Sony HXD 890 DVD Dubbing issue

I'mStuckInMyTV!

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I'm trying to dub a DVD to the HDD as I want to make some edits to it, but it keeps saying something like 'TV and recorder settings do not match - cannot dub'. If I can't get round that, would something like 'Nero' enable me to do that with menus and things like that?

So, I'm trying to dub a DVD to the HDD as I want to make some edits to it, but it keeps saying something like 'TV and recorder settings do not match - cannot dub'. If I can't get round that, would something like 'Nero' enable me to do that with menus and things like that?

I presume the disk is NTSC and the recorder set to PAL.... or vice versa.

How do you go about changing that?

Also, would you recommend Nero for creating DVDs on the PC - if so, which package? And can DVDs made on a PC be finalised so they'll work on the Sony (and other players)? Does Nero work ok with Win 7 64bit?

How do you go about changing that?

Also, would you recommend Nero for creating DVDs on the PC - if so, which package? And can DVDs made on a PC be finalised so they'll work on the Sony (and other players)? Does Nero work ok with Win 7 64bit?

Nero is a well established and respected software suite.
The multimedia suite 10 is suitable for your needs.

Click on the system requirements link in the box on the right on this page.
You will see that it runs in 32 bit emulation mode on 64 bit systems.

Yes - Discs can be finalised.

There is a 15 day free trial which you can download from the same place.

Re NTSC setting , see page 125 Column A of the manual.
Don't forget to change it back before doing any other recordings.

Nero is a well established and respected software suite.
The multimedia suite 10 is suitable for your needs.

Click on the system requirements link in the box on the right on this page.
You will see that it runs in 32 bit emulation mode on 64 bit systems.

Yes - Discs can be finalised.

There is a 15 day free trial which you can download from the same place.

Re NTSC setting , see page 125 Column A of the manual.
Don't forget to change it back before doing any other recordings.

Old thread, but I thought I'd use it instead of opening a new one as I'm having this issue with another disc (gave up on the other one).

Initial Setup > Basic > Input Line System is on PAL/SECAM and is greyed out. NTSC is there, but it won't let me select it - keeps saying 'this function cannot be used now'. Why is that? The disc is NTSC but the recorder's set to PAL, which explains the dubbing issue, but how do I get round that if it's greyed out? The 'hold stop and press input select' method doesn't work either.

It's saying that regardless of whether there's a disc or not, or whether the system is recording or not.

Old thread, but I thought I'd use it instead of opening a new one as I'm having this issue with another disc (gave up on the other one).

Initial Setup > Basic > Input Line System is on PAL/SECAM and is greyed out. NTSC is there, but it won't let me select it - keeps saying 'this function cannot be used now'. Why is that? The disc is NTSC but the recorder's set to PAL, which explains the dubbing issue, but how do I get round that if it's greyed out? The 'hold stop and press input select' method doesn't work either.

It's saying that regardless of whether there's a disc or not, or whether the system is recording or not.

Do you have timers programmed that are waiting to happen?

This may be locking the machine as it would have to make those timers in an appropriate Video mode.

If this is the case, you could try removing them.

Possibly this.....
I dont think you can "mix" PAL and NTSC recordings.
The hard drive might well need to be empty first.

OK, thanks for that guys - I'll give both things a try.

Nope. Neither method worked - it's still greyed out. I also tried running setup again; it's still greyed out.

Things which may impact on this limitation:

If connected by HDMI, remove it and connect by scart and see if you can change the setting.

Resolution setting may be restricting the setting.

The current input selected (Digital TV for example restricts some sub settings related to NTSC) Try different input selections.

Using guide plus can restrict NTSC issues. Switch to the other EPG if so.

The NTSC on PAL TV setting (Page 131) may impact. (This setting should normally be OFF in the UK as most TV's are dual standard.)

Nice one mate, it's dubbing now - hopefully it'll complete with no further errors. Good information to know for the future as well. :) Trying PAL/SECAM or NTSC on LINE 1 did the trick.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom