1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony IP7

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by baldie, Sep 3, 2004.

1. baldie

baldie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning,

Having never owned a camcorder in my life, and with 2 small children the time has come to buy one. I have been looking occasionally over the last year or so and the Sony IP7 always catches my eye, anyone any views on the IP7?

Or are there any other "mini" camcorders that are recommended, I would rather the camcorder was of the smaller variety.

Thanks

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, don't buy one.

MicroMV is a silly format. It's main benefit is the compact cassette allows tiny camcorders. You'll a canon MV6 or MV10 isn't any bigger but gives significanctly better video quality, is more widely compatible with editing applications (particularly if you are editing on a mac), is significantly cheaper and less expensive to run (you can buy 3 miniDV cassettes for the price of one sony micromv cassette).

MicroMV is a sony only format and the fact that sony have reduced thier range to one model signigfies that the formats lifespan may be reaching an end. MiniDV is much more future proof, & if you don't fancy the canons there are plenty of other choices.

I'm sure most other users will back me up on this.

3. baldie

baldie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Roy, so you'd go for the MV6 or MV10 then? I'll give them a look.

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its full name is the MV6imc (you might get a bargain on the older MV5/5i/5imc
    i = dv in, mc = memory card, for improved -but still ropey- stills) it's the one I'd go for if compact size was a premium specification.

5. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i had a ip7 thought it was prety good till it got nicked then bought a ip1 ip7replacment for a vc that you can put in your pocket its good just having a extension on my house i take reg video every day just to see the progress looks crystal on tv once its burnt to dvd
    micro mv may be a bit more expensive but then look at sd cards u would have to buy for the panny etc