• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony HXD890 Cant get picture via RF

678hug

Hi. Got a Sony HXD890 DVD recorder. It outputs to my tv fine using the HDMI or Scart leads but won't output if i just use the RF (aerial cable).

The reason i need it via RF lead is because the utput goes into a distribution (splitter) box which then feeds the rest of the house so i can watch the dvd recorder anywhere. I will obviously use the higher quality hdmi for the main tv connected directly to the recorder but need this RF output for the rest of the house.

I've tried playing a dvd and connecting directly to a tv using an aerial lead and then searching for the channel just like we all did when setting up old videos but nothing. Tried different leads and 2 tv's. Still nothing.

It shows this as possible on page 19 of the manual, but the Sony support service couldn't understand why i needed to use the RF side of things and therefore kept satin use the hdmi.

Can't find any settings which could turn the RF output off and the manual doesn't even say what the default output channel is.

I suspect it is a fault with the recorder.

Any extra advice please

ramjet

Banned
its not faulty at all

these recorders do not have an rf output , which is why you are not getting one , never have had one and never will either

you need to use a game adapter or an old vcr for distribution in the old rf manner

as detailed in this thread here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833282 which I assume you havent read ?

the rf cables supplied are for loopthrough of the aerial feed so your tv gets analogue and freeview channels , its not for adding an internal rf signal like on an old vcr or a sky box

678hug

Many thanks for your reply and for doing it so quickly. Youre' right, i hadn't read the thread but it does make sense. I'm off out to get a modulator now.
Many many thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom