1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony HX910 vs. Panasonic DMR-E500

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tadek, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Tadek

Tadek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been waiting now for SONY RDR-HX910. It seems that they are fixing there the problems of HX900/1000. The new machine will have 30 positions in timer instead of 8, will have a divide function and will record on 2-layer DVDs (8.5GB). New Sonys will be released - at least in Germany, Austria, France, Czech Rep. - in May 2005. There will be HX-710 version with 160GB HDD; 910 will have 250GB.

I now have a choice between new Sonys and Panasonic DMR-E500. Does anyone have a clue on this?

Dear Rasczak, you mentioned that Sony has worse 1st generation encoder than Panasonic - could you please explain it a bit deeper?

A couple of threads ago I was trying to figure out fan noise of HX1000. I read some negative comments about it from German and other Western Europe users. I finally went to the store and asked them to plug it in so as to hear myself. It was working perfectly quietly - quieter than a regular PC fan, quieter than a VHS machine - and the machine was made in Hungary. Maybe there are differences in components (fans) used betwen Germany / Western manufacturing plants and Hungarian plant?

Could anyone compare the picture quality between HX1000 and DMR-E500? This would also give a clue. All sources say that until 90 mins. the picture is comparable, is it really so?

I clearly see the differences between the PC MPEG encoders, some of them produce sharper picture, some of them have lower quantization (i.e. better picture) but the picture is not sharp.

Looking forward to comments and help!

2. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sounds as though Sony are sorting things at last.
    However will the spec you describe be the sam for the UK?
    For example will the UK get Digital Tuner(s) but not the other improvements?

3. Tadek

Tadek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess so, in case of HX 900/1000 there were differences in specs only between Europe / US / Japan. US versions had the 30 timer positions, while all European versions, incl. UK, Germany and Hungary, had the same specs.