony think they are so high and mighty to have complete control over market economy.

There is no law whatsoever against importing a console so long as the right tax is paid on the item. Sony really have been stupid!

30. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    It is not just Sony every other company in the world would want to see their authrised dealers doing bussiness in their area or turf :) obvousily because if any of Us i.e. Company, Dealer and consumer cheat or faulter then this whole business system will not work and quite likely either dealer or company stop doing at least that perticular item and that could lead to the eventual demise of company or dealership.