Sony HXD970 - Simultaneous Rec and Play Issues

CBC

Standard Member
I'm trying to play a DVD while recording to the HDD as described in the operating instructions but can't get it to work.

When I change to DVD with a dvd inserted and press play I get the message on the TV "Cannot play because the TV system is set differently". The TV is a Panasonic TX-37LZD80. Do the TV settings have to be set in a certain way?

I can record onto the HDD while watching something already recorded onto the HDD.

Please can someone help?

ravingdave

Novice Member
Is the DVD a standard PAL (UK standard TV system) recording? I don't think you can mix video types, so for instance you could not record PAL whilst trying to play an NTSC (US standard) disc.

CBC

Standard Member
Thanks for your response. Yes the DVD is a standard PAL recording. Could it be something to do with the TV or DVD recorder settings being different and maybe need changing?

ROYOLD

Novice Member
I believe that Gavtech has a posting somewhere on this forum stating that some commercial discs sold in the UK are actually NTSC format.

See if your recorder will play other UK purchased discs whilst recording.

ramjet

Banned
I would also agree that this sounds like the recorder is detecting the disk as none-uk and so wont play it while it is recording

doesnt really matter if it is pal uk or not , if you test some others and they work , and then you test it with some iffy ones and they dont play while it is recording then you know its the recorder thinking they are non-pal or non-uk

I wouldnt call it a fault either , its just the way these things sometimes come out in the wash , so if it works 90% of the time with pal-uk disks then maybe thats the best you can hope for with simultaneous record and playback

but if it happened with all pal uk disks then there would be a problem or fault on it

CBC

Standard Member
Thanks for both of your responses. I have tried some other dvds and I can both Record and Play.

It must have been a couple of iffy dvds.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom