• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony HXD890 power consumtion?

jlheath

Standard Member
Anyone know the operational and standby power consumption of the Sony HXD890.The manual says operational consumption is 47W but the rest of the net says different figures. I am really interested in the standby consumption.

Ta

James

Gavtech

Administrator
Anyone know the operational and standby power consumption of the Sony HXD890.The manual says operational consumption is 47W but the rest of the net says different figures. I am really interested in the standby consumption.

Ta

James

Hi James.

The manual is the figure to trust.

Unfortunately, the standby figure is not published.

All I can suggest contacting Sony End-user technical Support to get that information.

Contact HERE

Please let us know the answer if you get one.

mentsugi

Established Member
Hi James,
I know this one as one reason I bought this model was to be able to put it into power save standby but still have the aerial pass through work (option 1 of the standby options).
Anyway I have a power measuring plug and found that during normal use (HDD recording or playing) the power used was between 27W and 30W and in standby option 1 it went down to <3W.

I would guess that the 47W is the max operating figure so if you are recording to HDD and playing a DVD maybe the consumption would be more nearer to 47W but did not measure this myself.

Hope this helps.

Mooly

Established Member
Can I just add, and it's a very very rough aproximation, that every watt consumed per 24 hours costs around 1 pound per year. It's easy to work it out exactly I know but sometimes it helps to think 4 watts standy -- thats costing me 4 quid a year and so on.

Gavtech

Administrator
Can I just add, and it's a very very rough aproximation, that every watt consumed per 24 hours costs around 1 pound per year. It's easy to work it out exactly I know but sometimes it helps to think 4 watts standy -- thats costing me 4 quid a year and so on.

Its a good guide but all things have to be perspectivised.

I am not saying that consumers should not encourage the development of more efficient and less wasteful machinery but all such energy is not lost... and is not being wasted in all locations at all times of year.

All 'waste' energy is dumped as heat, and a much more important consideration than machine efficiency is how the the house as a whole performs. The 'domestic machine' and it's net energy use.

All waste energy from machines means less has to be supplied by heating systems. Obviously this is less relevant in the South than in the North when addressing the UK ... and season is a factor.

But it is important to be aware of the scalar differences involved. A few watts saved in a machine is nice, but is nothing compared to the kilowatts used and lost from the domestic environment, so if one cares about this issue it is one's dwelling energy efficiency as a whole that should be being addressed primarily.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom