Sony HXD890 Freeview aspect ratio problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stuckinmiddle, Feb 10, 2009.

1. stuckinmiddle

stuckinmiddle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the DVDR, only some freeview channels are coming through with the correct 16:9. On a few (Film 4, 4Music, E4+1, IVT2), the picture is coming up as a 4:3 when the signal is 16:9. I have freeview on my TV and so can compare how it shoud be.

I tried the HDMI settings on full which just resulted on a stretched picture on the offending channels.

Why is the unit only recognising some channels as 16:9? Anyone?

As I'm using HDMI only, I can't simply change the aspect ratio on the TV remote as it doesn't work. Also on the offending channels the full picture comes up for a second or so before reverting to the annoying 4:3.

I can't find any settings on to sort this out.

2. Kelly Harris

Kelly Harris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I have had this issue at odd times - I believe it's a handshaking issue over the HDMI lead. To cure it, unplug the Recorder from the mains for a few moments, and you should find when it reboots, it's OK again.
    It's always worked for me.

4. stuckinmiddle

stuckinmiddle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    That is because there is no current solution.

There is either something odd about the way these channels are currently being broadcast [ something that changed recently ] OR about the way the the Sony units are responding to it.

The likelihood is that, in time, either the broadcasters will put this right , or Sony will issue a software update to deal with it.

6. stuckinmiddle

stuckinmiddle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see, thanks. Well I guess its good that its not a fault on the unit. Still a pain though. It must be different freeview receiving software in the DVD player from the Sony TV then.

I guess if I desperately want to record a film on Film 4 in widescreen I can do so by using the TV's output into the DVDR.

Is such software likely to be the type the unit picks up through the arial or a disk that Sony release?

7. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    It depends on where the problem lies.

If it is an issue in the reception software, it would be an over-the-air fix.

If a problem in the machine firmware or HDMI handling then it would probably be a Website update.

However, there are some who say this is not an issue at all... but the way things have always been with these secondary channels.