• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Sony HXD DVD drive replacement?

carloslacouture

Standard Member
Sony HXD DVD drive replacement

My Sony HXD 970 DVD unit has failed ( Part no : DVR-U12HDD ) , and ive seen the laser assembly on ebay for £90, but wondered

a.if there were more inexpensive replacement alternative that fits unit?

b. if it possible to connect another external dvd drive to the HXD 970 unit, to burn all program on Hard Drive to dvd?

thanks

Also:

I've seen other unanswered questions on hxd dvd replacement

DVD drive replacement on Sony HXD 970 ?

Sony HXD1070 - DVD record mode failure

Help please: New laser for a Sony RDR HXD995 dvd recorder. Who do you recommend?

Changing the DVD drive on RDRHXD970

gavtech said "There are conventional drive replacement details on the forum if you do a little searching"

Sony RDR HXD 870 DVD drive replacement

I've looked for hours and can't find any, so if anyone can help, please advise

likewise if anyone know that theres no dvd replacement mod, for sony hxd that would be good to know, thanks

Gavtech

Administrator
I think in your quote from me above I was referring to HDD drive replacement, not the DVD drive replacement.

To answer your questions as best I can, I do not know of any cheaper replacements.

The only way I could imagine a cheaper part would be to replace the laser assembly within the unit only... but I have never heard of it being done with this model so I do not know of the pitfalls.

I very much doubt if it is possible to connect any other type of DVD drive either. These are pretty much dedicated units for this type of device.

Another alternative route to saving your programmes is to play them out and record them on another machine, albeit that does involve some quality loss.

carloslacouture

Standard Member
Thanks for reply. Ill try breaking an old 770/870/970 for a working disc drive to replace mine.

On the HDD front is it possible to make a HDD image of my existing HDD to transfer to any future hd upgrade , or is any other form of digital HDD to HDD transfer possible, or do i have to do scart to scart? thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom