Sony HX910 RF output & Play list reverse.!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jim Pixel, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Jim Pixel

Jim Pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Make no mistake about it, the Sony HX910 is a great recorder but I am slightly puzzled by a few things...

1). Does this unit have an RF output? It's my first DvD recorder and when I try to tune it into my Philips 32 inch widescreen, I can't find the channel it should appear on, like any old inline device such as a VCR does... Since it has an antenna input and ouput, I would suspect that it should have an RF output signal of its own. As of yet, the only way I can watch anything is through the AV connections. I have tried many times to find its output throughout the TV's RF range, but No Go... I'm not that worried about this but I was just wondering... Mind you, RF would degrade any video signal quality, wouldn't it..???

2). When burning mulitple titles from HDD to DvD-R (or whatever) the titles appear in reverse order, when burned... eg.. I recorded, named and selected for burning, in this order...

Dads Army 01
    Dads Army 02
    Dads Army 03
    Dads Army 04
    etc

Only, after the burn, they appeared like this in the titles list...
    Dads Army 04
    Dads Army 03
    Dads Army 02
    Dads Army 01

Why....????

2. ABP

ABP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No RF Modulator on the Sony. RF in/out is only for the tuner input and to loop the aerial to the TV

Only Panasonic have RF Modulators on their DVD Recorders as far as i know.

AB-P

3. ArtS

ArtS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reverse order (from newer to older) is only when you display DVD content using Title List. Title List is reverse sorted by default. If you display DVD menu using Top Menu you should see properly sorted content. Of course you can sort Title List as you want using Tools Menu.

ArtS :cool:

4. sodgob

sodgob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am looking to buy either the sony HX710 or HX910 can anyone tell me if the only diff. is the size of the hard drive .
    many thanks.

5. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    910 has HDMI and upscaling additions. So, not HDD size only.

6. sodgob

sodgob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pjskel many thanks for your reply ...please excuse my ignorance .can you tell me what HDMI & upscaling is ...at this moment in time ..i am only wanting to record general TV programs & films from the TV.
    & wondered if i would have sufficiend hard drive space with 160 gb.
    many thanks for your patience.

7. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    HDMI is the digital interface (connection) that HI-Def units need to connect to one another. Upscaling is where the signal is tweaked to output more lines of resolution than it actually has - 500 odd for DVD to 720. It guesses what might have been in between the lines using sophisticated mathematics (algorithm).
    If you don't have an LCD or Plasma TV, then it's of no immediate benefit. In fact, it's no real benefit period, other than giving your DVDs a pseudo HD look, which only HD Ready TVs can make use of.
    Better waiting until HD is broadcast and HD recorders are in the market - they too will upscale your regular DVDs, as well as recording HD transmissions.
    Next Feb/Mar for Sky+ HD - 12-18 months later for NTL HD.

Personally, I'd go with the 710 or Panasonic's EH60 as the ones to opt for at this juncture. HD recorders will likely be £500 with larger HDDs in 3 years time, once HD has started to really catch on amd become more commonplace than the niche audience/user base it will have before then.

160 GB should be plenty for SP quality - and with the Sony, dual layer DVD for archiving, you're well sorted. Panny's 200 GB and better LP quality pushes the recording time further before you need to archive and wipe. But then only single layer DVDs can be used. So, a lot of what your asking will depend on a few factors.
    Spend some or a lot of time doing the maths and research, before jumping to a decision. It's a lot of money to spend for the next 3 years or so usage - so make sure you make the right choice.

Make sense?

8. sodgob

sodgob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks pjskel your reply was really greatly appreciated , nice to know there is a friendly expert close to hand , i'm not too bothered about HD i will use it with a loewe planus 32" & i'm sure the picture will be fine for what we require. i have decided on the 710 , all i need to find out about now is if it comes in multi region version form as if i'm spending that money i'd like to know i can use all purched dvd's. once again many thanks.