Sony HXD890- TV/DVD mode switches during play

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stuckinmiddle, Feb 9, 2009.

1. stuckinmiddle

stuckinmiddle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    re: TV/DVD button

When watching a DVD I use 'TV mode' as the picture is much better (I find the DVD mode too harsh even though I have adjusted settings). The trouble is during the film when the DVD switches layers- it jumps back to the harsh looking 'DVD mode'- Any suggestions?

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,094

Welcome to the forum.

You have not mentioned how your unit is connected to the TV... and it is relevant.

For example , if you are connected by HDMI then your TV will have setting adjustments specifically for that input, and you should be able to reduce the harshness.

3. stuckinmiddle

stuckinmiddle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying- It is connected by HDMI. I am able to adjust- only to an extent though as the settings are limited in that function.

When I play a DVD, it stays on 'TV Mode' with the nice picture- the one I'd like to keep it on. It's when the film is about half way through and the layer changing pause (although very little pause on this machine) kicks in- that is when it changes to 'DVD Mode'- why is this? It's a pain.

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,094
    The simple answer to this, as it seems you do not like the picture quality via the HDMI route, would be to disconnect the HDMI lead and watch via another route, then the switching issue would not arise.

5. stuckinmiddle

stuckinmiddle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After paying £45 for the lead! haha So when I'm watching a DVD in 'TV Mode', the HDMI cable is not being used?

6. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Hmmm. It sounds like the OP might be connected to his TV via both a SCART cable and a HDMI lead!

My understanding of the TV/DVD mode button (based on how I use it on an earlier 710) is that it allows you to connect a digibox to the recorder and be able to view its output via RGB SCART if you aren't watching a DVD.

ie If you are watching a DVD or the ouput of the DVD recorder, select 'DVD' mode.
    If you want to watch the digibox whilst the DVD recorder is recording another channel, select 'TV' mode - all that happens in this mode is that the RGB SCART socket input 3 is internally connected directly to the RGB SCART output socket 1, electrically bypassing the DVD recorder.

7. stuckinmiddle

stuckinmiddle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's an OP? And the DVD recorder is connected via both. Is it not supposed to be? :oops:

I can do this and then it doesn't change modes, yes, but the picture is different- too harsh looking and with no amount of fiddling with the picture adjustment on the DVD recorder, can I get the nice smooth cinematic picture that is presented in the 'TV mode'

8. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,094
    OP = Original Poster. i.e. you.

I mentioned making adjustments on the TV hdmi input settings ... but you have now mentioned using the adjustments in the DVDR ... so have you not tried the making the TV adjustments?

If not you would be better resetting the units adjustments to default and making the adjustments in the TV to balance it with other inputs and sources.

Various Sony models have some anomalies when it comes to the functioning of the DVD/TV button... but yes it is likely that when you use what you think of as the TV mode ... is actually the DVD mode and what you are doing is latching the TV to its scart input and viewing it via that route.

You can prove that by disconnecting the scart and then trying it.

9. stuckinmiddle

stuckinmiddle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't see how to adjust the picture from the TV HDMI settings? I didn't know I could? Please forgive my ignorance- I'm crap with these things.

I will try this. Thanks

Also (this might give you a clue?)

When a dvd is playing in 'TV mode', I cannot alter the picture to smart, zoom, or 14:1 etc. Only in 'DVD mode' can I do this- and so with the harsh looking picture.

10. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I get switching between component out and rgb scart out on my dual connected 770 recorder , so it is possible to get these sorts of effects

I always say try scart only and do a test , as that always helps to prove where problems do or dont exist

11. stuckinmiddle

stuckinmiddle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, given the info here and what is being said in reviews. I think that the harsh poorer quality picture is via the scart which comes up as 'DVD mode'.

The nice smooth picture is likely to be via the HDMI which makes sense. Also- in this mode I cannot alter the picture size which is what is said in the reviews. This comes up as 'TV mode' on mine.

So if I remove the scart, then the dual layer pause cannot make the DVDR jump to the other mode, and problem solved! All good (except this means some films appear as a tiny screen surrounded by a whole load of black screen).

If I just use the HDMI- will this transmit the DVDR's Freeview signal to my TV, and also the HDD? Or is it just for DVD's?

Thanks

12. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    id you use the hdmi it will allow you to select any of the 4 inputs , same as it would with scart

if using hdmi you can set the screen settings to full in the hdmi settings screen

initial setup , hdmi settings 4:3 video output to full , colour rgb 0-255 audio - auto

it may be that you havent set the scart to RGB and left it on video in the video in/out section , video = composite = cvbs

the other tv picture aspect settings on the tv remote dont apply in hdmi , only on scart or cvbs etc

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  13. stuckinmiddle

stuckinmiddle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt I have set the scart to RGB. I don't know what any of that means. That last sentance means nothing? cvbs? Please forgive my lack of knowledge here. A basic explanation would be great.

So this would blow my above theory out of the water. It's clear that the smooth, good picture for me- is taking the TV's picture aspect settings.

And so, the HDMI picture is harsh and bold and not very good at all!?!

14. ramjet

ramjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    if you are using scart , you have a couple of input and output options in the menu , its your job to set these correctly

the default says video , and video uses a term called composite , which is also known as cvbs , and is the yellow/red/white you see on the front of your recorder and probably on your tv

yellow for video ( pictures )

red and white for stereo sound , or stereo audio

this is one of the worst pictures you will see

RGB is red/green/blue and is what all your colour pictures are based on , so using a 21 pin fully wired scart lead from line 3 of the recorder to your rgb scart input on your tv , and setting it to RGB and not video means you will get a better signal , as RGB is 3 different colours where as composite is an amalgam of all 3 colours

the point here is you should be using a fully wired scart lead and setting any inputs or outputs to rgb and not video/cvbs/composite

hdmi is a different method of connection , and those aspect controls do not work on my tv here when using hdmi ( I tested it for you ) , but they do work using scart or composite connections

so you have to set your hdmi up on the recorder using the menu as I explained earlier

bear in mind this recorder has various inputs and outputs , various settings , and so does your tv and any other equipment , and its your job to sort this lot out for your personal best , or pay somebody to do it for you if you cannot manage it

I wouldnt set store by any of your theories unless you were an expert in these matters which gives you the right to formulate a theory , otherwise its trial and error ;)

think of it as like when you go into asda or tesco , thousands of choices on offer , its your job to decide what goes in your trolley and what stays on the shelves , they dont do it for you , but they may give you a store guide to help with your decisions

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  15. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,094
    Also, rather than the endless theorising, you an get categorical results by either connecting by HDMI OR scart ...not both ....and determine absolutely which connection method produces which results and find the one that suits you.

16. stuckinmiddle

stuckinmiddle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, I will, thanks. I wanted to get as much info as possible whilst at work before going home and testing (as I have no internet at home)

17. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,094
    Understood.

Good luck.

18. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    That's not going to help him if he's trying to watch an old 4:3 letterbox DVD or indeed a 4:3 TV show - he'll just get a stretched picture.

0-255 is not normal, that's what you might use if you were using a PC monitor as a screen. A TV will expect 16-235.

If his TV won't allow him to change the zoom and aspect in HDMI mode, it might be better for him to lose the HDMI lead and put the SCART output mode in RGB for best quality. Then at least he'll have more flexibility.

19. stuckinmiddle

stuckinmiddle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I (or you guys) solved original problem of modes switching during play. I unplugged the scart- all done. Yes it is annying I can't change aspect ratio just using HDMI- but the quality seems to be much better even compared to scart in RGB mode. If I desperately need to change ratio, I can easily plug scart back in and go from there.

The 0-255 seemed to be a much when I tried. It was a bit like the contast had been turned up too much.

However all this has not solved all the problems. I've started a new thread as the new problem is not related to this.