Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony IDTV (Yes - AGAIN!) What's the ruddy crack??

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Timh, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    The cam is free from Ondigital, but you also have to register with sony for the cam upgrade, it's a software and hardware upgrade to accept the cam and get the digital text working.
    I am getting all the primary channels for one year for £2 a month [​IMG]
    My Sony kp-41ds1 has had the cam upgrade and is fully functional, however the digital text is slow and the wide button's use changes on text channels, there is an upgrade coming out over the air to put this fault right.
    My BBC channels used to swap about but that was nearly a year ago, I have heard it could be a problam with the transmitters and not the tv's.

Rob
    (More nervous than ever before about buying anything from anyone, anywhere after joining this forum!)
    I dont blame you I have just returned my JVC S-VHS VCR and got a full refung, it was crap.

Tim

------------------
    You are not Jadzia....Jadzia has gone to Stovacore

2. rob the builder

rob the builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently posted "Buying a Sony KV-32DX30 - please advise!!" and I am now sure that this is destined to be my TV. I want to order it at the end of the month...HOWEVER..

After reading about Sony IDTVs in this forum, I am worried that the TV "could" arrive and leave me plagued by dodgy aspect ratios, wonky digital text, resetting digital channels and WHAT, PLEASE, is the ruddy crack about CAM!? Is it free? If not, what does it cost? Oh, and what does it do???

Has anyone NOT had problems with Sony IDTV's? (come on, there's got to be a few of you out there???)

....help!....

Rob
    (More nervous than ever before about buying anything from anyone, anywhere after joining this forum!)

3. rob the builder

rob the builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Timh. Shortly after I posted this, I phoned a SONY centre and spoke to a bloke about the CAM. The gentleman* I spoke to told me that once I had received the CAM I didn't really need an engineer to fit it as it was simply a case of unscrewing a panel and inserting the CAM...(!) I'm not sure how much of a job it would be (probably quite easy?), but the words "warranty" and "voided" sprung to mind here!
    *For "gentleman" please read "plonker".

£2 per month for a year for the primary channels sounds pretty good to me! Is that a standard offer open to all? (I haven't looked into this too much yet as you can probably tell - I've been busy working, saving and renovating two rooms in preparation for the new gear arriving!) What happens after a year is up? I presume you pay a standard subscription charge (approx. £24 per month)?
    Thanks again Timh!

Rob

4. Alex

Alex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently got a Sony 28DX30U and have also received the Cam from OnDigital. There are two screws on a blanking plate on teh back of the TV that require removing and then the Cam can be inserted. I managed it si I can assure you its not difficult.On Digital supply full instructions with the Cam. It does not invalidate the warranty to do it yourself. I now receive my 6 free channels for a year and so far have had no problems. My TV did not require any upgrades as it came with the up todate software.

Hope this helps

Alex

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Hi Rob
    My set needed the upgrades to get the cam and digital text working, if you are buying a newer set, it should have all the latest hardware and software, so it should be o.k when you insert the cam, which is quite an easy job, which I would have done if it wasn't for the note saying dont insert until you have your set upgraded.

As for the offer, I got 6 primary channels for one year for free, but I oppted to upgrade to all the primary channel's for just £2 a month, I also got Sky Premier for one month for £1 which I had to cancel when the month was over.
    When the offer is over next year I believe it will cost me £13 a month for all the primary channel's.
    I believe this offer is open to all new idtv customer's, be careful they tried to rip me of and say the offer was for 3 month's, I soon sorted them out though, I had it in writing that it was for a year.

Good luck with your choice

Tim

------------------
    You are not Jadzia....Jadzia has gone to Stovacore

6. rob the builder

rob the builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timh and Alex,

Many thanks for your replies guys, they have really dispersed any fears I had and all of the information was greatly appreciated. [​IMG]
    Thanks for all the info on Sky digital too. I really think I will take them up on the offer (even after the £2 per month offer runs out, £13 per month is still cheaper than the sum that normal Sky customers pay is it not?! I was sure that my folks pay about £24 per month for the full subscription using a set top box...)
    I agree that if I buy the set now, it should come with all the latest software/hardware and bug fixes so it should not be a problem!
    Again, many many thanks!

Best regards,

Rob

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well my KV32DX20U here goes.

On delivery geometry was fine, a week after it went wonky, 1/2 hour in service menu and its fine. NOTE the remote with the DX20,30 and FX20 is missing the TV key, the missing key is on both my old TV remote and my DVD remote.

Channel swapping - BBC playing with small print - fix was software update.

Digital teletext - same update BBC is good others are slow. Ch20 has an advert to get IDTV owners to get a CAM.

CAM I still haven't had my hardware update YET so still have to use a box unless I power off the TV and shove the CAM in - FTA channels have interferance from the CAM so it's only occasionally used.

Big Concern possibly - on status menu it says 2K on DVB type when I thought it would be 2K/8K compliant - is this a restriction with the TV or is it a software setting - TV is a year newer than first 2K boxes. I bet if DVB-T goes 8K Sony will make sure it works<g>

SVM - this is a pain, how do I remove it permanently. It make analogue look terrible and tapes not very good. The PAL tuner in my SLHF950 vcr is better than DX20 PAL tuner, with SVM off in movie mode vcr pictures can be very good with just a slight drop in definitions - unless you use vhs junk.

DVD is fine of course as RGB is used, IF you get ghosting, the following will stop it. Snip pin 19 at TV end of a decent cable, also set up a channel number as RGB input in the manual tuning - this cons the TV into not outputting via Scart 1.

The audio decode times differ to a Nokia box as I played around with one (terrible device) and comparing TV vs a vcr output (taping off Nokia) was a slight delay.