• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony HXD870 Problems with format on some Sky channels

320i

Can anyone help. Just took delivery of an HXD870 and I am having a few problems mainly with Sky. Setup is Sony KD32DX40U 32” widescreen TV (about 5 years old now), Sony VTX S750U Sky Digibox and the HXD870. Read all the posts and tried Digibox TV Scart to HXD Line 1 and HXD Line 3 to Smartlink enabled Scart on TV. Problem is that some channels display 16:9 but some display 4:3. It is quite random, ITV2 is 16:9, but ITV3 and ITV4 are 4:3 plus lots of others, Living, etc. Digibox is correctly set to 16:9 output and RGB. This is not a problem if I connect Sky box directly to TV. I have connected 2nd scart on Sky box direct to Line 1 scart on TV and this solves the problem, however, now it will not auto switch to Sky when the Sky Box is turned on.

Why is my HXD870 randomly switching between 16:9 and 4:3. This can’t be right. Half of the programs will be recorded in the wrong format. Can anyone offer some advice.

320i

Yes, Discovery does but this is the only one that I know about, all the others that I watch regularly are usually 16:9. When the Sky box is connected direct to the TV, ITV3 and 4 plus many others including Living, etc., all show 16:9 correctly. On the HXD, as soon as I get above Sky2, nearly all Channels show 4:3 until I get to Movies. I have always bought Sony including my Digibox but now thinking this one was a mistake.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Yes, Discovery does but this is the only one that I know about, all the others that I watch regularly are usually 16:9. When the Sky box is connected direct to the TV, ITV3 and 4 plus many others including Living, etc., all show 16:9 correctly.

At the moment UKTV G2 and Living are in 4x3.

320i

Ok so I am really confussed. Changed picture settings in Sky box from 16:9 to 4:3. Made no difference with Sky box direct to TV, still displaying in 16:9. Hooked HXD back up and Sky channels when showing on Pass through (Sky TV scart to HXD Line 1 and HXD Line 3 to TV with HXD switched off), Sky Channels display at 16:9. Now switch on HXD, change to L1 to watch Sky and all Channels are displaying 4:3? Switch the HXD off again and all channels back to 16:9??

320i

Set to 16:9 in playback menu. Is it set anywhere else? Now every sky channel is stuck on 4:3 on HXD even though I have reset Sky Box to 16:9.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom