Sony idtv - how to record progs you're NOT watching..?

J

James G

Have connected my new Sony kd28dx40 as suggested in the manual, with a Smartlink vcr...BUT cannot work out how to watch, say, 24 on BBC2 digital while recording 6 Feet Under on C4. When the telly's on, the VCR only wants to record what's on the telly...
HELP!

dont know about sony but with my grundig idtv, you have to set timer record on tv menu at least 5 mins. before program starts for recording any digital proggie, it will then go into stand by mode and wait, you can turn it back on and watch any analoge station, but only watch the digital one thats being recorded.
until dual tuners digital/analoge or single digital tuners are available in recorders we a limited to this sort of thing.

I was gonna post a new thread but think this is the same problem I'm having....
Here's what I was gonna post. Did you get it sorted? Anyone else help?

"I've got a TV and video (both Sony) that both support the Smartlink function.
The idea was supposedly that on the TV I could scan through the listings (it's a digital TV) and select a programme and when the program starts and finishes the video would do so too without setting it manually. However, when I came to use it, it would say 'recording is about to start' but then say 'check vcr' and it wouldn't record. I wasn't too bothered about this and just thought I hadn't set it up right.
Anyway, I needed to record a digital programme last night (to record from that tuner you need to keep the TV on or in standby). It was on late so I just programmed the vid as normal to record L1 and put the TV in standby. Checked the recording this morning and it's fine while the TV is on but then blackness from when I went to standby..
Checked connections and all was fine so had a read of both manuals. In the video manual it mentions something about 'direct tv record' which it says allows you to record whatever you're watching at the time. I turned this on and now when I programme a recording on the TV, sure enough the video starts and records it. If I turn the TV to standby and the standby light flashes every 20 secs or so from green to red to show it's doing something.
Fine I thought. However, now if I'm watching something, say a digital channel, and want to record something on say itv, I change the video channel to ITV and press record but it turns the video to L1 and records what I'm watching!
How can I enable the Smartlink functionality (seemingly by enabling 'direct tv' on the video) but also record other channels that I'm not watching????
Sorry for the long post but hopefully gives enough info.."

Sj

Ok only scanned so forgive me for errors missunderstandings.

Ok, james I have the same telly as you. I don't think it's actually possible to do what you are asking unfortunately.

To everyone. Have you also got a Sony video if you've got a sony tv? Having both Sony would help I think. Next point, is the smartlink logo lit up on your video recorder? If not you need a better scart cable which is smatlink capable. Not all scarts leads are created equal (some omit some less used wires/connections, you'll know because the whole cable will be thiner than it should be). If these factors are true you should not have a problem with event timer recordings.

So if everyone starts from this level playing field things should be easier. Have not resolved these issues fully myself but I'll tell you what I know.

Recording from tv (whilst L1 displayed on vcr) records the anamorphic image from the tellys digital tuner, this is the only way you can get your vcr to record widescreen. Downside you have to watch what you are recording. I don't yet know of any other way.

If you have your telly on and video on and you select a chanel on your vcr (say bbc2) and then press record, you won't record bbc2. The video automatically switches to L1 and starts recording off the telly. To get round this you need the video chanel displayed on your telly before you press record. Cycle through with [->] style button, top right hand corner of your remote. Once recording you can then cycle back on the telly to the digital tuner and watch what you want on digital (not sure about analogue on telly, not tried it). You are now recording the analogue signal going into your video, you will not get widescreen.

Will report if I can be botherd to discover anything further. Hope this helps all.

cosaw

Just buy a Pace Twin - watch digital - record digital - and there is another spare if you want to mess with a RGB fed DVD recorder

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom