Sony HX910 and the 5:15 a.m issue...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jim Pixel, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Jim Pixel

Jim Pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have owned my HX910 for about 6 months now and for most of that time, I have been relatively happy and impressed with it... Early one morning I awoke to what I thought was something mechanical switched on in my room without my knowledge,, then as quick as I noticed it, whoof, silence again... Ahh, it must have been a ghost - back to sleep...

This kept happening for what I thought was a handful of times, at randomn, over a longish period of time but I never was quick enough to actually source the point of origin of this sound, A whirrrrr click clack, silence for a few seconds, then whirrr click clack again, then silence for the rest of the night/ morning. The only reason I actually noticed it was because most mornings I usually get up at 4 a.m then after a coffee, back to bed to catnap until about 6:30,, time to get up and off to work.. So, I am mostly awake but still drowsy at these hours.

After about 2 months, this started to really amuse me. I never really did bother to actually find it, because by this time, whatever it was, it was not doing any harm, but by this time I had noticed that it was dead regular, every morning and all of a sudden I noticed that I saw 5:15 a.m on the alarm clock in my room whenever it happened. Why didn't I get concerned??? Because it was a very quiet sound, even at 5:15 a.m when even an ant fart would wake the dead...

Ok, I stayed awake one morning after my coffee and caught the culprit. Yes, it was the HX910.. But WHY??? I asked some of you lot in here and some of you said something about a ritual update that it goes through every day, updating something on the HDD or similar...

Just the other day, I phoned Sony and asked them about it and they said this is not usual at all. As a matter of fact the support guy I spoke to, was so amused by this, that he asked a handful of tech guys and none of them knew anything about this occurence. He phoned me back and gave me the usual B/S about checking the program timer to make sure there wasn't an event set for every day,, but like I said to him, "I don't set the timer to record half a minute every morning" and besides, there's no new HDD recording every day".. This really stumped him and he asked me to bring it in so they could witness it for themselves, but I can't be stuffed going in there for a non event. Afterall, it doesn't do any harm, so I figure it can carry on doing it forever as long as it works OK any other time, which it does... I told him that some of you guys told me it happens to you too (maybe not at 5:15 every morning though,, or maybe it does too), but again he thinks that there is a normal exlanation for this...

Just what is it, when is it,, AND,, how do you know it is so...???

Can you guys tell me..??? Just so I can actually lay this one to rest, now that I am constantly thinking about it...

2. lazyhazysparky

lazyhazysparky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's the machine downloading the latest copy of the EPG (although I've never had this confirmed)

mark...:hiya:

3. JB38

JB38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    As Sony themselves dont have an instant answer on this peculiar problem, there obviously has to be some devious reason for it happening.

Purely as a shot in the dark, so to speak!, I would like you to try disconnecting the HX910 from the outside world by leaving the aerial unplugged last thing at night, the thinking behind this being to completely exclude any remote possibility of any transmitted command signals affecting it.

Of course any effect from sources like that being more applicable to something with PDC, but in situations such as yours anything is worth a try.

edit: just noticed my theory has clashed with lazyhazysparky's posting on similar lines of thought!

4. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    hi ive seen this problem on a rdr-310,i would have to agree its the freeview its either updating the epg or its updating the freeview itself,..........or i would call a priest to preform a exorcism:eek: :rolleyes: .....:D

5. Jim Pixel

Jim Pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers - Thanks for the replies..

I know it's a strange one to answer and if Sony don't know, it's even stranger but I thought I would at least like to phone them and tell them about their product. Quite often, tech guys don't fully read manuals and the small things are the ones that are never fully understood and never answered, such as this 5:15 saga, probably because there is need to even know about them...

Ah well, perhaps it's all a waste of time pusuing it, or, maybe I'll just call father Merrin, mind you, I don't don't want to become the Linda Blair (The Exorcist) of this address...

Thanks guys..

6. JB38

JB38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It would still be interesting to know the result, if as I suggested, you left the aerial unplugged over night, as your device cant try to download something if it doesnt receive any "over air" commands to do so. (unless of course this action is built into the software!)

7. JerryU

JerryU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My Sony 710 does the same thing - most nights between about 5am and 7am. I'm surprised the Sony tech guys don't know about it. It's referred to in the 710/910 manual - it's the machine automatically updating the EPG.

Spooky but not a fault.

8. JB38

JB38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for clarifying the situation JerryU, and I suppose as Jim Pixel (and yourself) have mentioned, tech guys dont always read the equipment operating manuals (guilty myself on this aspect!), possibly because of being more involved with delving into the depth of schematic diagrams.

9. JerryU

JerryU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    For anyone else that's interested, it's on page 109 of the manual - under Troubleshooting 'Others'. I should have mentioned that on previous post.

10. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    What EPG? Jim is in New Zealand (if I recall correctly) so didn't think there was one.
    (off topic Jim - saw The World's Fastest Indian just before - brilliant! :thumbsup: )

11. JerryU

JerryU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Electronic Programme Guide.

12. sjw

sjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    :confused: What?

13. dicky

dicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Whoaa - Freaky - just caught this thread - guess what my
    machine does this at this time..wait for it, it is a Panasonic
    EH50 - no EPG at all, sometimes wakes me up in the morning
    (it is in the bedroom) - I just thought it was downloading
    something (god knows what though).

14. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

I think a lot of reusing of the same firmware goes on, so while an EPG equipped machine will have a need to turn on and download data, a non-EPG machine has no such need, but still has the "timer" in the firmware waking the machine up.

A similar pattern is seen on the Sony DVD recorders and Panasonic ones.

Regards

Phil

15. Jim Pixel

Jim Pixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hey, thanks for these replies... Sorry I didn't respond sooner to one or two of them, as I just took the first I have had break in 9 years, just a couple of days fishing, ufortunately spoiled by high winds (not too healthy in a small boat - big waves strong currents etc) but the scenery was breathtaking. I needed that to recharge the batteries... It's the first time I have physically left the house (other than work, hopsital etc), in all that time...

Anyway, I have to be honest, I didn't know what EPG is (until I saw above - Electronic Programme Guide). It must pertain to something that you guys have over in Europe. I will get out my manual and find this section, if it exists in our manual...

dicky,,
    Its freaky isn't it... Every morning at 5:15 on the dot it happens with mine. I've got used to it now of course, but now I find myself awake before it happens and waiting for it, so there's the reverse effect.. Brainwashed.!!!! I think it's updating my head...

sjw,,,
    I've yet to see TWF Indian. My brothers all have and tell me it was a great film but I have been so wrapped up in work that I have no time to go out at all... Maybe when it appears on DvD, I'll grab it, buy it or whatever, and enjoy it in my room...

16. herky10

herky10
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah,my 910 activates itself on between 4:00am and 7:00am every morning-which is slightly annoying as I'm a light sleeper!-Is there any way to change the EPG download time,I wonder?-During the day would be preferable for me,when I'm at work.-Anybody???

17. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Hi Jim

What about changing the clock on the machine ... by a known amount - to see if the event is triggered by an internal control rather than an external one.

... or you could put the clock just before 5:15 and see if that 'forces' the event

Gavin