1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY HX900 of-air rec problem

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by EN, Jan 7, 2005.

1. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed strange artefact in recording from broadcast program on my SONY 900 (I can't see it from line or I-link material).
    With pook broadcast program some parts of the picture have some kind of delay when moving. It is most noticeable in the human skin and other surfaces with more complex colour.
    I tried different recording modes like HSP, SP and LP, most visible in the last.
    With my other HDD recorder - JVC, everything looks fine.
    Does anybody notice the same?
    Tuner problem may be?

2. thames

thames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed the same thing when watching programmes from my Sky box through the Sony 900. It's like a digital delay on part of the picture. The pictures also appear slightly noisier than when sky goes direct to the TV. It's almost like some encoding or extra interpolation is going on. The pictures are also very slightly darker through the dvd recorder than when going direct. I switched scart leads to check if that was the problem and switched the output/inputs but it still does it. It's not so bad my wife notices but I do and it's annoying. It's a multi-region version and I was wondering if that could effect it?

I also posted a few days ago that the picture darkened slightly when watching a programme with subtitles through the tuner but got no response.

Is anyone else experiencing this with their Sony's?

3. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My SONY is region 2, no modification.

4. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else?

5. Cippico

Cippico
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No problems with mine, although I have a major issue with Smartlink communications between it and a Sony VTX-D800U digibox.

Anyone else disappointed that the 900:
    1. Doesn't do proper 'pause live TV'? (clunky at best)
    2. Won't copy any DVD material (other than created by itself) to the HDD?

Andy

6. thames

thames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't know it wouldn't copy to hard drive, are you sure? Why is that? Have you tried watching anything using the Sony tuner? Any strange artefacting?

7. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can't copy any DVD with copyprotection (almost any commercial DVD).
    Tonoght I will try to wacht SONY tuner without recording.

8. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Dear Thames,

check that the NR is switched off on Rec. settings on tools menu, this might cause the problem of the delay you're talking about.

The picture shouldn't appear noisier going through your HX900. I've got one and it's multi-region. It actually makes the picture sharper with more depth and
    better colours with my Sky+ going through it than going straight from it to the TV.

The only other thing it might be is if you haven't got the scart switched to the right settings in the setup page. I presume you are using scart connectors? Anyway,
    if it's not set to RGB output to your TV and RGB/Video on the L3 input then this might explain the loss in quality, or it's faulty. I was immediately impressed with the HX900's picture flowthrough (much better than two different panasonic DMRE95's I tried).

Hope this helps.

Tim.

9. thames

thames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input Tim. I'll check over these points at the weekend when I have time.

I'm using scarts. I did wonder about NR, it's that type of correction that appears to be going on, but will it make a difference turning it off on Rec even though I'm not actually recording but just watching through the Sony. (that's if it's on - I'll check) Also, in previous post, I mentioned that using the Sony tuner with a weak RF areial input, I experienced a picture correction, like a contrast change, every time subtitles or captions appeared. Would this be cured too? I did look for NR options in the manual but found no options for switching on or off while watching programmes, only possible whilst recording or playing back. Looking closely tonight, I also noticed the same dimming effect everytime a caption came up (although not so pronounced) whilst watching the news from the Sky box through the recorder scart to the TV.

I hope you're suggestions work, I'd be loathed to have to take this back. I'll update in a week or so.

10. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timbo,
    please tell us your video setting to check, because I see problems in standart settings and DVE off.

11. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Generally I leave YNR & CNR always on 2. If I am playing back a DVD-Video I leave
    BNR & DVE off. If I am playing back a DVD-R or similar I've recorded, then I normally set both of these to 2.

Rec. settings I haven't messed with and factory preset would have NR on this page set to off. I think this would be (possibly) noticeable if it was on while watching TV without recording.

I haven't used the in built tuner that much and have only recorded tuner programs
    twice, but I was impressed with the quality compared to my Sky+ box, which is what I use normally.

The best way of using the HX900 I found was to always record in HQ+ on HDD. And then archive material to DVD using HSP, SP, or LP. This works the best since
    you will be utilising the automatic "2-pass variable bit rate" function.

If you record straight to HDD in SP/LP mode the results are pretty poor. But if you
    record as above in HQ+ mode on HDD and then dub down to HQ/HSP/SP/LP as mentioned above the results are a lot better.

Tim.

12. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a second generation copy from HQ+ to DVD HSP.
    Normally it can't be better. I recorder tens of disk and I am convinced to use one one generation digital copy, hence I record in final mode SP, HSP, HQ.

I tried to watch only tuner without recording program, I'm not absolutely sure but I can't see any artefacts.

13. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I think with the current DVD recorders that if there is artefacts in the original broadcast then they will exagerate it, especially when recording in SP or LP.

I originally bought a Panasonic DMRE95, but I found that even in the highest
    record mode (XP) that artefacts were exagerated and skin tone became blurred
    and a bit fuzzy/fizzy and even more so in SP. I changed it for the Sony and found
    it much better. I do find in SP skin tones suffer in their detail, but much better
    than the Panasonic. It's very hard to judge unless using something like Sky+
    where you can compare the original.

You say your JVC is much better. I would be surprised if it gave better recordings
    than the Sony. If this is the case then I would seriously think about getting it swapped.

14. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a mounth I used JVC to watch TV program with 40 min delay (chase playback) and everything looked fine.
    Than I switched to SONY to do the same and I saw it right away.

15. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I would take it back then. Doesn't sound right. Internal tuner picture looks very good on mine.

I played a tennis DVD I had recorded on the Panny DMRE95 last night and
    the recording quality was so much worse than on my Sony i.e. loads of artefacts and some of what you described. However, lots of people on
    this forum say how great they are. I wonder if sometimes various makes
    just have faulty mpeg encoders?

Most people seem to agree that the Sony has the best quality up to 2 hrs.,
    but not over that. Therefore if you get these problems in HSP & SP modes, which don't occur on the JVC with the same setup, then it must be faulty.
    I must say I was very critical of PQ and the DMRE95 was good on normal
    programs, but rubbish on sport and I've found the Sony to be great on everything!

Good luck,

Tim.