1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony IDTVs latest software download.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by cosaw, Aug 2, 2004.

1. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Notice a few people having problems with Sonys IDTV menus and EPG (Electronic Program Guide).

I too am having the usual problems. The EPG has been very slow since last week. However for anyone who doesn't know these problems are usually associated with the fact that Sony have released new software and your tv is trying to download it.

My system information has changed since yesterday to:

Version number: r3.21[GB]
    Loader: v1.01

The version number was less than 3.21 yesterday and there was no "[GB]" (Great Britain I presume?). My EPG now displays much father ahead in time instead of saying "not available" or whatever it used to say. The EPG is still acting slow even though the version number has recently changed, hopefully this means the download is still not completed rather than the new version is slower because of the increase in information displayed on the EPG.

If anyone wants to check their version or if the software download is turned on then I assume its similar on all Sony sets:

Press: i+, press "setup" (blue), navigate to "detail setup" - from here you can access:
    "software download" to turn the function on or off,
    "system information" to check if your software version has been updated.

The process usually takes a couple of days. The download must store a bit at a time on idtvs until the whole download is complete rather than having to start a fresh download if you turned the tv off (I presume). If you leave your tv on overnight this should probably help it out but I'd make sure you do it on a channel with continuous broadcasts and no logos in order to minimise tube burn.

I remember the first time my telly downloaded I thought there was something up with it but then I worked it out!

Hope this helps those concerned.

Simon

2. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Simon

Thanks for the tip. Funnily enough, just got an e-mail from TopUpTV saying that an update for Sony idTVs is being broadcast on BBC1 and 2 today and until Wednesday - says leave it on BBC 1 or 2 for 1 hour minimum to get the update.

Will check the version number tomorrow

:smashin:

Guy

3. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    No problem Guy!

However I'm positive it will take quite some time longer than an hour on past experience, so don't be supprised. My EPG is still unresponsive and I use the telly quite alot on beeb one and two.

Regards,

Simon