Sony HXD 860/870 price

Steve Fox

Standard Member
Why is the 860 selling for around £60 more than the 870?
Is the 860 out of production? If so it seems a little strange for it to be more expensive, unless of course it's a better machine. It certainly looks to have better build quality. I don't possess either a DVD recorder or PVR at the moment, and I'm so confused by all the faults on these machines that I don't know what to buy!

M

Miller

I have had both machines, flogged the 860 to the mother in law. I think the epg was simpler to understand on the 860. The time list on the 870 shows a moving thumbnail of what you have recorded. I bought the 870 because it allows higher res jpeg images to be displayed (860 is just 720x480) and also the 1080p upscale, useful if you have a 1080p screen (although some would argue you can't notice any difference).

There are some issues with advance epg timings on the 870 (see the thread) but I never knew about or tested this on the 860.

In in all, I prefer the 870 and as you said it's cheaper.

Steve Fox

Standard Member
I have had both machines, flogged the 860 to the mother in law. I think the epg was simpler to understand on the 860. The time list on the 870 shows a moving thumbnail of what you have recorded. I bought the 870 because it allows higher res jpeg images to be displayed (860 is just 720x480) and also the 1080p upscale, useful if you have a 1080p screen (although some would argue you can't notice any difference).

There are some issues with advance epg timings on the 870 (see the thread) but I never knew about or tested this on the 860.

In in all, I prefer the 870 and as you said it's cheaper.
Many thanks for the info - hopefully the 870 timer issue will soon be sorted.
Storing and showing jpegs is definitely of interest to me, so I may well go for the 870.....Steve

nigeltant

Standard Member
Steve - I had an 860 for a while but took it back because it kept switching my TV on in the middle of the night (!) and the sound through the HDMI link was sometimes distorted. I then found I could buy an 870 or 970 for the same price, so I now have the 970. It seems fine, and I would say the build quality is better if anything - certainly not any worse. The display is a bit nicer too...and you can get it in black which suited my setup. Everything works fine. The freeview EPG doesn't look quite as nice (who really cares?), but I gather the 870, 970 etc now have Panasonic innards so some of the on screen displays probably derive from that source. Brilliant recording quality, and I saw last night that the 970 is What Hi-Fi's choice now as well. I paid around £270 for the 970 - bargain I reckon!

Stevieboy_uk

I have an 870 and apart from the timer issues mentioned earlier (there are ways around this. I believe it is something to do with the EPG link function but don't quote me on that!) I think it is a great machine.

I had a Pioneer DVR-420 HDD Recorder before which I was very pleased with but the price for the newer Pioneers were a bit high for me.

A bonus was you get both an analogue and digital tuner in the Sony (my digital reception is not that great yet) but not in the high price Pioneers.

I have just seen the 870 at £199 on digital-direct website (I paid £217).

Steve Fox

Standard Member
I have an 870 and apart from the timer issues mentioned earlier (there are ways around this. I believe it is something to do with the EPG link function but don't quote me on that!) I think it is a great machine.

I had a Pioneer DVR-420 HDD Recorder before which I was very pleased with but the price for the newer Pioneers were a bit high for me.

A bonus was you get both an analogue and digital tuner in the Sony (my digital reception is not that great yet) but not in the high price Pioneers.

I have just seen the 870 at £199 on digital-direct website (I paid £217).
Thanks for that Stevieboy - I'm getting pretty good vibes about the 870, it would be nice if the epg timer glitch was sorted though. makes you wonder how on earth can it have been released with such an obvious fault?

HHGTTG

Thanks for that Stevieboy - I'm getting pretty good vibes about the 870, it would be nice if the epg timer glitch was sorted though. makes you wonder how on earth can it have been released with such an obvious fault?

Surely the solution to the digital EPG timer problems is to use the alternative Guideplus+ EPG providing, of course you can/have enabled the analogue tuner for the necessary ITV1 host channel. You're welcome to all this series link business as, IMHO it is a bit of a gimmick (useful though some might think it is).

Stevieboy_uk

Surely the solution to the digital EPG timer problems is to use the alternative Guideplus+ EPG providing, of course you can/have enabled the analogue tuner for the necessary ITV1 host channel. You're welcome to all this series link business as, IMHO it is a bit of a gimmick (useful though some might think it is).

To be honest I pretty much agree but I like the fact that with the link facility enabled the recording pretty much starts and finishes when the program is transmitted. I rarely record days in advance unless I am going away and the timer can be set up manually for that with no issues so I don't find it a problem just more of an annoyance that it does not work.

As I said I like the 870 and it has loads of good features. I think there are issues with most makes on the market (or else these forums would be pretty quiet ;))

nigeltant

Standard Member
I have been testing out my timer recording using the EPG over the last week since I read this thread and my 970 seems fine (and I guess the electronics are the same as the 870). It waits for the programme to start etc. If it is the same as PDC on VCRs then it relies on a bod at the BBC, or wherever, pressing a button somewhere...when I complained once I was told he had forgotten (well, it was at some unearthly hour in the morning!!).

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom