1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony iDTV Smartlink EPG Recording

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Vaughn, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Vaughn

Vaughn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wasn’t sure whether to post this under TV’s or VCR’s, but since my first guess is that it’s a TV software problem I’ve plumped for this one, with apologies if I’m proved wrong!....

Has anyone successfully recorded from a Sony iDTV to a Smartlink VCR using the EPG programmer or manual timers?

My set-up is Sony KD-32DX100 iDTV (software version r1.03) and Sharp VC-S2000HM VCR (S-VHS) connected with a fully-wired Scart cable between AV3 on the TV and L1 on the VCR. Both are (allegedly) Smartlink compatible. Normal VCR playback and immediate recording while watching the TV are both fine, so I think the connections are OK.

However, timed recordings only ever record less than 2 seconds of the programme, and I’ve had to resort to recording crappy 4:3 analogue programmes while I’ve been out over Christmas :(

This is what happens:

• I set the EPG timer on the TV (either by selecting a programme or setting the manual start & end times).

• Then switch the TV to stand-by. The LED flashes red/green as it should when the timer is set.

• One minute before the start time, you can hear the TV tuner switch on as it should and the LED flashes green/red.

• At the start time, the VCR is switched on by the TV, the channel is set to L1, and recording begins.

• A second or two later, recording stops and the TV tuner turns itself off! :mad:

To try to tie down the cause, I connected the Scart to the L2 input of the VCR (not S-VHS, not Smartlink, and no playback) and set the VCR timer too, and this worked fine. This makes me think that there’s a problem with the (not-so-)Smartlink with either the TV deciding the VCR isn’t recording so it can turn everything off, or the VCR telling the TV there’s a problem so everything can be turned off.

Anyone got any ideas how I can actual get these irritating pieces of equipment to record a digital programme without being in the house to press the buttons myself!!

Cheers, Vaughn

2. muscat

muscat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony KV-32NX100 and a Sony video and have not had any problems recording the digital channels.

It would be useful to borrow a Sony Smartlink video if possible to see if it works with that. If it does work, then the problem may be that the Sharp video is not fully compatible or a fault in the video itself. If it still does not work with a Sony Smartlink video then I would suggest that there is a fault in the TV.

3. davewadley

davewadley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Sony DX100 and had exactly the same problems when recording to a non Smartlink Panasonic VCR.

I have recently purchased a Panasonic DVD recorder with Smartlink and everything works fine. Setting the timer using the EPG menu lets the tele switch the recorder on and off at the correct time. However you must not press the timer record button on the DVD as it will not then work.

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Have you set the tv menu up to tell it that you want the dtt signal sent out via the scart? Just a thought.

I have a DX100, but don't have a regular vcr to use/test the facility.

5. davewadley

davewadley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Vaughn

Just an idea but suggest you make sure that PDC is set to off on your VCR when you record.

6. Vaughn

Vaughn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all that have responded to my query so far.

Just to clarify, yes the digi channel is going out to the VCR and recording works fine if I press record manually. And I'm not setting the VCR timer as I'm expecting the TV to do everything via Smartlink.

I'll check the PDC setting, but it's looking like the Smartlink 'standard' may be implemented differently by Sony and Sharp!

Has anyone out there every used Smartlink successfully on a Sharp VCR?

Cheers, Vaughn

7. Vaughn

Vaughn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I borrowed a Sony VCR from a colleague and tried that - the timed recording of a digi channel (timer set on TV's EPG) using Sony-to-Sony Smartlink worked perfectly!

Therefore, it must be Sharp's poor implementation of Smartlink in the VC-S2000HM that is causing the problem!

Apologies to Sony for any implication in my original post that I suspected the EPG software on the DX100!

Vaughn