Sony HXD870

SAMBA VAN MAN

Standard Member
Hiya

I need help before i go out and buy the wrong wires (Bear with me in new to all this:laugh:) I have a Sony HX870 and have just bought an Onkyo TX-NR609 The guy in the shop said for me to watch a movie on the DVD player in 5.1 Dolby i would need an Optical Cable. I have looked on the back of the Sony DVD recorder and there is no optical output socket, There is 1 HDMI, 1 Digital Coax with an Orange centre, Then the normal Scart leads. I have been using the scarts from day 1 of getting the Sony due to me still owning a Toshiba CRT tv. Do i use the HDMI and the Digital Coaxial cable or just the HDMI? Im confused as it's my 1st time using AV Receivers and HDMI.

Help me :lease:

Thanks

Paul

P.S in the Sony Owners Manual it says
If your Audio component has Dolby Digital, Digital DTS or MPEG audio decoder and a digital input jack use this connection. You canenjoy Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 AND mpeg 5.1 surround effects. Yet when you look at the diagram it shows the HDMI going from the DVD to AMP then next to it OR Coaxial Digital Cord im confused.com:suicide:

Gavtech

Administrator
Hiya

I need help before i go out and buy the wrong wires (Bear with me in new to all this:laugh:) I have a Sony HX870 and have just bought an Onkyo TX-NR609 The guy in the shop said for me to watch a movie on the DVD player in 5.1 Dolby i would need an Optical Cable. I have looked on the back of the Sony DVD recorder and there is no optical output socket, There is 1 HDMI, 1 Digital Coax with an Orange centre, Then the normal Scart leads. I have been using the scarts from day 1 of getting the Sony due to me still owning a Toshiba CRT tv. Do i use the HDMI and the Digital Coaxial cable or just the HDMI? Im confused as it's my 1st time using AV Receivers and HDMI.

Help me :lease:

Thanks

Paul

P.S in the Sony Owners Manual it says
If your Audio component has Dolby Digital, Digital DTS or MPEG audio decoder and a digital input jack use this connection. You canenjoy Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 AND mpeg 5.1 surround effects. Yet when you look at the diagram it shows the HDMI going from the DVD to AMP then next to it OR Coaxial Digital Cord im confused.com:suicide:

The digital sound can be sent via either a coaxial connector OR via the HDMI cable - it doesn't matter [ ...provided the amp has an coaxial input - if not you would require a coaxial to optical converter. ]

However, as your TV is a CRT TV you cannot use the HDMI form of interconnection, therefore continue to use scart to feed the TV and use a coaxial connection , with a converter if it is necessary, to feed digital audio to the amp.

Gavtech

Administrator
:oops: Meant to say i have got the Sony HX923 on order that also has HDMI. :)

:D ' Makes a bit of a difference.

In which case all you should require is 2 HDMI leads.

One from 870 to amp. One from Amp to TV

The amp will pass on the picture and extract the digital audio.

SAMBA VAN MAN

Standard Member
Thankyou Gavtech for that it's ironed that problem out.:)

I take it that the Virgin Media box is the same or do i need an Optical cable aswell as HDMI for Virgin V+ Box to Amp.

Gavtech

Administrator
Thankyou Gavtech for that it's ironed that problem out.:)

I take it that the Virgin Media box is the same or do i need an Optical cable aswell as HDMI for Virgin V+ Box to Amp.

I don't know any detail of the V Box... but I would certainly expect it to deliver digital audio in the same way... but double check in its manual.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom