Sony HX900 issues

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by leng, Dec 12, 2004.

1. leng

leng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just obtained one of these to replace my increasingly unreliable Phillips R75. For what I want to do, it seems fine (the odd restriction on not supporting widescreen mode in +R/RW disks aside) but there are two things which are bugging me.

1. The widescreen/4:3 switch signal from my Sky decoder seems to be suppressed by the Sony (I have Sky<-scart->Sony<-scart->TV). This was working fine with the Phillips.

2. +R recordings from the Sony will not play back on my Toshiba. The ones from the Phillips played fine, although I admit this was a surprise to me.

Any suggestions, particularly on issue (1) ?

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You are not the first to notice this. The WS trigger is carried in two ways: on 'line 23' of the picture and pin 8 of the scart.

Sky suppress (do not provide) the line 23 signal and so far the Pioneers and now it seems Sony will not work on the scart pin 8 signal.

This is probably because scart is a European peculiarity and the Japanese machines do the minimum to support scart.
    If other people can give position on Panasonic and Toshiba it would be useful....

There is a gadget here: http://www.amcro.co.uk/wss208.htm which will take a scart input with pin 8 trigger and add it to line line 23 on a scart output.

3. leng

leng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a bit of further info - it appears that the sony only supresses the widescreen signal when it is powered off. When powered on, the tv switches correctly.

I'll have a look at your gizmo. Thanks for the info

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It seems that your setup is sky--->sony--->TV using scarts.

1. If you connect the sky box directly to the TV, does the TV switch OK?
    If so it implies the TV is recognising the pin 8 signal, assuming the sky does not provide a line 23 signal as well.

2. Sony is connected and Off: I would expect the sky signal to go straight through unchanged (on all scart pins), so the TV should be OK. But it isn't :confused:

3. Sony connected and On: The TV is OK when the Sony is On, so either the sony is passing pin 8 through or it is converting it to a line 23 signal (with or without pin 8 signal output as well)

4. You can find out if your TV recognises a line 23 signal by finding a ch 4 terrestrial widescreen program (assuming your TV can receive terrestrial channels), as ch4 is the only terrestrial channel to transmit WS line 23 signal.

If all the above are true, then the Sony is suppressing pin 8 on passthrough but allowing it during power on and/or converting it to line 23 signal.

If 1, 2, 3 are true but 4 is not, then the Sony is passing pin 8 through during power on but not during power off, which seems strange but could be true.

The situation usually works the other way round from your description:
    The recorder power-off pass through lets the sky pin 8 signal go to the TV, which works OK as in (2).
    However, the recorders don't recognise pin 8 signal so when powered on, the output (which has been through the recorder's cicuits) does not contain either pin 8 signal (because the recorder ignores it) or line 23 signal because the recorder has nothing from which to create it.

Do recordings play back with correct switching?