Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Sony HXD 710 - Quick question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Joolie, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Joolie

Joolie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After much deliberation and investigation, I've decided to buy a Sony HXD 710. I have one query....when recording programmes do you get the option of adding an extra 10 mins onto the recording time? ITV have a bad habit of over running on programmes so I always like to add time on.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation! :lease:

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,551
    If you are refering to recording from the Freeview EPG I'm sure I read a review by Rasczak saying that none of the Sony recorders allow padding at the begining and end of recordings. The Panasonic recorder with Freeview does allow padding. Here is one of the reviews by Rasczak.

3. Joolie

Joolie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks JohnG for the info. As yet we don't have freeview in the Scottish Borders area although we should be fully digital by 2008. I have heard of one person in my village who can receive freeview so hopefully I can too. :thumbsup:

Presumably if I set up the recorder outwith EPG I will be able to add time on at the end.

4. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember the 710 has ONLY got a FREEVIEW tuner so if you cannot get Freeview it will not be able to record from its own tuner!!!!

The Panasonic EH60D on the other hand has both Analogue and Freeview tuner so this may be a better bet for you!

With the Panasonic use the analogue now and use the Digital tuner when the service becomes available.

AB-P

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Although, if you purchase your Sony HX710 from Pixmania.com, you'll be getting the European version, which has analog tuner.
    If you hang on 'til the end of next month, JVC will have the MH300 out - fairly sure there'll be no change to spec as per JVC Germany, so that means:
    DVD dual layer support
    160 GB HDD
    HDMI and scaler - so 720p/1080i output of DVDs
    RGB SCART in - until recently, JVC's input SCART was Composite AV only.
    Essentially this is the Sony HX910 beater, which it does by £100.

Pixmnia have the 910 for £469, a couple of online stores (ASKDigital being one?) has the JVC for £369.
    A bit more than £320 or thereabouts for the 710 at Pixmania, but more for you're money.

6. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bypassing build-in tuner. If you set manual timer you can add extra time while timer recording. You can add extra time with 10 mins intervals up to 60 mins.

ArtS :cool:

7. Joolie

Joolie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all your replies. Taking into account the comments that have been made am I right in saying that I cannot record on this HD DVD recorder unless my transmitter is sending out the Freeview signal? Surely I can set the recorder manually without using EPG until I have a Freeview signal? The european model from Pixmania has analog but I don't think it's multiregional? :confused:

Forgive me if I take time in replying....I only have access to a computer at lunchtime and when I'm home.

8. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joolie,

Yes you can set the timer manually without the EPG but what are you going to record?

Untill you have Freeview the unit will not pick up any TV channels!

If you choose to buy a european version of this machine as you say the Pixmania version, yes you can record the old analogue signal but this is all the machine is capable of.

If as you say freeview in the Scottish Borders area will be available by 2008 does this mean this is when your old analogue signal will be turned off? if it does you will again have a machine thal will not be able to record from it's own tuner!

AB-P

9. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,551
    The problem you will have if you buy this recorder is that it does not have an analogue tuner and so can only record from it's inbuilt freeview tuner.

10. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Save yourself the heartache and purchase the Panasonic DMR-EH60D which has both the Freeview and analogue tuners. You can also use padding on this machine.

11. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only repeat what ROYOLD has said. it will save a lot of confusion if you buy the Panasonic DMR-EH60D

12. Joolie

Joolie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all replies and suggestions. I will check out the panasonic. According to Sony I should be able to record via scart sockets connected to my SKy digi box until we receive freeview through the aerial. I was also thinking of ordering Sky+ (watch one digi channel and record another) and there's a good deal coming up in December. Free box, free connection but the catch is you have to take a premium channel plus multiroom but still it's worth considering. I have a Sony TV so I suppose I'm thinking the Sony DVD recorder would be more compatible :smashin:

Any comments would be appreciated?

Going now to check out the Panasonic........ :thumbsup:

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,551
    Sorry Joolie, didn't realise you had Sky as well. You will be able to record stuff from Sky in the meantime, but with the Panasonic you will also be able to record from the terrestrial signal (for example your favourite soap on ITV ;) ) and still watch a channel on Sky at the same time. This assumes that you have a decent terrestrial signal !

14. Joolie

Joolie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks JohnG for your reply but I will still check out the Panasonic that was mentioned Royold :hiya: Worth a look anyway.

Thanks to all for your input.

15. OT31

OT31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Can anyone confirm the Sony HX710 from Pixmania.com has both analogue and digital tuners?

Also, is there anywhere on-line I can download a manual?

I am thinking of getting rid of a Pioneer 530 to replace with a freeview recorder.

Thanks

16. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    No - I too thought ALL DVDRs had analog tuners still. In the Sony case - it's one or other. The giveaway is lack of D after HX.
    So, if you want Freeview in-built, look for HXD710, not HX710, which is regular analog flavour.

17. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OT31
    None of the current Sony models have this facility!

Read the posts above they will give you all of the info you request!

AB-P

18. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Any links for more details?
    Does it have Freeview and what kind of discs does it use?
    Are you also saying that JVC quality is better than Sony?

19. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Well, given it has now got RGB in on the SCART, the quality should be much better than previously. Mind you, my partner has the DRM10B, and NTL analog - the image is more than acceptable via RF at FR180 - 3 hours on DVD-RAM.
    The MH300 doesn't have Freeview like the UK HXD910 unit does, but if you were to buy the HX910 from Pixmaia, you'd be buying a European Freeview-less unit. In other words, it'd have an RF unit instead of Freeview tuner.
    If you search www.google.co.uk with the UK option set, for JVC MH-300, you'll find a couple of UK resellers with image and details, as well as price.
    It's due November according to the PR company I spoke with.

20. Joolie

Joolie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the Sony HX 710 from Pixmania is a French model and is both an analogue and digital tuner. Try search on this forum, I'm sure there are postings confirming this. :hiya:

21. HelenS

HelenS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there are lots of postings indicating the opposite - that it's analogue only. Would a French digital tuner be compatible with the UK's Freeview transmissions anyway?

There's no mention of a digital tuner on Sony's French site either (actually they don't mention the tuner at all but you'd think they would if it was digital!).

22. Joolie

Joolie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes you are right HelenS :oops: . I tried to edit my reply but run out of time (short lunchbreak). However it is correct to say that the model pixmania are selling is French. Check the techspecs where it states it's a French manual. :smashin:

Since you've stated that you own the Panasonic EH60d, can you tell me if I can transfer from VHS tapes to disc?

Thanks Joolie

23. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    All dvd recorders can transfer from VHS to dvd discs.

24. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pixmania sells European version of HX710/910, so it HAS ONLY analog tuner, but it supports all Euro and UK/Ireland systems. Warning: As I know, it has only French manual.

ArtS :cool:

25. Joolie

Joolie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks ROYOLD and ARTs, much appreciated! I'm keeping an eye on pricerunner as I've decided to go for the Panasonic EH60d. Some of the suppliers must be out of stock and the price has risen by about £15 in the last few weeks. I'm sure that when the suppliers have more in stock the price will drop. I'd wait till the new year and pick up a bargain but my hubby would like it for Christmas and what he says goes :)

Thanks again for your posts.....isn't this a great site!!!!

26. louisg

louisg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Is there any point getting a freewiew tuner built in if you have sky already?

Louis

27. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    .....you pay for sky TV. You DO NOT pay for freeview.

Even if you have the Freesat from sky which gives you the freeview digital channels and a few others for a one off payment, Sky have said that they may review this option.
    i.e. It is not guaranteed to be free indefinitely. So what happens when they charge for it?

If you are purchasing a dvd recorder - then consider one with both freeview and analogue tuners. It just might save you some cash in the future.

28. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    To record directly from digital.
    To gain the oportunity to record more than one digital channel (or if you have Sky+ to record 3 digital channels).
    To view some channels FREE which Sky shows encoded - eg E4.
    To give you the oportunity to view all major channels FREE without a subscription to Sky - if you want to reduce your outgoings.

29. louisg

louisg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thank you for replys. makes sense now.

Louisg

30. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hope someone can help me here. I am trying to decide between the Sony HX710 or Pioneer 530. I am living in Ireland and plan to buy from pixmania as both are the same price. I mainly want it to do the following;
    1. Main playback machine for DVDs
    2. Archive recordings from sky+ to DVD
    Playback of home movies burned to DVD from my mac.

When copying from sky+ I will copy over a full HD from sky to the DVDR, edit out ads and burn to DVD. This will be a number of different programs and when playing back the DVD I want to be able to skip from 1 program to another quite easily.
    Also is 1 device quicker than the other at copying to DVD