1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HXD710 or Separate DVD and Humax?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by northerner100, Oct 13, 2005.

1. northerner100

northerner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need some help!

Just on the edge of buying new LCD along with new dvd played (with HDMI) and some form of digital recording.

I'm settled (sort of!) on the LCD but need some advise on where to put my money for the other elements... Do I go for the Sony HXD710 (although maybe the 910 or Panny EH60) and be done with it, or get a separate DVD player and something like the Humax?? The later would definitely be the cheaper option but I like the idea of having it all in one box.

The other thing I was thinking about was al this business of upscaling to 720p etc... Is it really worth getting a DVD that upscales (using 32" LCD) or not? Will there be a noticeable difference? There's a new Denon DVD player out which has HDMI and upscaling which I like the look of, but then there's all this new HD DVD/Blueray etc coming out soon(ish) isn't there? If I go for the 'all in one' option will I be wanting to bin that in a year to get one of these????? :confused: :confused:

Sorry for all the questions, hope someone can help..

Graham

2. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The 710 doesn't upscale (nor have HDMI) but the 910 does.

My choice was to get a 710 (fantastic kit) and partner it with a £200 Denon 1920.

A few quid more than the 910 alone but more flexible.

3. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I have just got a '710, which is fantastic, but I am in the process of moving so have not had a chance to compare it to my main player (Denon 2200).

I am using the component outputs only, so the extra cost of the '910 was not worth it just for a slightly bigger HDD.

In your situation though, the '910 may be the perfect solution as you will be using the HDMI output. I would demo it for playback ability against £200 players and see what looks best.

The only problem with a DVD/Humax combination is that you will not be able to archive to DVD. I find I am using the HDD almost exclusively, but it is nice to have the option of recording to DVD for whern you want to transfer stuff to other systems or take to friends etc.

4. northerner100

northerner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

I knew that the 710 doesn't upscale but I was under the impression it has HDMI? Am I wrong on that one??

Not entirely convinced I need a player capable of upscaling, will be used on 32" and not a 50" monster - would upscaling be noticeable compared to component/progressive??

Graham

5. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Upscaling is a hot potato, I like it on my 32" LCD.

The 710 does not have HDMI, the manual refers to the connections for the 910 as well for some reason! In fact I think the manual may be for both players.

6. northerner100

northerner100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks CLH,

This really is a dilema... Denon 1920 looks fantastic and would definitely be top of my list for a stand alone DVD player, trouble is the wife would NOT be happy seeing 2 DVD players (the other in the form of a 710) under the TV!!! Women! With my new screen I'd really like HDMI to ensure I get the best picture possible, upscaling would be nice, HDD recording is a must, DVD recording not so bothered but could be useful, the HXD910 does it all but is expensive and looks like it could be hard to get hold of any time soon... Is there anything other than the 910 which does it all??