1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony IDTV a step backwards?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Galilee, May 14, 2005.

1. Galilee

Galilee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - new poster here.

I've just bought a Sony KD28DX51 to replace the 14" I've been watching for the last 10 years. Good plan, or so I thought!

I used to watch Freeview on an old 1998 Pace ONdigital box - a second-hand cast off from a friend.

Now I've got my new Sony set up, I can't get as many channels through the set's built-in tuner than I could get from the ONdigital box. I'm in a partial coverage area, but I could get C4 and FIVE on the old box. Now I can't get FIVE (no great loss, admittedly, but now I can't watch Joey), and C4 often breaks up.

Have I set up my TV wrong? The menus don't offer many options. I've gone through autotune several times.

How does IDTV differ from set top boxes? I'd read good things about Sony IDTV tuners on this forum so it never occured to me that I'd get less channels on it. I was even half hoping it would find a few more for me!

Any advice, or even an explanation, appreciated!

Thanks!

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sounds like a weak signal - these TVs like a strong signal but will work where most boxes would be swamped.

To start with make sure the TV is the first thing to be plugged in and also try rescanning.

Failing this improve the aerial or cable

3. Galilee

Galilee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good idea - what's the general consensus on things like this QED aerial cable: http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1132

Do they make a difference ... or are they just nice looking things for people who are looking for something to spend money on?

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Use CT100 for the downlead - any flyleads make out of CT100 with solder fitted plugs